David Villa to NYCFC

lonestay said:
I know hindsight is a wonderful thing and all that ,but i wonder if he ever regrets not coming to City a few years back when it was rumoured that we were close to getting him ? He has seen the facilities, and now heard the plans for the City Football Group, has seen the trophy wins probably spoken to Silva and Negredo and i wonder if he now thinks hmmm i wish i had been part of that earlier?
He's won a couple of league titles, a few cups, a champions league and a club world cup since he chose barca over us, so I doubt it stops him sleeping at night.

bit i find strange there is talking in the media about lampard coming on loan ( or to qpr on loan), but talk on here that villa cannot be loaned to us.
can anyone clear this up please.

derekthedog said:
bit i find strange there is talking in the media about lampard coming on loan ( or to qpr on loan), but talk on here that villa cannot be loaned to us.
can anyone clear this up please.

Think it's just down to non homegrown squad quotas.

alfabianchi said:
Is there any other conceivable reason why he would leave Athletico Madrid?
Feels he's achieved all he can in Europe
Wants to spearhead an exciting project
Wants to move to New York
Guaranteed game time

And it's Atletico.

The signing of David Villa will be miles better than Frank Lampard . I think David Villa still has more to offer in football than Frank Lampard .

BREAKING: Spanish football superstar David Villa is coming to Melbourne City (nee Heart) for a 10 game #aleague stint <a class="postlink" href="http://t.co/av4wad1kIt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://t.co/av4wad1kIt</a>

BandwagonJumper said:
BREAKING: Spanish football superstar David Villa is coming to Melbourne City (nee Heart) for a 10 game #aleague stint <a class="postlink" href="http://t.co/av4wad1kIt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://t.co/av4wad1kIt</a>

They must be ecstatic.

Was just about to post a question about Melbourne's crest because of the rebranding to Melbourne City, and have just seen LC tweet the new badge. Cant post it from my phone but it only just dawned on me when looking at it that they are MCFC now as well.

Cool story I know..

DAVID Villa is coming to the A-League.

Spain’s all-time leading goalscorer will play 10 games during a guest stint for the club that is now officially known as Melbourne City in an incredible coup for Australian football.

Melbourne City, formerly known as Melbourne Heart, announced its much-anticipated name change on Thursday morning.

And the Manchester City-owned club has made its first huge splash in the market by luring Villa to town on loan from sister club New York City FC.

OTHER BIG NAMES WHO CAME TO PLAYNEW OUTFIT: MELBOURNE CITY REBORN WITH NEW LOOKNew York, which will make its Major League Soccer debut next season, announced Villa, 32, as its inaugural signing this week.

But with the 2015 American season not commencing until March, Villa will come to Melbourne in order to maintain match fitness, as was speculated by the Herald Sun on Saturday.

David Villa pictured after signing for Atletico Madrid. Source: AFP

He is likely to be available from the October kick-off of the 2014-15 A-League season and will have played his quota of games by the time the competition goes into recess for January’s Asian Cup, to be hosted by Australia.

A-League clubs are permitted to sign one guest player per season for a maximum of 10 games.

The player, who must be of high promotional value to the league, will have his wages paid outside the $2.55 million salary cap.

Villa’s acquisition does not preclude City from signing an international marquee player.

Although his stay will be brief, the Spaniard’s signing will surely go down as the biggest in the 10-year history of the A-League, arguably eclipsing that of Italian megastar Alessandro Del Piero.

David Villa celebrates scoring during his Barcelona days. Source: AFP

The striker has scored 56 goals in 94 games for Spain, including five in his country’s 2010 World Cup-winning campaign, and may line up for the Spaniards against the Socceroos in Brazil on June 24.

Villa scored 15 goals in 47 games for La Liga winners Atletico Madrid in 2013-14, playing in the European Champions League final defeat to Real Madrid in his first season since moving from Barcelona.

While playing for the Catalan club, he scored in the 3-1 Champions League final win over Manchester United in 2011, won two La Liga titles and a Club World Cup.

Heart, in its former guise, was formed in 2009 and has taken part in four A-League campaigns, making the finals for the first and only time in 2011-12.

David Villa celebrates after scoring for Barcelona against Real Sociedad in 2010. Source: AFP

The City Group announced its takeover of the club on January 23 for a fee of about $11 million.

It has long been speculated the club would change its name in time for the new season.

The club’s new home kit will encompass red and black stripes and will look strikingly similar to the away kit worn by its parent club, the English Premier League champions.

Melbourne City will play its first game as a newly named club in the first-ever FFA Cup, a knockout competition based on England’s FA Cup, in early August.

Villa will not be available to play in that game as he will go on holidays after his international commitments with Spain conclude after the World Cup.

David Villa (right) kisses the World Cup trophy as he celebrates next to Sergio Ramos after Spain’s 2010 victory in South AFrica. Source: AFP

Position: Striker

Height: 175cm

Spain’s all-time leading goalscorer

94 games, 56 goals

2010 World Cup winner

Scored five goals in 2010 World Cup finals to be equal-top scorer.

Golden boot winner at 2008 European championships with four goals.

2013-14 La Liga title

2013-14 European Champions League runner-up

2010-11 European Champions League winner

2010-11 and 2012-13 La Liga titles

2011-12 Copa del Rey

2011 FIFA Club World Cup

2007-08 Copa del Rey

Years // club // games // goals

1999-2001 Sporting Gijon B 65 (25)

2001-03 Sporting Gijon 80 (38)

2003-05 Zaragoza 73 (32)

2005-10 Valencia 166 (108)

2010-13 Barcelona 77 (33)

2013-14 Atletico Madrid 36 (13)

2014 Melbourne Heart (loan) —

2015- New York City —

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.