David Silva...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Silva - best since Bell?

aguero93:20 said:
johnnytapia said:
Bluebee2 said:
A myth I wouldn't have minded in the team, Gerrard is and has been a great player.

Sorry Bluebee we'll have to agree to differ. By my understanding of "great" Gerrard fails. By a country mile. And more. Big fish in a small pond, happy to take all the scouse adulation and knowing he'll be eulogised by their press. But, when looked at in greater scrutiny, he just isn't "great". Greatness wins leagues.
Great Teams win leagues.
Great players make great teams.

johnnytapia said:
johnnytapia said:
Sorry Bluebee we'll have to agree to differ. By my understanding of "great" Gerrard fails. By a country mile. And more. Big fish in a small pond, happy to take all the scouse adulation and knowing he'll be eulogised by their press. But, when looked at in greater scrutiny, he just isn't "great". Greatness wins leagues.
Great Teams win leagues.
Yeah, more than one, Liverpool haven't really had that too often imho, even in the year they finished second to the scum there was a lot of mediocre players sneaking into their first team.<br /><br />-- Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:12 pm --<br /><br />BTW I think I should mention here that I do think Gerrard has been a little over-rated, still an excellent player though, wouldn't have minded seeing him at City.

Bluebee2 said:
johnnytapia said:
r.soleofsalford said:
two completely different types of player colin bell was more in the gerrard style but imo better.

i`ve never seen a player able to receive a ball at any speed and have it immediately under control, brilliant at passing, dribbling and making space for himself and team mates

Using Gerrard as a reference point for Bell is tantamount to treason. Gerrard is a fucking myth, built up by the press to be some kind of midfield giant - he ain't and never has been. Bell was immense, a colossus, someone who bestrode the pitch and annihilated everyone and everything before him. Watch him celebrate a goal - he doesn't - no need for him to get all "showy", arms splayed, knees sliding, kissing the camera bollocks - he did the speaking with his feet.
A myth I wouldn't have minded in the team, Gerrard is and has been a great player.

Very good player, not a great player. Watch him play for England, he looks average, like Rooney.

Simply the best technical footballer we have ever seen in blue. He is unequalled, and I still can't believe he plays for us. What a brilliant, brilliant footballer.

johnnytapia said:
Great Teams win leagues.
Yeah, more than one, Liverpool haven't really had that too often imho, even in the year they finished second to the scum there was a lot of mediocre players sneaking into their first team.

-- Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:12 pm --

BTW I think I should mention here that I do think Gerrard has been a little over-rated, still an excellent player though, wouldn't have minded seeing him at City.

Gerrard has stayed at Liverpool for loyalty when he could and maybe should have gone elsewhere. Whilst that will be used to perhaps question his ability - as it is with Messi - you cannot say Gerrard is in anyway overrated. Gerrard has carried Liverpool, you can safely say that without him they wouldn't have done anywhere near what they have in recent times. He won them the FA Cup, he carried them through the Champions League. He is a captain on and off the pitch for them and a leader. I think that the lack of goals from Silva holds him back, he cannot win a game on his own, he can put it on a plate for others by he can't take a game by the scruff of the neck and run it in the way Bell did.

80s Shorts said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
I have seen numerous threads in the past talking about where the likes of Yaya and Aguero stand in terms of greatness, alongside Bell and such, all more than valid.

I would just like to state in my 30 years of watching City, I have never seen a player as good as David Silva.

I've have heard all the pros and cons, he doesn't score enough goals etc.

His performance against Barcelona the other night was the greatest, most technically perfect performance I have seen from anyone in a City shirt.

His passing, his control under pressure, his ability to take the likes of Xavi and Iniesta out of the play with a turn of his body - absolutely majestic.

At Bayern, earlier this season and twice against Madrid, he was also the stand-out player on the pitch.

Bell was before my time, but up there with the King?

Difficult to justify the word "perfect" really. He could / should have scored as on numerous occasions. If he could add that to his game he would be a top 20 player in the world. As it is nowhere near Im afraid as that vital ingredient is missing and you need it to qualify as a truly great player.

He is bloody good though.
Go on then name 20 players who are better than Dave then.

David Silva is the world's 3rd best player and the world's BEST playmaker IMO we have an embarrassment of riches playing in our colours at present,it's not arrogance when i say that we have 5 of the 10 best players in the world Naz,Vinny,Yaya,Kun and David, we are a world class central defensive partner for Vinny away from absolute greatness as a team.Colin was a truly staggering player I was lucky enough to see him play It's a close call who is the best i'd slightly favour Colin mainly because of his better finishing, their vision,passing,consistency and on the ball trickery were very similar but due to Colin having to perform on vastly inferior surfaces to David i'd drop on the side of Colin again.

mcfc2607 said:
80s Shorts said:
tolmie's hairdoo said:
I have seen numerous threads in the past talking about where the likes of Yaya and Aguero stand in terms of greatness, alongside Bell and such, all more than valid.

I would just like to state in my 30 years of watching City, I have never seen a player as good as David Silva.

I've have heard all the pros and cons, he doesn't score enough goals etc.

His performance against Barcelona the other night was the greatest, most technically perfect performance I have seen from anyone in a City shirt.

His passing, his control under pressure, his ability to take the likes of Xavi and Iniesta out of the play with a turn of his body - absolutely majestic.

At Bayern, earlier this season and twice against Madrid, he was also the stand-out player on the pitch.

Bell was before my time, but up there with the King?

Difficult to justify the word "perfect" really. He could / should have scored as on numerous occasions. If he could add that to his game he would be a top 20 player in the world. As it is nowhere near Im afraid as that vital ingredient is missing and you need it to qualify as a truly great player.

Erm ... Carrick,Ashley Young,Cleverley,Wellbeck,Jones,Smalling ... need I go on ?

oakiecokie said:
mcfc2607 said:
80s Shorts said:

Erm ... Carrick,Ashley Young,Cleverley,Wellbeck,Jones,Smalling ... need I go on ?
you forgot soldado chadli sandro.....

CAPTAINKIPPAX said:
David Silva is the world's 3rd best player and the world's BEST playmaker IMO we have an embarrassment of riches playing in our colours at present,it's not arrogance when i say that we have 5 of the 10 best players in the world Naz,Vinny,Yaya,Kun and David, we are a world class central defensive partner for Vinny away from absolute greatness as a team.Colin was a truly staggering player I was lucky enough to see him play It's a close call who is the best i'd slightly favour Colin mainly because of his better finishing, their vision,passing,consistency and on the ball trickery were very similar but due to Colin having to perform on vastly inferior surfaces to David i'd drop on the side of Colin again.

Im sorry thats pretty arrogant to say we have 5 of the 10 best in the world.

Messi, Tranny, Ribery, Ibra, Iniesta, Xavi, Lahm, Schwein, Thiago Silva, Ramos, Robben.. Off the top of my ahead.

I think what we achieve this year, and what our players achieve in the next few months (domestic triple) will catapult their credibility. But as of now.. no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.