David Villa..

Matt the Giant said:
Plain Speaking said:
Personally think he's over rated.
Apparently Pep wasnt his biggest fan either.
Reminds me of Torres, past his best.

Pep was in charge of a team where there could only be one star, and he acted and behaved accordingly.

To compare Villa to Torres is just so far off it''s almost unworthy of commenting on. Villa has a great work ethic, plays for the team and constantly plays in a position he does not prefer. He is a top-striker, a damn lethal one, who thanks to Messi has to play out wide on the left. Still he manages to bang in a few goals by the way.

Torres has lost all of his once so admirable finishing touch... if Villa came here he'd be our most accurate finisher immediately as both Kun and Carliots misses quite a few chances.

I think he is still a very hungry player and would link up very well with Silva et al.
I was comparing him to Torres in that IMO they are both "past their best". He is 31 in less than a month and has recently returned from a serious leg break. I believed he was overrated before he got injurred. I accept he is a very good player, but I have seen him fluff many chances in games, you would expect a top striker to score from. Personally I would prefer Falcao, Cavani or Lewandowski. I suspect he will miss as many chances as Aguero and Tevez.

Matt the Giant said:
The Fat el Hombre said:
Lovely lovely player, but wouldn't pay more than 10 mill

Becasue?

Wrong side of 30, massive wages and no resale value would be pretty good reasons not to go mad with the fee imo.

I'd like to see him here, but we're not exactly lacking in options up front.

Astuteboy said:
Matt the Giant said:
The Fat el Hombre said:
Lovely lovely player, but wouldn't pay more than 10 mill

Becasue?

Wrong side of 30, massive wages and no resale value would be pretty good reasons not to go mad with the fee imo.

I'd like to see him here, but we're not exactly lacking in options up front.
Well its 14 mill less than RVP and just as good

Plain Speaking said:
Matt the Giant said:
Plain Speaking said:
Personally think he's over rated.
Apparently Pep wasnt his biggest fan either.
Reminds me of Torres, past his best.

Pep was in charge of a team where there could only be one star, and he acted and behaved accordingly.

To compare Villa to Torres is just so far off it''s almost unworthy of commenting on. Villa has a great work ethic, plays for the team and constantly plays in a position he does not prefer. He is a top-striker, a damn lethal one, who thanks to Messi has to play out wide on the left. Still he manages to bang in a few goals by the way.

Torres has lost all of his once so admirable finishing touch... if Villa came here he'd be our most accurate finisher immediately as both Kun and Carliots misses quite a few chances.

I think he is still a very hungry player and would link up very well with Silva et al.
I was comparing him to Torres in that IMO they are both "past their best". He is 31 in less than a month and has recently returned from a serious leg break. I believed he was overrated before he got injurred. I accept he is a very good player, but I have seen him fluff many chances in games, you would expect a top striker to score from. Personally I would prefer Falcao, Cavani or Lewandowski. I suspect he will miss as many chances as Aguero and Tevez.

Of course it's just a matter of opinions, but I feel Villa has a lot more to give, while with Fernando I don't know. It'll be interesting to see if the arrival of Benitez will do anything to him, which I doubt to be honest.
Yes he is 31, but would still be able to perform at the highest level for at least two more years, two more PL and CL runs. As for resale value I'm not sure that matters at all. I'm sure he'll bring in a few quid on shirt sales and the money we make by going further in competitions thanks to him would probably justify his fee and wages. Speaking of wages, I don't think he would be on huge á la Tevez wages, but a more normal and sound one.
I think he has shown already that the injury did not bring any lack in quality. he plays very well for Barca when he's given the chance to do so.

Obviously he misses sitters now and then as well, but overall I'd say with certainty that he is a more clinical finisher than Kun and Tevez. Maybe not quite up there with Falcao, but pretty darn close when it comes to mere finishing touch.

So me having those opinions, no more than 10mil sounds too low to me. I'd still see it as good business if another five mil was added to that.

Saw Villa play for Real Zaragoza against Madrid the weekend after the bombing, what a player, really gave them a hard time on his up front worked like a dog.This is no prima donna player, he would match Tevez for graft and Kun for finishing, the downside is his age, but he would be a quality signing for 2 seasons and if ts £14 million then its certainly worth a go, unless we can get Falcao.

Let me just say that I don't like bumping this thread but ppl should know whats out there:

Manchester City are interested in Barcelona forward David Villa (31). The Spaniard could replace Sergio Aguero at the English club. [people]

via @barcastuff

Now from my experience the news articles he usually posts to that account are from my understanding usually accurate... looking to see if I can find the article itself

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.