De Bruyne?

I have racked my Brain about this, and for the life of me, I really don't see where Debruyne will play on this squad.

Yes, he is a fantastic player, but who do you bench for him? Especially if we get Pogba. It is clear we are going to a 433. Sterling Silva flanking Aguero, Yaya-Pogba ahead of Dihno. Nasri backing up Yaya, Pogba and Silva, as he can operate in all three positions. Navas backing up Sterling. Delph backing up Dihno or joining Dihno in a more defensive front.

The problem I see is Debruyne will have to be a backup if he comes. And that's the exact situation he does not want. It is either him or Pogba, not both.

And personally I think Pogba will be more satisfying to most as a signing, especially because he is more likely to succeed Yaya eventually. However for this season, Debruyne may be the better fit.

As I see it we need 1 of them and a shakeup at LB. Way more than we need both.

Find a better LB and add Pogba. And we are set.

The answer to this is simple. Yaya no longer starts every game. He's 32, he's getting on, we all saw how tired he was last year.

I believe Pogba is seen as the successor to Yaya, but the circumstances have dictated we move early and have both for 1 season. We can't wait a year for Pogba, because that will bring other teams back into the mix, but this transfer is still so up in the air we can't sell Yaya either. It's going to be weird for a year, but coping with it isn't difficult.

Out of Yaya, Pogba, Sterling, Silva, De Bruyne - only 4 start each game.

There are enough games in the season for us to rotate those guys in a 4-2-3-1 so that everyone plays the majority of games and stays happy.

I also think that doing this will keep Yaya fresh and at his best when he does play, which means we get the best out of him for 40 games a season rather than seeing him struggle for fitness in 60 games a season.

I have racked my Brain about this, and for the life of me, I really don't see where Debruyne will play on this squad.

Yes, he is a fantastic player, but who do you bench for him? Especially if we get Pogba. It is clear we are going to a 433. Sterling Silva flanking Aguero, Yaya-Pogba ahead of Dihno. Nasri backing up Yaya, Pogba and Silva, as he can operate in all three positions. Navas backing up Sterling. Delph backing up Dihno or joining Dihno in a more defensive front.

The problem I see is Debruyne will have to be a backup if he comes. And that's the exact situation he does not want. It is either him or Pogba, not both.

And personally I think Pogba will be more satisfying to most as a signing, especially because he is more likely to succeed Yaya eventually. However for this season, Debruyne may be the better fit.

As I see it we need 1 of them and a shakeup at LB. Way more than we need both.

Find a better LB and add Pogba. And we are set.

DeBruyne fits this new plan perfectly, & we don't have to play all of the new signings in every game. It may also be the case that we can get away with Yaya & Pogba vs some of the lesser, more defensive teams, if the rest of the mids put in a shift. Also, we currently have only two strikers, (if JovDeko go) & a kid. So we may play without a traditional cf in some games. Also, DeBruyne is a serious crosser & taker of set pieces, which may have been the difference between us winning & losing the title last season, plus, Bony is never getting a mention, but he is seriously fucking good imo, & DeBruyne is more likely to feed him, than any other of our players. It is a potentially deadly 'plan B'.

Pogba's assets are obvious, & he has a fairly old bloke plus a few 'box to box' or def mids to contend with, so his usefulness is obvious.

Have you seen much of him? No way in a million years does he get benched. Utterly brilliant player.

You're right in that it causes some interesting selection issues, should both players come in. But i'd wager the fall guy there is potentially Yaya. He plays in the AM role if Pogba arrives. But then so does Silva...

One thing is for sure - MP won't be complaining.

I concur. For me, THIS is the team we'll eventually put out by the end of the season. Looks pretty solid AND pretty offensive at the same time.
13z37cw.jpg

I have to admit i dont know where he would play if he was to come. I cant see him playing in the deeper role, he was massively successful in Germany when he was playing high up the pitch with no defensive responsibility. He isnt going to replace Merlin and we wont bench Sterling unless he has a shocking opening to the season. So what role in our starting line up will he play??

DeBruyne fits this new plan perfectly, & we don't have to play all of the new signings in every game. It may also be the case that we can get away with Yaya & Pogba vs some of the lesser, more defensive teams, if the rest of the mids put in a shift. Also, we currently have only two strikers, (if JovDeko go) & a kid. So we may play without a traditional cf in some games. Also, DeBruyne is a serious crosser & taker of set pieces, which may have been the difference between us winning & losing the title last season, plus, Bony is never getting a mention, but he is seriously fucking good imo, & DeBruyne is more likely to feed him, than any other of our players. It is a potentially deadly 'plan B'.

Pogba's assets are obvious, & he has a fairly old bloke plus a few 'box to box' or def mids to contend with, so his usefulness is obvious.

I noticed that Pellegrini referred to Sterling as a striker after the game yesterday. I think he'll be used at there at times.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.