Dear Atheists..

Exactly so, if those asking these 'straight' questions have already made their minds up there's no possible answer they like but at least nobody can accuse you lot of trying to sound learned or intelligent. In fact it seems you've been taking lessons from Donald on incoherence too ;-)

Anyway here's a question for you: "Why is there something rather than nothing"? Get your gums around that.
As I said it's pointless arguing. If I told you I get visited every night by a goblin, would you believe me without evidence?

There is undeniably something and I prefer it to be meaningful rather than just a brute fact. The preference of most people I suggest
Preference is not evidence. I don't believe things because I like the idea, I believe things because on the balance of probabilities I think it is the most likely answer.

Where you say there is "undeniably something", what do you mean by this? If you mean a god, I would most definitely deny it on the balance of probabilities.

Why would you prefer to believe in a vengeful, spiteful, all-knowing and all-powerful deity rather than just believing that matter and energy just exist? I'm not sure I like the idea of a deity that is so far above me in power, yet is so petty that it will subject me to eternal torture for not thinking it exists.

Also, my guess is that Yahweh is probably the same deity that those local to the area you were born in predominantly believe in, but why is your deity the one true deity? What is it about Yahweh that makes you believe in that specific deity rather than one of the multitude of others?

Preference is not evidence. I don't believe things because I like the idea, I believe things because on the balance of probabilities I think it is the most likely answer.

Where you say there is "undeniably something", what do you mean by this? If you mean a god, I would most definitely deny it on the balance of probabilities.

Why would you prefer to believe in a vengeful, spiteful, all-knowing and all-powerful deity rather than just believing that matter and energy just exist? I'm not sure I like the idea of a deity that is so far above me in power, yet is so petty that it will subject me to eternal torture for not thinking it exists.

Also, my guess is that Yahweh is probably the same deity that those local to the area you were born in predominantly believe in, but why is your deity the one true deity? What is it about Yahweh that makes you believe in that specific deity rather than one of the multitude of others?
'petty', 'vengeful', 'spiteful', 'eternal torture'.... if you actually believe that stuff I can see why you'd steer clear.

'petty', 'vengeful', 'spiteful', 'eternal torture'.... if you actually believe that stuff I can see why you'd steer clear.
Read the book...

Either way, whether I want to believe it or not is irrelevant. If I felt the balance of probabilities leaned that way then I would believe in it. I find Donald Trump distasteful too and would rather he didn't exist, but despite this I feel that on the balance of probabilities he most likely exists having seen videos of the man.

yet here you are
I've been reading this thread with interest and you remind me of a flat earther called Hodge who kept arguing the toss till his claim of earth flatness became repetitive futile and boring. Although I don't believe the earth is flat I cut him some slack and left it to several others to ridicule him and some of it was plain nasty towards him. He eventually got hounded off Bluemoon but I admired him for sticking to his beliefs without wavering, even though some of his claims were ridiculous.

You believe in god and that's perogative and because you cannot prove God exists you're always gonna get questioned especially when making bold claims without any proof. I am ambivalent on whether God exists. I think I do but - "Oooh, and it makes me wonder" - as Robert Plant once sang: )

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.