Dave Lee Travis arrested

Snippet off yahoo news.

" A 1977 episode of Top Of The Pops featuring Mr Travis was due to be shown on BBC4 on Thursday night but has been pulled.

A BBC spokesman said: "In the light of today's news, we have postponed tonight's Top Of The Pops.

"In its place we are showing next week's edition of TOTP presented by Kid Jensen."

Who are they trying to fool with their shenanigans?

Right I don't know why some posters persist with posting names of living people in this thread (despite being told many times not too), I have had to remove quite a few posts, we don't want to remove the thread as it is topical and therefore up for discussion.

I am sure you have heard that Lord McAlpine has instructed his Solicitors to start taking action against Blogs and Twitter users who named him

Don't even do it in a jokey way, Solicitors trawl Google for this type of thing, if people persist we will have to remove these types of thread

SWP's back said:
tidyman said:
A bit odd to me that people seem more concerned that a 14 year old child was working in a pub than the fact a man nearly twice her age was having sex with her.

It's generally accepted that girls grow up a lot quicker both mentally and physically now than they did 50 years ago so she was maybe on average the equivalent to a 12 or 13 year old today.

Was it really acceptable for men in their mid 20's to have sex with children in the 1950's?

Genuine question.
It still is in some EU countries.

Pa your use of the word "children" is misleading though, I would say a 17 or 16 year old is a child but that's legal and acceptable.

It is of course two completely different questions, what is legally and what is morally acceptable. And both can change depending on the country and the era.

I'll accept I used the word, children, to emphasize my point but I think it's fair to say that in the vast majority of civilised countries a 14 year old is classed as a child. I believe the age of consent in Holland is 14 but I'm still pretty sure they are legally children at that age.

The trouble with a definitive age, while it has to exist for the law to work,is it can throw up what can be seen as moral but legal outrage.

I think the vast majority of people would be a lot more outraged if their 16 year old daughter was having sex with a 40 year old man than if a few months before her birthday, they found out she was having sex with a 16 year old boy,just a few months older than her. But obviously the former is breaking no law and the latter is. Even though he would be highly unlikely to be prosecuted.

To get back to my question though. It was a genuine one. I am old but not old enough to remember the 50's. Do people think that back then, general public opinion was that it was totally acceptable for men in the mid 20's to be having sex with 14 year old females in this country?

I personally find that very hard to believe.

13 in Spain!

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Age_of_Consent_eu.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Age_of_Consent_eu.png</a>

I understand your point mate, it is just that each country varies greatly. Our age of 16 was founded in the same act that had homosexual sex down as an offence punishable by death in the 19th Century.

As I say my pop was 26, my mum was 16, they have enjoyed the best part of half a century together but I doubt they would have been accepted by society if they had gotten together nowadays. The moral Zeitgeist changes all the time.<br /><br />-- Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:56 pm --<br /><br />
Ducado said:
Right I don't know why some posters persist with posting names of living people in this thread (despite being told many times not too), I have had to remove quite a few posts, we don't want to remove the thread as it is topical and therefore up for discussion.

I am sure you have heard that Lord McAlpine has instructed his Solicitors to start taking action against Blogs and Twitter users who named him

Don't even do it in a jokey way, Solicitors trawl Google for this type of thing, if people persist we will have to remove these types of thread
Very right too, I hear ric and some users could be liable to thousands of pounds in fines.

SWP's back said:
13 in Spain!

<a class="postlink" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Age_of_Consent_eu.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Age_of_Consent_eu.png</a>

I understand your point mate, it is just that each country varies greatly. Our age of 16 was founded in the same act that had homosexual sex down as an offence punishable by death in the 19th Century.

As I say my pop was 26, my mum was 16, they have enjoyed the best part of half a century together but I doubt they would have been accepted by society if they had gotten together nowadays. The moral Zeitgeist changes all the time.

To be honest I shouldn't be getting all moral with anyone. My first wife was only just 16 to my 23 when I met her. She looked a lot older though so that's alright.

I'm interested in these countries with what seem to me,to have ridiculously low ages of consent.

Do we know if there is any flexibility in these laws, possibly depending on the age of the other person?

I find it difficult to get my head round a scenario where a 50 year old man could have sex with a 13 year old girl in a reasonably civilised country like Spain, without any legal repercussions, assuming she consented.

tidyman said:
SWP's back said:
13 in Spain!

As I say my pop was 26, my mum was 16, they have enjoyed the best part of half a century together but I doubt they would have been accepted by society if they had gotten together nowadays. The moral Zeitgeist changes all the time.

To be honest I shouldn't be getting all moral with anyone. My first wife was only just 16 to my 23 when I met her. She looked a lot older though so that's alright.

I'm interested in these countries with what seem to me,to have ridiculously low ages of consent.

Do we know if there is any flexibility in these laws, possibly depending on the age of the other person?

I find it difficult to get my head round a scenario where a 50 year old man could have sex with a 13 year old girl in a reasonably civilised country like Spain, without any legal repercussions, assuming she consented.
But why mate? (the difficulty of getting your head round it). How likely is it? How many 13 year olds are going to want to get with a 50 year old. I struggle when I see 20 odd year olds with 50-80 year olds, as I am sure most of us do.

SWP's back said:
tidyman said:
SWP's back said:
13 in Spain!

But why mate? (the difficulty of getting your head round it). How likely is it? How many 13 year olds are going to want to get with a 50 year old. I struggle when I see 20 odd year olds with 50-80 year olds, as I am sure most of us do.

I struggle to see the future myself as i am 41(today) and my Mrs is 28, she has her own gaff, little lad, car etc and is an accountant but when i am 50 she will be 38, 60 and 48, it worries me a little. She looks that fkin young she was refused alcohol in Tesco and cigs from the coop for her mam lol.. she is adorable maaan but it concerns me anyway that the age gap for outsiders if anything will be " look at them two over there" kinda thing.

oh i, she chased me btw:).

Sorry for the thread deviate.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.