David Silva

The one thing that sticks in my mind was the overhit pass to Aguero and I said that he had been overhitting them a few times this season. His touch has been just sublime, but we lost a lot of the creativity when he went off last night, and I think that is the big difference this season. We do need a mix of Silva and Fernandinho in the side. Any suggestions?

I think Silva's loss of form/nagging injury has been a major factor this season, mainly because too many people have been assuming that it will suddenly all come good.
A microcosm of our Premier League season.
In the short term, we need to keep possession for longer periods, and I suspect that will mean the return of Yaya next week

I think Silva's loss of form/nagging injury has been a major factor this season, mainly because too many people have been assuming that it will suddenly all come good.
A microcosm of our Premier League season.
In the short term, we need to keep possession for longer periods, and I suspect that will mean the return of Yaya next week
If only Yaya Toure could live with the pace of that game. We were giving the ball away cheaply at times last night but sadly Yaya can't do the defensive side and if we had any physical weak links last night they'd have been ruthlessly exploited.

If only Yaya Toure could live with the pace of that game. We were giving the ball away cheaply at times last night but sadly Yaya can't do the defensive side and if we had any physical weak links last night they'd have been ruthlessly exploited.

Couldn't agree more, but I was meaning Yaya in the middle of the front three, with Fernando, and Fernandinho behind him.
Not what I'd do, but I suspect Pellegrini might opt for it.

Couldn't agree more, but I was meaning Yaya in the middle of the front three, with Fernando, and Fernandinho behind him.
Not what I'd do, but I suspect Pellegrini might opt for it.

It seems to be a choice between Yaya (if fit) and Sterling. Sterling has been very good in CL away matches but he's obviously not fully fit and maybe MP has lost a bit of faith in him. But I'd rather have De Bruyne in the middle than out wide. I'm hoping to see Yaya in Madrid, but on the bench.

It will presumably come down to fitness. He's pretty much got 4 players to choose three from. Navas can only play right, Toure can only play in the centre.

I suppose he could try the Ferny on the wing approach again (Delph in behind maybe).

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...s/manchester-city-david-silva-injury-11247714

Seems like Pellegrini agrees, we lost control of the ball and lost control of the game after we lost Silva.

"Pellegrini added: “We lost the control of the ball. We hadn’t created that much, we were losing the ball, giving it away. The attitude was the same, but if you keep giving the ball away, Real Madrid will grow in confidence. It was more the injury to David.”"

At least Pellegrini got that one right.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...s/manchester-city-david-silva-injury-11247714

Seems like Pellegrini agrees, we lost control of the ball and lost control of the game after we lost Silva.

"Pellegrini added: “We lost the control of the ball. We hadn’t created that much, we were losing the ball, giving it away. The attitude was the same, but if you keep giving the ball away, Real Madrid will grow in confidence. It was more the injury to David.”"

At least Pellegrini got that one right.

But why did he not change it tactically during the 2nd half.

Kelchi doing the Navas role on the left. ie. stopping the fullbacks attacking us.

Our Game went to pot when he went off. He controls how we play. How fast we are, how slow we are. Everything.

More often than not in the last 18 months it's been "how slow we are" rather than how quickly we play. His poor form perfectly mirrors Pellegrini's travails in the last 18 months too. Both men need a new challenge.

More often than not in the last 18 months it's been "how slow we are" rather than how quickly we play. His poor form perfectly mirrors Pellegrini's travails in the last 18 months too. Both men need a new challenge.

Usually you can tell when age/injury is catching up with players when they are not as quick as they were over 10m. With Silva its more a case of how quickly he spins and turns. He's like a ballet dancer who can only pirouette at 80%, of the speed they did at their peak. Or a top skier who can't slalom as freely as they once did. It means that he doesn't throw defenders off balance as he used to and also misplaces passes. I don't know whether that's a permanent decline or temporary due to injury.

His ankle permitting, I think he could adapt his game and continue playing at the top level for a few years. But he will be a different type of player and the transition will take time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.