De Bruyne?

I mentioned Barca and Real to illustrate how upgrading City today is harder than 6 years ago because of the calibre of players we want has risen to the same level as those clubs.

The Minerals us confusing my use of the word 'competing'.

I am talking about us fighting for the same few players at the very top level. Of course Barca and Real have more pull than us for many players, but its not all of them. Some want PL ahead of La Liga and prefer City as a project. It is folly to believe they don't have to upper hand, but it is madness to think we should just give up if those two chase the same players as us.

Ok my apologies

We broke our transfer record about 3 weeks ago for the best young homegrown player in the world.

Because we can't hand out £250,000 a week contracts like they're toffee any more and pay agents upwards of £10m a deal.

We might end this summer signing 2 of our top 3 targets, a homegrown replacement for Lampard and England international for a ridiculously low price, integrating 3 youth players into the first team squad and according to the geniuses on here that is inept.

Quality replies

Silva and Toure are bigger names since joining City. At that time, we weren't a great team and upgrading was easier in terms of better players on the market. With money and the vision, we persuaded some to join... But remember we also bought some expensive duds too.

Now we are a much better team, and upgrading is harder because there are less players available to improve us, and we are no longer competing with Spurs or Liverpool for players, we are competing with Real and Barca et al.

It's a much harder proposition.
Can't agree with that.

Silva/Toure were as big a player, if not bigger, than anyone we've signed since. It shows by the fact they remain key players in the team that is where it is now, as opposed to ,say, Adebayor, Robinho et al.

It's disingenuous to suggest that a Barca player and CL winner was at Liverpool/Spurs level, the same with a Tevez from Utd, Silva too was subject of speculation from Madrid.

Coming to City should now be a much easier proposition. Established PL winners, in the CL for 4/5 seasons, state of the art training facilities: we're now a club able to compete, but still with chapters to complete (i.e CL win, sustained domestic titles).

I don't buy that suddenly, City are dealing with transfer dealings far more complex than any other 'elite' team. The only discourse that holds any water, is that in Europe, contracts (ie image rights, ownership etc) are subject to less stringent governance than in England - meaning for example signing a Pogba as a PL team is much more difficult than Barca (under normal circumstances) doing the same.

However to counter that, there should be no such issue with De Bruyne, and certainly no such issue with Sterling... both who either could, or did, takes longer than seemingly necessary to compelte, without any visible benefit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.