David Silva Central Role

Smithy34 said:
Firstly Jovetic is not an out and out striker - he can actually play a similar role to Silval

there's a difference between a forward (jovetic) and and an attacking midfielder (silva).

bluethunder said:
Smithy34 said:
Firstly Jovetic is not an out and out striker - he can actually play a similar role to Silval

there's a difference between a forward (jovetic) and and an attacking midfielder (silva).

Well, Silva plays as a forward for Spain and Jovetic tends to drop very deep to be involved in build-up play.

The key thing about Jovetic is that he is extremely versatile and can operate in numerous positions and systems. He has certainly tried to improve his striker instincts in the last few years but he was never a natural striker. In fact the first few times I saw him play it was more as a creative midfielder than a forward (but that was when he was still a teenager).

I see Jovetic as somewhere between Silva and Tevez. More a creator than Tevez but less a goalscorer, whilst less a creator than Silva but more a goalscorer.

GTJGWilding said:
bluethunder said:
Smithy34 said:

Well, Silva plays as a forward for Spain and Jovetic tends to drop very deep to be involved in build-up play.

The key thing about Jovetic is that he is extremely versatile and can operate in numerous positions and systems. He has certainly tried to improve his striker instincts in the last few years but he was never a natural striker. In fact the first few times I saw him play it was more as a creative midfielder than a forward (but that was when he was still a teenager).

I see Jovetic as somewhere between Silva and Tevez. More a creator than Tevez but less a goalscorer, whilst less a creator than Silva but more a goalscorer.

for spain silva actually plays as a false winger. ive even seen him playing as a false 9 vs scotland. regardless where he starts on the pitch, he usually ends up cutting inside.

as for jovetic, he's no different to tevez, he's a center or left forward. okay he can play as the main striker or an attacking midfielder , but his best position and where he ought to play is behind the main striker.

Should have been stuck in the middle a long time ago and had the team built around him. Pellegrini loves his playmakers, think he may just do so.

bluethunder said:
GTJGWilding said:
bluethunder said:

for spain silva actually plays as a false winger. ive even seen him playing as a false 9 vs scotland. regardless where he starts on the pitch, he usually ends up cutting inside.

as for jovetic, he's no different to tevez, he's a center or left forward. okay he can play as the main striker or an attacking midfielder , but his best position and where he ought to play is behind the main striker.

I completely agree that Jovetic's best position will be behind the striker, but he will drop surprisingly deep for a 'forward' and he'll link the play from midfield to attack very nicely, as any great attacking midfielder would. I think he'll be better than Tevez was in the role behind the striker, but then I don't rate Tevez in that position quite as highly as a lot of people do. I preferred Tevez as the main striker as he was before we signed Aguero.

I felt we were slightly unbalanced last season when we played two of our strikers. I think that will be remedied with Jovetic in the same role Tevez played, the reason being that Jovetic will do more work deep with the midfielders in getting the ball into decent positions.

Back to Silva, I think we can reasonably hope that the new manager will bring about a new lease of life in some sections of the squad and this debate about getting Silva playing more centrally may be forgotten come September/October.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.