De Bruyne?

Definitely. You don't build a CL winning team in one window. We're buying younger players, adding in the 3 academy kids and will grow into a fantastic team. I don't think it's going to be expected of Pellegrini to deliver immediately, as long as the baseline of success stays the same he has 2 years to build us from a PL challenging side to a CL challenging side.

De Bruyne will be a key player in that because he's both good enough now, and young enough to improve.

This maybe so, however it will be expected to show progression eg a semi final

Definitely. You don't build a CL winning team in one window. We're buying younger players, adding in the 3 academy kids and will grow into a fantastic team. I don't think it's going to be expected of Pellegrini to deliver immediately, as long as the baseline of success stays the same he has 2 years to build us from a PL challenging side to a CL challenging side.

De Bruyne will be a key player in that because he's both good enough now, and young enough to improve.
Is he coming then mate?

Can't agree with that.

Silva/Toure were as big a player, if not bigger, than anyone we've signed since. It shows by the fact they remain key players in the team that is where it is now, as opposed to ,say, Adebayor, Robinho et al.

It's disingenuous to suggest that a Barca player and CL winner was at Liverpool/Spurs level, the same with a Tevez from Utd, Silva too was subject of speculation from Madrid.

Coming to City should now be a much easier proposition. Established PL winners, in the CL for 4/5 seasons, state of the art training facilities: we're now a club able to compete, but still with chapters to complete (i.e CL win, sustained domestic titles).

I don't buy that suddenly, City are dealing with transfer dealings far more complex than any other 'elite' team. The only discourse that holds any water, is that in Europe, contracts (ie image rights, ownership etc) are subject to less stringent governance than in England - meaning for example signing a Pogba as a PL team is much more difficult than Barca (under normal circumstances) doing the same.

However to counter that, there should be no such issue with De Bruyne, and certainly no such issue with Sterling... both who either could, or did, takes longer than seemingly necessary to compelte, without any visible benefit.

Just because they are key players in the team doesn't provide evidence of how big a signing they were originally. Robinho was our biggest (in terms of PR) signing at that time, and he didn't work out.
The fact remains, Yaya and Silva are both bigger names in the footballing world since joining City. Yaya was a bit of a coup (although many questioned if he was an overpriced Barca castoff at the time) - he WAS a fairly big deal coming from Barca, but he was still an outgoing Barca player!, and Silva was a nice little Spanish player on the fringes of the Spanish team, but possibly too small to make it in the PL (as was the view then). WIthout a shadow of a doubt, both have increased their profile since joining.
Tevez was also a huge signing for us and real PR coup at the time, certainly as big as Yaya, and definitely a bigger signing that Silva (I'm not talking about importance, just the marquee stature of the signing).

The pool of players that would improve City of 6 years ago was much larger than the pool of players who can improve us now. The closer you get to the top of the tree, the harder it gets to find even better players, and that is what makes it harder for us.

I also did not say it's any harder for us that other elite teams, I said it's hard for us NOW than it was then. Back then we weren't an elite team. That's why I said we are now competing with a different set of clubs for the calibre of player we would like. Once we start doing very well in Europe, things might get easier, but until then, if we want the world's best players to join us, they need some serious coaxing. We are still a 'project' on the European stage, whereas domestically, we have gone past that stage.

If, as you suggest, things are not harder, but ought to be easier for us, then we do indeed appear to be struggling to improve in a number of positions on the pitch.
This whole subject came about over criticism about how we 'seem' to be failing to land targets when in the past we managed to land them. I don't believe we are failing (we've landed 1 of our 3 obvious big targets with a second one seemingly imminent, and brought in a couple of others too), and I'm arguing are previous targets were from a wider pool of players we might have bought. The pool has severely diminished due to us being a far better team now then we were then.

Last edited:
What's happened in the past 4 hours I've been at work ? Doesn't sound good

I´m not 100% sure, but actually a "twitter journalist" just cutted off some parts of quotes from KDB agent and made it look like: "Kevin will stay at wolfsburg, he is happy here and focused on his work for the club" what he did not say in that sense.

All I know is that the director of football is responsible for giving the manager the tools to acheive his targets.

Isco, Hazard, Pogba perhaps De Bruyne? Players we have missed out on

If I was Sheikh Mansour I'd be wanting answers

No guarantee that we would've had any more success had we signed those players.

But even so, I'm sure the directors of football could point to the 2 Premier League titles, 2 runners up finishes, 2 domestic cups and another cup final over the last 5 seasons as well as the fact that we are year on year increasing revenues, club value and global recognition.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.