David Silva - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have long said I thought he could play at the highest level until he was at least 35 because he doesn't rely on pace at all. It'd be nice if he were younger, but I don't think it's necessary.

Totally agree and why I love him so much. In a time where our young kids play football and coaches want kids to run fast, I tell my son to watch Merlin because he dismisses that argument all day long. Intelligence and movement is more efficient imo

Just feels to me like he's rediscovered his form from early last season when he was injury free. Got back to the level he has been playing at in the last 5 years.

It's not that Silva is "like a new signing" it's just that he was written off far too quickly by people with a short memory and an insatiable appetite for new toys.

Silva's "terminal decline" was greatly exaggerated.

I just hope people have a bit more faith in him this time if his levels drop a bit.

One notorious poster asked "How long should we be expected to put up with Silva's injury and drop in form?'

I think he's found his answer :-)

Edit: I can I just point out, Silva in his "disasterous" "finished" season last year managed 11 assists in 24 league games. DeBruyne in his all conquering world class season managed 9 in 25. Makes you think how much we expect from Silva, eh?

Last edited:
Just feels to me like he's rediscovered his form from early last season when he was injury free. Got back to the level he has been playing at in the last 5 years.

It's not that Silva is "like a new signing" it's just that he was written off far too quickly by people with a short memory and an insatiable appetite for new toys.

I just hope people have a bit more faith in him this time if his levels drop a bit.

One notorious poster asked "How long should we be expected to put up with Silva's injury and drop in form?'

Edit: I can I just point out, Silva in his "disasterous" "finished" season last year managed 11 assists in 24 league games. DeBruyne in his all conquering world class season managed 9 in 25. Makes you think how much we expect from Silva, eh?
You ignored the goals and game deciding moments. It is there that DeBryune was superior to Silva.

Impressed by Silva's form, but still an ageist. The numbers suggests age always wins. The good part is, even if Silva loses form we have the squad to make up the difference. Gundogan, DeBryune, Sane, Sterling, Jesus and Nolito.

So unlike in the past, this time I'm not too worried.

Aye but let's not pretend that Silva wasn't an injured passenger for a lot of last season. He was awful in some matches, be it system, tactics or injury and if he was dropped last season it would have been a fair decision given any of the reasons.

He wasn't alone, I know but some didn't write him off either but acknowledged that there was a problem or 2.

Aye but let's not pretend that Silva wasn't an injured passenger for a lot of last season. He was awful in some matches, be it system, tactics or injury and if he was dropped last season it would have been a fair decision given any of the reasons.

He wasn't alone, I know but some didn't write him off either but acknowledged that there was a problem or 2.

Silva was way below his own dizzying standards last season mate, no question about that.

The fact that he was out of form was never in question.

The question was, is it terminal and should we "ship him out" as one poster suggested, or was it merely a tenporary drop in form due to a niggling injury.

I think we can safely say that debate can be put to bed now and there's a few slightly embarassed / ashamed lads shuffling around these halls right now.

My posting of Silva's stats wasn't a suggestion that he had a good season last year, it was just to illustrate that even at his worst, he's still a major contributor to the team. I was surprised he had more assists in less games than De Bruyne to be honest, seen as De Bruyne was pretty much universally praised and Silva was roundly criticised by quite a few.

Silva was way below his own dizzying standards last season mate, no question about that.

The fact that he was out of form was never in question.

The question was, is it terminal and should we "ship him out" as one poster suggested, or was it merely a tenporary drop in form due to a niggling injury.

I think we can safely say that debate can be put to bed now and there's a few slightly embarassed / ashamed lads shuffling around these halls right now.

My posting of Silva's stats wasn't a suggestion that he had a good season last year, it was just to illustrate that even at his worst, he's still a major contributor to the team. I was surprised he had more assists in less games than De Bruyne to be honest, seen as De Bruyne was pretty much universally praised and Silva was roundly criticised by quite a few.

I for one was at no point in the "ship him out" camp but Silva's stats were significantly inferior to KDB. If you look at the simple big 3 stats of Goals/Assists/Key Passes in the CL as well as PL (so 6 comparisons in total) you have picked the 1 stat where Silva had better numbers out of 6 comparisons.

I for one was at no point in the "ship him out" camp but Silva's stats were significantly inferior to KDB. If you look at the simple big 3 stats of Goals/Assists/Key Passes in the CL as well as PL (so 6 comparisons in total) you have picked the 1 stat where Silva had better numbers out of 6 comparisons.

You're missing the point.

I'm not suggesting Silva was better than De Bruyne last season.

I'm saying Silva at his worst still contributed to the team.

No I'm not missing the point. I read the line below as a dig at KDB.

"I can I just point out, Silva in his "disasterous" "finished" season last year managed 11 assists in 24 league games. DeBruyne in his all conquering world class season managed 9 in 25"

Great player. Greater man. Legend.

Some time ago on the Joe Hart thread people were debating the value of sentimentality from supporters in football. Well, whenever you are feeling a bit cynical or pessimistic, look at this tweet. Some footballers do care.

Thank you, David. This may not be your intention, but by looking at that photo, by looking back, the dark clouds surrounding Valencia for most part of the year seem to have brighten, if only for a moment.

Cherish this man. Treasure his performance. And take time to appreciate the Sheikh too:)

As surprised as I was to see what that rag Scholes wrote, I'm more impressed by this - from Andres Iniesta:

“City have signed well and have a very competitive squad. I know Nolito well because he was a team-mate here at Barcelona and with Spain. He’s had a great start and hopefully can continue. I’ve admired David Silva for years: I think he’s exceptional. Players learn day to day, from experience, team-mates and managers. I learnt a lot with Pep; he helped me to improve and he’ll do the same at City.”
(Sid Lowe's article in The Guardian about Iniesta's new book).

I know Silva is an Iniesta fan boy (and friend). Still, it's got to feel so good to hear this from 1 of the best ever.
With Pep at the helm, I have faith we'll see Silva have a remarkable season.

Iniesta also said that Navas would have a bigger impact on the Premier league than Bale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.