Denis Law and the Backheel - the Facts & Evidence

Gary ....go and have a kip.

WE relegated the twats...... that will never change in my head no matter what the truth is...;)
Have you read it? Emotionally that goal absolutely relegated Utd. Before the game Utd were not relegated. After it they were. I compare the emotion to 2012 for them because before the game there’s hope for them. Norwich score and that adds to their belief they can survive. If this was a modern day live on Sky last day there would be tables being produced after every moment saying who is up and who is down (though Utd had another game so it would have been ‘it’s still in their hands’ type statements at certain points).

Stronger than the goal my abiding memory was of Mike Doyle standing there with the feral moron fans charging around him with a look of “come on then, have a go if you think you’re hard enough”
And despite being 23 years old, I too was “shitting it” leaving the ground.
But they didnt have a go at it him.
Its before my time but i know all about the shit that doyle gave them over the years, and this was their chance! But 50,000 of the shit bags shit it

Not the first time this happened iirc
Pretty sure we played the derby as the last game of the season a couple of years before when Eamonn Andrews ambushed Busby for This is Your Life
Weird game, came back from 4 0 down to lose 4 3. When Andrews approached Busby all you could hear at Maine Rd was " City reject allo ,allo, cut out from broadczst not surprisingly. Think it must have been 1971 as still at school, one of smallest rag followings I can remember at a home Derby.

Have you read it? Emotionally that goal absolutely relegated Utd. Before the game Utd were not relegated. After it they were. I compare the emotion to 2012 for them because before the game there’s hope for them. Norwich score and that adds to their belief they can survive. If this was a modern day live on Sky last day there would be tables being produced after every moment saying who is up and who is down (though Utd had another game so it would have been ‘it’s still in their hands’ type statements at certain points).
Great read mate........did you see my wink?

As promised, I've just read the article. Excellent work Gary.

Probably already been mentioned as it's one of THE iconic Citeh moments, but I haven't read the whole thread.Anyone remember Mike Doyle calmly walking off as the invasion was happening. Not one of the scruffy inbreds would go anywhere near him. Legendary stuff.

*edit* Just spotted @LongsightM13 commenting on Doyle's walk. Loved the Bay City Rollers reference. Shang-a-lang, indeed!

10:05 into the video. Mike's walking off and one of the big men seems to be giving him a bit of the verbals. He just turns around, looks at them and stands there. They won't go near him!

Not only that, the 2 tramps giving him the verbals are trying to hide behind each other

One of the rollers sniper booted doyle up the thigh/arse with an oppo about to deliver the same..doyle had spun round and delivered a straight right...think he had his boot off at one stage with the posse round him ( the utube is well edited). I remember it clearly cause a priest sat in the directors box ( edwards guest) exploded calling doyle ' a fuckin dirty blue twat bastherd, somebody call the police, he's struck him'...the olde fella called the priests a no good two-tongued twat...i was 11yr old, it was brill.

I thought this was the funniest bit at the end - never again will I slag Howard Kendall off for walking out on us for Everton!

One personal footnote: Howard Kendall, the future City boss, was a player with United’s relegation rivals Birmingham City. Kendall was going out with (and ultimately married) one of the teachers at my primary school where our headteacher, Mr. Hughes, was a dedicated United fan. On the first school day after United’s relegation all the school was sat in that morning’s assembly listening to Mr Hughes when suddenly, behind us, there was a loud banging on the windows at the back of the school hall. We all turned to see Howard Kendall stood there pointing at Mr Hughes. He then started laughing and pointing downwards. I didn’t get it but later my older brother told me he was winding Mr Hughes up about United’s relegation and Birmingham’s salvation.
Brilliant !!

Emotionally City did relegate Utd. My point being that the ref only abandoned the game when he knew all hope for them had gone. It’s simple really - before that game Utd were not relegated. After it they definitely were.
And what a glorious day it was, the look on Dennis's face, and the pitch invasion at the end will live with me to my last breath.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.