Dear Atheists..

Anyway, we got there in the end, and to be fair the god botherers aren't doing too much harm these days, they're kind of irrelevant.
I think most of the middle east, large swathes of Africa, considerable parts of Asia, chunks of North America, and Infact almost anywhere in the world where people of a religion disagree with people of another religion/sect/non-religious, there is varying degrees of harm - all the way from disparagement to murder/genocide.

I think we are a very long way from being able to declare that religion is harmless.

...I think we are a very long way from being able to declare that religion is harmless.
With an openly atheist PM installed here I think we'll soon get to taste more of the bitter fruits of a godless society. He's a big fan of assisted dying so that's good news for those who don't want to be a burden on their loved ones. I do admire his honesty in admitting it but no big deal these days apparently. Significant change from the two previous Labour prime ministers though and at least the Chancellor, Foreign & Health Secretaries will be on hand to provide the theist perspective should he feel the the need of it.

With an openly atheist PM installed here I think we'll soon get to taste more of the bitter fruits of a godless society. He's a big fan of assisted dying so that's good news for those who don't want to be a burden on their loved ones. I do admire his honesty in admitting it but no big deal these days apparently. Significant change from the two previous Labour prime ministers though and at least the Chancellor, Foreign & Health Secretaries will be on hand to provide the theist perspective should he feel the the need of it.
If you believe that one of the 'bitter fruits of a godless society' is assisted dying then your premise falls at the first hurdle. Lord George Carey, former Archbishop of Canterbury, has advocated for the legalisation of assisted dying, arguing that it aligns with Christian values of compassion. Also, recent surveys indicate that support for assisted dying among Church of England priests has grown significantly, with over a third now in favour. Opinion polls show that 78% of monthly churchgoers and a significant portion of the general public support legalising assisted dying.

A godless society? Wooohooooo! It kind of is already here in the UK.

If you believe that one of the 'bitter fruits of a godless society' is assisted dying then your premise falls at the first hurdle. Lord George Carey, former Archbishop of Canterbury, has advocated for the legalisation of assisted dying, arguing that it aligns with Christian values of compassion. Also, recent surveys indicate that support for assisted dying among Church of England priests has grown significantly, with over a third now in favour. Opinion polls show that 78% of monthly churchgoers and a significant portion of the general public support legalising assisted dying.
Just my take friend. This is from the Guardian:"The British Social Attitudes survey, which has recorded stable support for “voluntary euthanasia” since the 1980s, has noted that those with no religion are most likely to support it. The 2021 census showed that 37% of people in England and Wales describe themselves as having “no religion”, a rise of more than 22 percentage points over 20 years. However, opponents of assisted dying told the recent parliamentary inquiry of a man who wanted to kill himself within two weeks, but was alive 11 years later. They described another who had discussed assisted dying but when asked what he would like to do, had said he would first go on a cruise, and went on three such trips before he died. They warn that legalising the practice would increase the risk of coercion and elder abuse."
A godless society? Wooohooooo! It kind of is already here in the UK.
there is an art to being both pithy and interesting.

Just my take friend. This is from the Guardian:"The British Social Attitudes survey, which has recorded stable support for “voluntary euthanasia” since the 1980s, has noted that those with no religion are most likely to support it. The 2021 census showed that 37% of people in England and Wales describe themselves as having “no religion”, a rise of more than 22 percentage points over 20 years. However, opponents of assisted dying told the recent parliamentary inquiry of a man who wanted to kill himself within two weeks, but was alive 11 years later. They described another who had discussed assisted dying but when asked what he would like to do, had said he would first go on a cruise, and went on three such trips before he died. They warn that legalising the practice would increase the risk of coercion and elder abuse."

I love being pithy with pithy people.

1. Regarding "no religion' being more likely to support assisted dying. That's just basic logic. Atheist's believe that when you die, you die. There's no inner turmoil about whether a mythical soul will end up in a place called Heaven or Hell when you die. It's not hard to work that out surely? If you live by the command of a mythical being, then you will be subject to the issues raised in following that mythicism related to whatever they say happens about death.

2. Regarding the "risk of coercion and elder abuse' - oh yes, it needs plenty of oversight, a very strong and complete set of guidelines and rules. But for someone who suffers immeasurable pain and suffering for decades, with no prospect of a cure or relief, are you really lacking compassion for that person, when they knowingly choose to end their suffering in their own dignified way? Or is it just thoughts and prayers for their time of suffering, and it will be fine when they naturally die, as it will be great in the afterlife?

Last edited:
Is he the first athiest PM ,don't really know for sure but doubt it. Does it matter ,not a bit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.