David Silva - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have flogged him to death for years so using him more sparingly makes sense to me,it will prolong his career,he is far from being finished,very far

Nope, as I don't particularly like them in the same team.. Silva picks the same pockets of space as Kev (normally), however, I think KDB will be up there for all the accolades this year..

Thank god for that, would have been a step too far.

If we were playing every game 4231 I could totally understand the binary argument Silva or DeBruyne. Although I'd disageee, I could understand the angle of people prefering DeBruyne in that system because of his goal threat.

But we're not going to play every game 4231 with a fixed number 10. We're going to be playing all sorts of weird and wonderful shapes and systems without fixed positions.

Every line up will be different. The roles and movements will be catered to the opposition. I don't know whether there was a person alive who predicted Fernandinho holding with Silva and De Bruyne in front. Or that Clichy would drop in to centre midfield. Or Kolarov centre back.

It's even going to be difficult to actually agree on what the shape even is in certain games. I would write the formation down yesterday as 433 with Dinho holding. My mate who went to the game swore we played 3 at the back and Fernandinho was a centre back. The heat map pretty much backs him up.

The system and shape is going to be weird, wonderful, but most of all fluid. I don't think it's going to be as simple as a straight choice between Silva or DeBrune as a 10. Silva or Gundogan as an 8. There is going to be big roles for all of them to play, in a variety of systems and positions.

I thought that I was beginning to read Silva's game yesterday. The first time i've managed it since he arrived. Even last season I had trouble working out just exactly where he was going to pass and to whom, but yesterday i had the measure of him. He wasn't at his best, whether his best is behind him, but we didn't seem to have much creativity in the middle once he'd gone. Navas, when he came on, certainly upped the pace of the game, and at that time, when Sunderland were probably feeling their legs, it proved decisive.

Silva is going to be very important, only Gundogan and Yaya can replace what Silva offers in our side and that's elite ball retention.

Pretty much controlled our shape for an hour. We looked a little ragged when he went off.
Not having a go at Delph but he struggled to do the job.
Silva was key. As Shaelum said, he probably won't be splitting defences for fun anymore, he'll be dictating the tempo and shape.

I thought he was very good but tired.

Thought he was superb again tonight.

Perhaps not the clinical creator of chances of previous years, but in terms of getting on the ball and knitting the team together he did an outstanding job. More Xavi than Iniesta.

People always speculated for years whether Silva could play as a number 8 for Barcelona and I think the last two games have shown that he definitely could have.

After a quiet first half, De Bruyne looked devastating in the second half. The lively debate last season of Silva OR De Bruyne should now be put to bed. Pep has found a system that gets the best out of both of them in the same team.

They complimented each other so well in the second half - Silva knitting the team together and De Bruyne drifting in to dangerous spaces and looking to do damage. They could end up being a lethal partnership.

Looking like he's going to adapt his game now into midfield which is great.

He's too good enough a player to be left out of the team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.