Declan Rice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else a little unsure as to how he fits in as a Gundogan replacement? Missing out on Bellingham was a big blow obviously, was ready made. Just trying to work out how Rice slots in, he's more of a Rodri type with the ability to play a little box to box.

Would he want to leave London though?
Manchester isn't great in parts.
And those will be the parts he’ll frequent too… heard he’s been on Rightmove, looking at Beswick and Cheetham Hill and been put right off the move! …Parts of London are far worse than anything Manchester has to offer.

If it happens, at least in my head I can have the comfort of knowing I was also underwhelmed and felt we overpaid for Walker so fingers crossed that works out the same

We're losing both Laporte and Walker this summer, and so far we only got Gvardiol realistically on the way in

So that's Dias, Ake, Akanji and Gvardiol fighting for 3 positions (assuming we keep this formation as we have no full backs now).....one injury and Stones may be needed at CB (also Rice has played there before)

Realistically, the back-up for Stones/Rodri is only Lewis and Phillips

Pep loves to rotate, the only reason he didn't as we closed out this year was because he didn’t have faith in anyone covering Rodri/Stones

We have world class players like Foden, Mahrez, Alvarez and Laporte on the bench most games....Rice would be a world class addition to this squad, even better that he's about 5 years younger than Stones

I fully expect us to compete on all fronts but this is gonna be a transition season for us with big characters leaving. Rice is a character, a captain and someone who could play for us the next 10 years. Pep had a pop earlier in the season about players losing the fire, no surprise that'll only be worse this year after a TREBLE....hence why so many are looking to leave after that

Fully on board with this deal, we have the money to take a risk here

I think that’s over simplistic, tbh. There must be many factors that players consider when moving clubs, especially if it’s your first move away from your boyhood club. Don’t think it’s as simple as just picking the best team.

I agree. But when he’s been on record as saying a footballer’s career is short and he wants to be winning trophies rather than looking back without any, where is he best going - us or Arsenal?

Arsenal are progressing, sure, but do you want to take that risk? Spurs were progressing under Poch then look what happened.

It might sound simplistic but that’s essentially what it boils down to. Personal success.

Anyone else a little unsure as to how he fits in as a Gundogan replacement? Missing out on Bellingham was a big blow obviously, was ready made. Just trying to work out how Rice slots in, he's more of a Rodri type with the ability to play a little box to box.
I don’t think new signings have to be like for like. Rodri wasn’t the same player as Fernandinho, for instance. Guardiola is continually changing the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.