David Miliband quitting politics. Is Labour dead?

gordondaviesmoustache said:
Ancient Citizen said:
TGR said:
Labour was dead the very same day that Blair got elected as the party leader.

The only reason Blair got in was he saw the light, binned the hard left mentality of the likes of Foot, formed 'New Labour' and won three elections. Do you honestly think labour would have done this otherwise?

It never ceases to amaze me how much in denial the left are on this, AC.

They only have to look to the outcome of the 1983 General Election, when there was an even smaller middle class than exists today, to see what the outcome would be if they went back to their roots.

I don't think that the left,on the whole,are 'in denial' regarding the reasons why Blair was so popular.
He simply borrowed the Tories more palatable policies,sugar coated them,and resold them as new product.
Some of us watched this 'rebranding' of the party in abject horror,as Blair's Labour was but a Rizla paper from the Conservatives in most respects.
Just out of interest,how do you explain the fact that a Labour party under a man to the left of Blair is massive odds on to win the next election if left wing politics is anathema to the mainstream electorate?<br /><br />-- Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:07 am --<br /><br />
Skashion said:
Now I think we both know the veracity of that number, don't we ? ;-)
Why am I supposed to accept lesser terms than you offered NF?

That's Liberals for you - reneging on promises and goalpost-moving is their default setting.

Ancient Citizen said:
TGR said:
Labour was dead the very same day that Blair got elected as the party leader.

The only reason Blair got in was he saw the light, binned the hard left mentality of the likes of Foot, formed 'New Labour' and won three elections. Do you honestly think labour would have done this otherwise?

They only have to look to the outcome of the 1983 General Election, when there was an even smaller middle class than exists today, to see what the outcome would be if they went back to their roots.

Amazing indeed. Most on the far left of the labour party detest the bloke who made them attractive to the electorate, although I agree with them, I always thought him a slimy twat.

Skashion said:
Because he asserted that a majority of one would be "convincing", which he most generously went beyond.

I am well aware of your extensive knowledge UK electoral history and the fact that you would never see that number as "convincing".

Why shouldn't I use my knowledge of your knowledge to extract the best terms I can? It would hardly be the first time in history that the same bet was struck on different terms.

I'll give you the bet at a majority of 75. I'm sure given your previous assertions about a Lib Dem collapse you'll bite my hand off.....

Ancient Citizen said:
Ancient Citizen said:

Amazing indeed. Most on the far left of the labour party detest the bloke who made them attractive to the electorate, although I agree with them, I always thought him a slimy twat.

I'm amazed you're amazed.
Anyone with half a brain can see why Labour leftwingers would oppose a rightwing party leader who betrayed their core values and abandoned key policies.
It really isn't rocket science.

Skashion said:
I'll give you No overall Majority and Conservative Majority,same bet ive had with gdm if you want?

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Just out of interest,how do you explain the fact that a Labour party under a man to the left of Blair is massive odds on to win the next election if left wing politics is anathema to the mainstream electorate?
Odds on to win a majority of one? Seems a little paradoxical.

That's Liberals for you - reneging on promises and goalpost-moving is their default setting.
images

Labour’s 2001 Manifesto commitment not to raise tuition fees.

Because he asserted that a majority of one would be "convincing", which he most generously went beyond.

I am well aware of your extensive knowledge UK electoral history and the fact that you would never see that number as "convincing".

Why shouldn't I use my knowledge of your knowledge to extract the best terms I can? It would hardly be the first time in history that the same bet was struck on different terms.

I'll give you the bet at a majority of 75. I'm sure given your previous assertions about a Lib Dem collapse you'll bite my hand off.....
Oh forget it. You're not being a good sport.

TheBlueDune said:
Other brother might step up - Steve Milliband, but I heard might be a bit of a joker

Not enough people have applauded this man. Brilliant.

Skashion said:

Oh forget it. You're not being a good sport.
50, but that's my final offer :-)

50, but that's my final offer :-)
No, forget it, you want me to go to the upper end of my certainty but not the bottom end of yours. You've previously declared you foresee no Labour majority at all, that British electorates rarely chuck out a government after one term, yet you want me to go all the way up to 75? You're trying to set the terms heavily in your favour and not in the middle where they should be if you wanted a fair and proper bet. I'm having none of it. I think you've just pulled a bit of ****'s trick to be honest.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.