David Silva

Usually you can tell when age/injury is catching up with players when they are not as quick as they were over 10m. With Silva its more a case of how quickly he spins and turns. He's like a ballet dancer who can only pirouette at 80%, of the speed they did at their peak. Or a top skier who can't slalom as freely as they once did. It means that he doesn't throw defenders off balance as he used to and also misplaces passes. I don't know whether that's a permanent decline or temporary due to injury.

His ankle permitting, I think he could adapt his game and continue playing at the top level for a few years. But he will be a different type of player and the transition will take time.

Yeah, I also think weirdly enough his passing, especially those clever slide rule passes into the path of Kun which were second nature to him for so long, seem to take more time and seem less accurate. I think he could adapt his game and stay in the Premier League or even with us, but I'm not sure even he'd want to. At the age he's at with the state of his ankle/s maybe he would prefer to go play in a softer league.

I think Silva's loss of form/nagging injury has been a major factor this season, mainly because too many people have been assuming that it will suddenly all come good.
A microcosm of our Premier League season.
In the short term, we need to keep possession for longer periods, and I suspect that will mean the return of Yaya next week

Against better sides we have just not done this. Whenever we get possession we invariably yield it after but a couple of passes. We need another ten percent of possession in the areas where it matters.

The most important player for us in terms of continuous possession and pressure on opposition defences is Nasri. Without him, we're not able to make that.

2nd Half there RB had a free reign, KDB never picked him up and Kelchi was looking like a little boy lost.

I thought we were lucky to get a 0-0 with the 2nd half showing.

Pelegrini is just not active enough.

That could just be the 'new' City. We never had the luck that used to stick to MANUre's boots. But lucky or not, we got the 0-0. Best result if yer can't do a 4-0!

Yeah, I also think weirdly enough his passing, especially those clever slide rule passes into the path of Kun which were second nature to him for so long, seem to take more time and seem less accurate. I think he could adapt his game and stay in the Premier League or even with us, but I'm not sure even he'd want to. At the age he's at with the state of his ankle/s maybe he would prefer to go play in a softer league.

He always used to make those passes on the move, twisting and then opening up his body. He actually seems to find it more difficult to do that when simply moving in a straight line. Partly because its easier for defenders to read the pass. Again, that's something that he should be able adapt to.

But why did he not change it tactically during the 2nd half.

Kelchi doing the Navas role on the left. ie. stopping the fullbacks attacking us.

I don't think Kelechi is suited to playing wide at all mate. He's tried to do a job there a few times and it's not worked out, he needs to be in the middle.

I've got no idea why Pellegrini changed it tactically. Either Sterling is nowhere near fit, completely out of form, or Pellegrini just doesn't fancy him. Sterling for Silva would have been the obvious change.

The other issue is that DeBruyne was completely anonymous when he went to the left. As has happened in the past, when a team defends deep like Madrid did last night, it negates KDB's main strength - playing quickly on the break. When a team sits deep and need to be broken down, a little more patience and intelligence is required, and that's why Silva has been so instrumental for us in the past. There is no one better at probing and unlocking a stubborn, deep defence than Silva.

It's no coincidence that Silva's injury ravaged season has coincided with our worst performance in the league. He's absolutely key for us.

DeBruyne will be key in Madrid, they will come to attack us and our best chance will be to hit them quickly on the break. He's one of the best players in Europe at doing that.

But over the course of a full Premier League season, how many teams are going to come gung ho and throw everything at us, leaving space in behind? How likely is it that Guardiola is going to turn us in to a deep lying, counter attacking side? Probably not very likely.

Just watched the U Tube David Silva skills clip to remind myself what a very, very great player this is, in case I was in any danger of forgetting, and how privileged we've been to watch him over the years he's been with us.
No denying it, he's been through a fallow period this season, but I believe it is only that. A player with his footballing intelligence can go on to play at the highest level for another four years at least. I'm just salivating at the prospect of Pep and this man together. He'll be rested more, I would hope, and he'll be a better player for it.

He could be fit for the final if we get past Real. Dave deserves much kudos and respect for his efforts this season as he has obviously been struggling with knocks but has got on with it without any fuss. Love the guy.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.