Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely agree that we will decline at some stage just like every other successful team in the past. But my hope is that we are trying our best to stave that off as long as possible and don't fall into the trap that others have in thinking that we just deserve to win by nature of who we are.

To give City credit, your ownership and strategy these past few years have been impressive so I don’t doubt you’d feel confident about the future.

I wasn’t stating hopes as facts…that’s your strawman. Merely pointing out that as attractive as City are, Arsenal are not without their selling points too. My feeling that City may have reached their zenith is an opinion which is not wildly improbable.

No - you weren’t pointing out how attractive City are at all. Stop trying to lie your way out of it.

What you were doing was stating one of the greatest Club sides in English football history, who have just won the Treble and the Champions League - both feats your Club has never managed in its 100+ year history - is ageing, has clearly reached its peak, and has a Manager who’s gearing up to leave.

Whereas Arsenal are apparently the only team who’ve twigged it might be a smart idea to invest in youth, and have a Manager you know will be in place for the next decade - even though his contract ends at exactly the same time as ours.

And the reality is the facts simply don’t support any of the fantastical nonsense you came out with, however much you might wish they did!

To give City credit, your ownership and strategy these past few years have been impressive so I don’t doubt you’d feel confident about the future.
Wow, you’re not doing your club‘s reputation much good sounding off like this. In the past it was Spurs fans, looks like the new arrogant tossers are their noisy neighbours….

My feeling that City may have reached their zenith is an opinion which is not wildly improbable.

Many United and Liverpool fans, and even some City fans, had the feeling that when Aguero, D. Silva, Kompany, Fernandinho...leave, City wouldn't be the same force any more. We had City fans predicting that we may struggle to make the top 4 in 20/21. After we drew with United and WBA in December 2020, many were pessimistic and thought Pep was finished. Guess what, City won the next 21 games and went from strength to strength, winning 3 league titles in a row and the Treble. The opposite happened: City got stronger after losing some legendary players, not weaker.

Now the narrative is: Gundogan left, Bernardo might leave, KDB is ageing, their dominance might be over. But Pep is quietly building the next team, with plenty of great players who are (not yet) in their prime: Ederson, Stones, Dias, Ake, Akanji, Gvardiol (?), Rodri, Grealish, Foden, Alvarez, Haaland... The likes of Haaland, Foden and Alvarez are likely to get better! The transition from a midfield with Gundo and Bernie to a midfield without them (and it's not even clear that Bernie will leave) is likely to be smooth, given who is the manager. The defence and the attack don't need big changes, the players are in or before their prime.

Last edited:
I am but humans seldom break these cycles for some weird reason because if they have any sense they can see the writing on the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.