Defensive Midfield Targets/Options

watched Roma vs Bologna yesterday El Shaarawy was decent Kluivert was good Pellegrini was very good in midfield but the one that stood out was the Bologna player Pulgar a defensive midfield player that all the Italian big clubs are looking at taking. fairly quick by the look of it but good at being in the right area at the right time and a very good passing range

How about Douglas Luiz who is already a City player on loan at Girona. Apparently, he had a blinder playing DM against Real Madrid. Only 20 years old and would already be at City, but couldn't get a work permit, although Pep tried everything to get him one. If he can get a work permit at the end of the season, he could be the answer and would save us tens of millions.

How about Douglas Luiz who is already a City player on loan at Girona. Apparently, he had a blinder playing DM against Real Madrid. Only 20 years old and would already be at City, but couldn't get a work permit, although Pep tried everything to get him one. If he can get a work permit at the end of the season, he could be the answer and would save us tens of millions.
We wouldn't be trying so hard if Pep didn't think he was a player

douglas luiz did have a big reputation coming out of brazil. has been a little hit or miss the few times i have watched but doesn't look far off from some of our rumored targets.

Not sure people realize the cv of ndombele
18 months ago , the guy was playing in l2 france, he is breaking to the french national team(given quality in midfield says a lot)
Kante came out as world class at 24 with leicester(after a very promising season at caen), Ndombele 22 years old had a phenomenal improvement since he came to l1 and lyon , 18 months ago and still a lot of room for improvement
this guy step up in big matches, he is physically a beast with good technical ability ,top box to box , really modern midfielder 6/8 position
an absolute no brainer for me even at 60 millions+

He had a terrible first half against Madrid the other night, I watched the full game .... He was a bit better in the 2nd half but he's nowhere near the level needed to walk straight into our team.

He had a terrible first half against Madrid the other night, I watched the full game .... He was a bit better in the 2nd half but he's nowhere near the level needed to walk straight into our team.

I don't know what game you were watching, but Douglas Luiz got universal praise for that game across Spanish media. Played a big part in Girona's comeback and win.

I think the best strategy with Luiz would be to give him another loan next season - maybe even with Girona again, so he can really establish himself in a familiar surrounding and there isn't any fear of him going to another club and stagnating.

We will be signing another DM regardless of him this summer and Fernandinho still has another season playing at a good level in him, despite some signs of him slowing down this year. Keep Luiz's development/game time going and look to bring him back for the 20/21 season when Fernandinho (then 35 years old) will have either left or be on his last legs. Luiz can then be the rotation option behind our DM signing this summer, who will hopefully be well settled at that point.

Even if we don't end up keeping Luiz, I think he will turn enough heads over the next season or so to pick up a decent transfer fee.

I think the best strategy with Luiz would be to give him another loan next season - maybe even with Girona again, so he can really establish himself in a familiar surrounding and there isn't any fear of him going to another club and stagnating.

We will be signing another DM regardless of him this summer and Fernandinho still has another season playing at a good level in him, despite some signs of him slowing down this year. Keep Luiz's development/game time going and look to bring him back for the 20/21 season when Fernandinho (then 35 years old) will have either left or be on his last legs. Luiz can then be the rotation option behind our DM signing this summer, who will hopefully be well settled at that point.

Even if we don't end up keeping Luiz, I think he will turn enough heads over the next season or so to pick up a decent transfer fee.

This is actually a really good call. Especially when you consider that if Luiz has a full season somewhere next year picking up starts (maybe even a PL side), then we only have to worry about securing a DM target this coming summer, rather than needing to do it for the next two summers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.