De Bruyne?

Quick update whilst boss isn't lurking...did we hit a problem with this transfer? Tolmie's post seemed a bit worrying...?

Quick recap, we've bid. Wolfsburg are getting pissy in the press, Tolmie says they're a little concerned because it's been held up somewhere.

That made everyone flap, then some people got negative, now we're playing "who's a rag" and name calling.

Hopefully there's some more news soon or it's going to get unbearable in here.

welcome minerals ,its a bit hot in here ,once the window closes people will calm a little, what was your old poster name btw.

TBH I cant remember I had a few but always ended up arguing with people if I didn't agree with them so stayed away for a few years, thought I'd give it another go .... same shit different day... thanks for the welcome nice to see everyone isn't the same

th

Keep an eye out,wums and rags incoming

You're comparing apples and oranges. No, In fact you're comparing apples and the defunct Scottish letter yogh.

Gary Cook had an open chequebook, we were under no FFP restrictions and we needed to bring in top quality players, en masse, in order to lift the club from a position where we were a struggling Premier League side to one which could compete for titles. He could offer clubs whatever they wanted, and players/agents had the same lack of restrictions on their wages/bonuses/fees etc.

The current management team are working under a very different set of financial restrictions, and are coming at this transfer window from a far stronger bargaining position. We can't afford (more accurately we're not allowed to afford) to pay players £200k+ a week on a regular basis, and we can't throw whatever transfer fee is asked of us at clubs to get the deals done. We've got to negotiate more thoroughly, and that takes time. Equally City are a club which has won 2 of the last 4 Premier League titles, as well as a couple of cups, and are regulars in the Champion's League, so we don't need to throw money at signings in order to attract them, this means there's no compunction for us to do so. We can allow players own desires to play a part, letting them try and push deals through from their end, which too takes time.

We had a few needs for this summer, we needed to address our homegrown quota, we needed to add pace, width and a "different threat" upfront, we needed to bring in younger players as our squad is aging, and we needed to allow room for growth from our EDS graduates. Sterling and Delph meet those criteria. Roberts, Lopes, Denayer and Iheanacho meet those requirements. De Bruyne, should he sign (looking more likely than not) meets those requirements. Pogba, should he sign (looking unlikely but that was always going to be a long shot) would meet those requirements.

Yes, we'd all like something more. I'd like us to have addressed the fullback positions and tried to offload Sagna and Kolarov, however there's only so much money available to spend.

Viewing our transfer dealings as inept is seriously misinformed and demonstrates a lack of understanding regarding how City have changed over the last few seasons, and a failure to accurately assess what business we've done, and what our plans are.

Thanks for your response Matty.

I agree with you when you say we are now under financial restrictions but in my opinion that's not relevant in regards to the players we have (allegedly ) been targeting.

My main point is that last season one of our key flaws was our midfield. We have addressed that by signing Delph, whilst being a decent placer he's not going to improve our midfield to the extent of challenging for the champions league which is our ultimate target - ok some might say he brings us depth; this I could agree with if we had already signed a world class midfielder. This also applies to the LB position . In summary we haven't adressed
a key weakness.

Re Pogba - why wasn't the terms of image rights identified before putting the other ground work in?

I'm also not convinced we have enough up front either. We don't seem to have any alternatives either - and why have we left this bid so late. The money is obviously there.

Perhaps my faith in the current squad is pessimistic but sadly I envisage our midfield getting torn apart again like a knife through butter

what page is Tolmie's post on?....pretty please.

I can't remember but people need to stop looking so much into it.

He said there is nothing we can do if the lad chokes it. He's not wrong.

He also said that something had slowed it down over the weekend. Not that it's off or isn't happening.

I don't know where ric is getting his info but he seems closer than Tolmie does.

This is playing out like any big transfer would and I'd be amazed if he isn't holding up a city in the near future.

I mentioned Barca and Real to illustrate how upgrading City today is harder than 6 years ago because of the calibre of players we want has risen to the same level as those clubs.

The Minerals is confusing my use of the word 'competing'.

I am talking about us fighting for the same few players at the very top level. Of course Barca and Real have more pull than us for many players, but its not all of them. Some want PL ahead of La Liga and prefer City as a project. It is folly to believe they don't have to upper hand, but it is madness to think we should just give up if those two chase the same players as us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.