De Bruyne?

• Sterling wanted out, and refused to sign a new contract
  • Sterling apparently only had eyes for us, and we'd agreed personal terms with him
  • Sterling's relationship with Liverpool was more or less irredeemable, the fans were harassing him at the final fixture at Stoke, ex players had been publicly slaughtering him for months by June, and there appeared no way back
  • We were the only club at the table, the only club willing to pay anything approaching £40m
We were in about as strong a position as we could've been as a buyer, and yet we still paid their asking price after months of negotiations.
You are pretty much just wrong in your assesment of the situation though. Liverpool held all the cards, they had Sterling under contract, they had no financial pressure to sell and they had the knowledge that we needed to buy him this summer. We had nothing, only a player who wanted to come to us and who was willing to run down his contract (which is no use to us, as we needed him this summer). If the person who is selling an item knows that the person buying feels they have to buy it, the seller is the one who holds the cards.

Have both parties, City and Wolfsburg, been expecting him to hand in the transfer request?

Doesn't make sense how this has stalled recently otherwise. The deal looked as good as done a matter of days ago. This couldn't have come out of left field.
City and KDB would be true to their word by all accounts of "we won't stand in his way if he wants to leave".

They've now changed that to "if he hands in a transfer request".

I personally think he needs to grow a set, but then again, if it was me, I wouldn't want to lose out on several million pounds either.

We offered them £40M.They said no. What would you have done next?

I was told that the final fee was actually £44m including add-ons, not the £49m reported. No idea if it's true or not, are these figures made public when the accounts are released?

I was told that the final fee was actually £44m including add-ons, not the £49m reported. No idea if it's true or not, are these figures made public when the accounts are released?

We have to win to Champions leagues twice and 2 premier leagues titles for that fee to be 49m

All null and void when he had 2 years left on his contract.
Exactly. All they would have had to say to City would have been that we either cough up the a asking price or they would be prepared to let his contract run down and play Sterling in the reserves and that would have left City with no alternative but to pay the asking price or do without Sterling. would have done the same.

• Sterling wanted out, and refused to sign a new contract
  • Sterling apparently only had eyes for us, and we'd agreed personal terms with him
  • Sterling's relationship with Liverpool was more or less irredeemable, the fans were harassing him at the final fixture at Stoke, ex players had been publicly slaughtering him for months by June, and there appeared no way back
  • We were the only club at the table, the only club willing to pay anything approaching £40m
We were in about as strong a position as we could've been as a buyer, and yet we still paid their asking price after months of negotiations.
We. Didn't. Pay. The. Asking. Price.

We only got down to the £50m AFTER all of the above.

We were originally quoted not for sale at any price. It was only after all of the hullabaloo that we got it to being told £50m.

We then paid 44.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.