Denis Law and the Backheel - the Facts & Evidence

Weird game, came back from 4 0 down to lose 4 3. When Andrews approached Busby all you could hear at Maine Rd was " City reject allo ,allo, cut out from broadczst not surprisingly. Think it must have been 1971 as still at school, one of smallest rag followings I can remember at a home Derby.
That was a very strange match. It was basically a dead rubber after the season had finished and was played like a friendly. The crowd (43,000 according to this site) was much lower than usual for a Derby in those days. There were not many United fans there but I still remember some scrapping in the Kippax in the corner.

Imagine this game being the final game of this season. Imagine we can relegate United on the last day. Imagine how scarce tickets would be and how big the crowd would be. On that day it was all comers and pay on the gate, the way football should be.

Us in 2000 v Chelsea, ref blew up early.
Think City still had a chance of avoiding relegation that day but Chelsea won easily. Ugly scenes at the end and Zola looked pretty scared as fans swarmed around him, no way to treat a great player.

I was there with my dad (I was aged 12 ) stood in the scoreboard end and if I remember correctly there were either 2 or 3 pitch invasions…..all I remember is the Stretford End running across the pitch and climbing into the Scoreboard end….they seemed to be diving over our heads.

I remember the half time scores being announced and the results meaning United were being relegated whatever the result at OT and I was cheering and got slapped across the face by a United fan…..not that I would have done because it was pretty scary….but there’s no way my dad would let me retaliate.

At the end of the match they were all fighting amongst each other.
What it meant in the end was that we had humiliated them on their own patch…..regardless of the other results, it still felt as though we were responsible for their relegation.

What a pity a few years ago when we fluffed our lines at 2.0 up and with Sterling missing a hatful of chances….to win the league by beating them…..I think the emotions would have been very similar.

I was there with my dad (I was aged 12 ) stood in the scoreboard end and if I remember correctly there were either 2 or 3 pitch invasions…..all I remember is the Stretford End running across the pitch and climbing into the Scoreboard end….they seemed to be diving over our heads.

I remember the half time scores being announced and the results meaning United were being relegated whatever the result at OT and I was cheering and got slapped across the face by a United fan…..not that I would have done because it was pretty scary….but there’s no way my dad would let me retaliate.

At the end of the match they were all fighting amongst each other.
What it meant in the end was that we had humiliated them on their own patch…..regardless of the other results, it still felt as though we were responsible for their relegation.

What a pity a few years ago when we fluffed our lines at 2.0 up and with Sterling missing a hatful of chances….to win the league by beating them…..I think the emotions would have been very similar.
Yes - 3 pitch invasions in total. Two during game and one before kick off.

The detailed article on the Denis Law Backheel and Utd’s relegation goes behind the paywall at the end of Monday so Bluemooners can read it for free now: https://gjfootballarchive.com/2022/09/20/denis-law-and-uniteds-relegation-2/ Enjoy!

Yes - 3 pitch invasions in total. Two during game and one before kick off.

The detailed article on the Denis Law Backheel and Utd’s relegation goes behind the paywall at the end of Monday so Bluemooners can read it for free now: https://gjfootballarchive.com/2022/09/20/denis-law-and-uniteds-relegation-2/ Enjoy!
I’ve read it and really enjoyed it.

It was a funny old season…..we had lost the league cup final a few weeks earlier then played United straight after at Maine Road for what must have been rearranged game….Dennis Tueart and Mickey Horswill making their debuts and Doyle and Macari refusing to leave the field after being sent off…Ron Saunders then sacked and then the Derby at OT.

Last league game for Franny as well as Law.

[mention]Gary James [/mention]

There’s a typo just before the first press clipping:

If you lie this article -> like

Enjoyed it and just as I remember as a 10 y/o listening on the wireless, wasn’t allowed to go to away games at that age.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.