David Silva's heir apparent...

Silva controls games. Raz will finish his career without once controlling the tempo of a game - it’s not what he does.

Only this

Sterling's skillset is very different, his pace, movement and timing of his runs to get on the end of chances are his best attributes by far

He can play centrally but unless he rapidly changes his ability to dictate the pace of a game and play that killer through ball it won’t happen.

Silva is a Xavi and Iniesta, and really is on that level.

Forgot the game but we switched the team up late on and had a 3142 formation with Sterling playing as one of the central midfielders. I thought he looked immense but that's the only time I recall it happening.

Here's one from completely left field.

We've all been sat here assuming(mainly based on his demeanour and name) that Bernardo Silva will move inside to eventually take over from Merlin.

I've just been thinking and what if it's actually Sterling?

You think Pep could take what English fans see purely as a winger with a bit of pace and turn him into a deep lying explosive central playmaker over the next few years?
I don't know where it's gone, but I posted the exact same thing in the unpopular opinions thread we had on here a while ago. Sterling is the only player (excluding Jesus) who has anywhere near the genius level ability to find space like David has. He wouldn't be used in the same creative sense, but he has all the raw assets to make it work in some way or another, especially if he works hard and has the ideal coaching. As in, he won't thread the eye of the needle with a pass, but he may just run through it!

Sterling is a lot smarter in his play than people give him credit for. I've pointed out in the Bernardo thread that his game vs Feyenoord in a 442 diamond was one of his best, but Sterling against Watford in a similar role a few days later was similarly sublime.

People can be too caught up on precisely like for like replacements for players, but that's not how it works. Sterling's nowhere near that level yet, but when his legs have started to slow down and he's a much more sophisticated player we may see something resembling it.

not his heir, but pep is definitely gonna use him there at times in the future imo, he's great at recycling the ball and we know he can burst from deep in central areas. i see him as an inside forwards/no 10 though.

I’m going to assume Merlin stays with us for another 3 years. We all hope it’s another 10, but let’s say 3. Could be more, could be less.

In that time, there is no doubt that Merlin and KDB occupy the creative midfield roles. I see that 3 years as Foden’s apprenticeship. I doubt Guardiola - of all coaches - would be keeping him in the squad, risking 100 Points to ensure he gets a winners medal on merit, unless he saw seeds of real ability AND intelligence. Pep bigged him up last year after playing the rags in a pre season friendly, which I doubt was by accident.

In three years time, the agre difference between KDB and Foden will be not dissimilar tothe age difference now between KDB and Merlin.

I think Bernardo Silva is a squad player. I don’t mean that in a dismissive way, he is a fine talent and he is more and more seamless when he slots into the team. I only mean that if our entire squad is fit and it’s the Champions League final, I don’t think Bernardo is a starter. That said, he may develop into the sorcerer’s apprentice, and The Stockport Messi May become the squad player. You never know.

But I think, long term, that may well be the plan.

Cant see it myself however I do feel that wears only seeing glimpses of Sterlings true potential. He could become the next Henry, he is just short of composure when he has time to think. This will improve over time.

Bernie is the one closest in skills to dave,about 7 yrs younger but he is learning fast,phil will come in and hopefully develop into a similar player,but there is only 1 dave and there will never be another

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.