Dave Lee Travis arrested

I can see this really messing up the '70s TOTP repeats on BBC4. They will soon be to scared to show any of them where any of the R1 DJ's are cozying up to teenie fans. The fast show 'smashey and nicey' sketches are going to become a bit taboo too methinks.

SWP's back said:
mackenzie said:
It's getting to the point that anyone arrested but then released without any sign of a charge or conviction will always be tainted.

I'm a believer in someone being charged being given anonymity until such a time that they if/are convicted. And this isn't just in these high profile cases but others too over the years. There has been many a time when the victim is protected and yet the one accused has had their name all over the media. And I'm not just talking about the Internet either.
100% in agreement with you on this.

In principle it seems a fair idea but is it workable?

And is it in the public interest for NO ongoing court cases to be reported until or if, someone gets a guilty?

Unless you hold all court sittings in secrecy with no announcements and no public gallery, you would have all sorts of "inside" speculation and bullshit all over twitter/facebook/internet in any case with a bit of public interest.

Infact,you'd have it with or without a closed courtroom.
At least you know what the mainstream media report in an ongoing court case is going to be pretty accurate.

tidyman said:
SWP's back said:
mackenzie said:
It's getting to the point that anyone arrested but then released without any sign of a charge or conviction will always be tainted.

I'm a believer in someone being charged being given anonymity until such a time that they if/are convicted. And this isn't just in these high profile cases but others too over the years. There has been many a time when the victim is protected and yet the one accused has had their name all over the media. And I'm not just talking about the Internet either.

And is it in the public interest for NO ongoing court cases to be reported until or if, someone gets a guilty?

Unless you hold all court sittings in secrecy with no announcements and no public gallery, you would have all sorts of "inside" speculation and bullshit all over twitter/facebook/internet in any case with a bit of public interest.

At least you know what the mainstream media report in an ongoing court case is going to be pretty accurate.
no but in rapt cases the plaintiff is granted immunity so why can't the same go for the accused in all cases involving potential sex offences?

tidyman said:
SWP's back said:
mackenzie said:

There should be no names released until, and if, a guilty verdict is given.

There was a trial a few years back where a man was accused of raping a work colleague in a hotel. She got anonymity and he didn't.

The court case went on for a couple of weeks and he was found innocent, but in the meantime his name was reported every single time a paper ran the article.

He will always be tainted with the reporting, despite the verdict, and I fail to see what that served in the public interest anyway?!

Seems fair - why is one sex offence 'better' than another. In practice these things tend to take too long to sort out to keep a lid on things. Terrible to see an innocent life ruined by false allegations - even worse will be when one of these celeb nonces gets off on a technical mistrial because of t'internet/twitter.

SWP's back said:
tidyman said:
SWP's back said:

no but in rapt cases the plaintiff is granted immunity so why can't the same go for the accused in all cases involving potential sex offences?

I definately know where you're coming from and I suppose if I was wrongly accused of something like this, I would probably change my tune and think, my immunity should be of the highest priority.

I was in court recently though with a family member as the accuser in a sex case and the way the whole system is loaded in favour of the accused was sickening to be honest and I would be reluctant to make things even furthur in their favour.

I realise he was an innocent person up until the point he was found guilty but so was the young girl and there was nowhere for her to hide.

tidyman said:
SWP's back said:
tidyman said:

I definately know where you're coming from and I suppose if I was wrongly accused of something like this, I would probably change my tune and think, my immunity should be of the highest priority.

I was in court recently though with a family member as the accuser in a sex case and the way the whole system is loaded in favour of the accused was sickening to be honest and I would be reluctant to make things even furthur in their favour.

I realise he was an innocent person up until the point he was found guilty but so was the young girl and there was nowhere for her to hide.
No but her name wasnt dragged through the press. I had a mate nearly top himself at uni due to a false rape accusation so I'm a little biased I guess.

SWP's back said:
tidyman said:
SWP's back said:

No but her name wasnt dragged through the press. I had a mate nearly top himself at uni due to a false rape accusation so I'm a little biased I guess.

I guess we've seen things first hand from opposite sides and however reasonable a person you are, personal situations create much stronger feelings than general principles.

All I'd say is, if we put our personal feelings aside and look at things strictly from a numbers point of view, I would guess an awful lot more women have had their lives ruined because of their fear of going through the legal system to get justice, than men, who've had their lives ruined from false accusations.

Ideally, neither would ever happen of course.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.