Depression

I forgot to take my minimum dose mirtazapine tablet the other night. Fuck me, Not only could I not get off to sleep for hours, I fell into a really black mood and lay there working out ways to top myself.

It is terrifying to think that such a tiny tablet makes such a difference. I am back in my proper senses now, but I wonder if I will ever get off this pill.
I came of 45mg but I still take Venlafaxine. I know others who are in the same boat, off Mirtazipine but still on something else.

The sleeplessness would resolve itself in a few days. Your body is just used to the particular effect of the drug that knocks you out. It hits the H1 receptor in the brain that governs wake/sleep cycle. It's the same mechanism as antihistamines like diphenhydramine / Benadryl.

But there's a psychological thing as well, we have to little things we do routinely as signalling bed time to trick us into falling asleep. Also worth noting that if you are taking the pil that dissolves on your tongue, this is very fast acting.

As for your ability to cope without the antidepressant effect, that might be different. Mirtazipine gave me a sort of sheen over my senses that made it easy to live with things, was easier to take pleasure. I still sort of miss it, but I've coped with COVID and tragedies and many other things without it, and am going through one of my best periods in years. I hope things work out well for you.

Advice is therefore kind of: I wouldn't worry that much. It would get easier if you did. As long as it was the right time for you, your body would adapt quickly enough.

This thread gives me faith in Humanity.

I can't believe how far it's come since I tried to start one, years back.

There's so many different varying degrees of advice, you could almost choose one that suits you best as none of them are wrong, just what we've personally experienced!

Well done, fellow Humans!

This thread gives me faith in Humanity.

I can't believe how far it's come since I tried to start one, years back.

There's so many different varying degrees of advice, you could almost choose one that suits you best as none of them are wrong, just what we've personally experienced!

Well done, fellow Humans!
Agree with this loads. I've been on this thread and others on here when I've been having dark times over the last couple of years. The empathy received from people I don't even know is amazing. And I can only applaud and support those who need some help - we all do.

Those who read the ' how is everyone coping ' thread will know I had a really bad day on Thursday.

The help and support I was offered that day was truly amazing. I wasnt expecting that. A big thank you to you all.

Looking back I think I have suffered from depression since a young man, certainly from my mid 20'. It came and went back in the mid 80's I felt if I went on medication it would effect my job prospects. Thankfully that isnt so now.

Back then people didnt talk about depression, all the doc wanted to do was put me on prozac (spelling ?). Which all I knew back than was hard to come of, so I refused. Thsts all I was offered.

I tried alternative medicine, I think it work but not sure.

I think I thought I'm a bloke so just man up and get on with it.

Now at 60 I cant just work my way out of it like i did when i was younger. More things seem to set me on a downward spiral. I have lost my fight am feel so tried

Thankfully I got through to my doctor on Friday, a phone appointment but she was lovely. Listen to me under no rush to finish the conversation, made me feel important again.

The doctor had clearly gone through my notes , she knew my pass. Knew I had always turn down medication. I had tried counselling but that didnt seem to help. The doc said there all different types of counselling nowadays.

Doctor has signed me off work for a month which felt like a huge weight had been lifted of my shoulders. She asked if they any triggers points , which I think last week there was. Basically work, broadening on bullying and favoritism. Threaten with redundant or demotion, whilst other get away with doing as the want, mostly drinking tea. In my younger days I could deal with it.

So the doctor will consider all things with regards to when and how I return to work.

Doc has put me on some meds as I have tried to avoid but feel I need help this time. Sertraline for a month and will monitor me closely.

It is fantastic that threads like this are on bluemoon. The help and support I received on Thursday was life changing and I mean that. I wasnt alone people, complete strangers cared and helped me. Some PM me offering help or just an ear for me to talk to.
, even to meet for a chat.

Anyone who feels the need to just let stuff out do it. There are people on here who will help you point you in the right direction. People dont judge you.

Thank you my fellow bluemooners.

Those who read the ' how is everyone coping ' thread will know I had a really bad day on Thursday.

The help and support I was offered that day was truly amazing. I wasnt expecting that. A big thank you to you all.

Looking back I think I have suffered from depression since a young man, certainly from my mid 20'. It came and went back in the mid 80's I felt if I went on medication it would effect my job prospects. Thankfully that isnt so now.

Back then people didnt talk about depression, all the doc wanted to do was put me on prozac (spelling ?). Which all I knew back than was hard to come of, so I refused. Thsts all I was offered.

Now at 60 I cant just work my way out of it like i did when i was younger. More things seem to set me on a downward spiral. I have lost my fight am feel so tried

Thankfully I got through to my doctor on Friday, a phone appointment but she was lovely. Listen to me under no rush to finish the conversation, made me feel important again.

The doctor had clearly gone through my notes , she knew my pass. Knew I had always turn down medication. I had tried counselling but that didnt seem to help. The doc said there all different types of counselling nowadays.

Doctor has signed me off work for a month which felt like a huge weight had been lifted of my shoulders. She asked if they any triggers points , which I think last week there was. Basically work, broadening on bullying and favoritism. Threaten with redundant or demotion, whilst other get away with doing as the want, mostly drinking tea. In my younger days I could deal with it.

So the doctor will consider all things with regards to when and how I return to work.

Doc has put me on some meds as I have tried to avoid but feel I need help this time. Sertraline for a month and will monitor me closely.

It is fantastic that threads like this are on bluemoon. The help and support I received on Thursday was life changing and I mean that. I wasnt alone people, complete strangers cared and helped me. Some PM me offering help or just an ear for me to talk to.

Anyone who feels the need to just let stuff out do it. There are people on here who will help you point you in the right direction. People dont judge you.

We chatted in other thread mate, glad got signed off, take care of yourself

Never thought I’d ever suffer with depression but after 3 suicides in recent years of family/ friends and the death of my mother I was floored. The darkness was so overwhelming. Turned to drink and put my family through hell. Finally I am slowly returning to my old self but it’s took therapy and I’m not ashamed to say it absolutely worked for me. Life’s good again.

Hope you are feeling better mate, can I just say the meds they give out today could transform you, a few years ago, I found myself out searching for my brother with the police, we thankfully found him before it was too late and he got the help he needed. He was 48 and started on anti depressants, his life has been transformed, his wife says it’s like living with a different person. He has since been diagnosed as been on the autism spectrum because when he was born it just didn’t exist! I don’t talk to him much and never really did we weren’t close, but after he was sorted he thanked me for what I did (wasn’t much really) and that’s probably the most he’s ever really said in years to me, but it was enough for me to know he was happy.

I’m considering EMDR for lifelong issues with dissociation.

Interesting.

Sounds like you've had a difficult past and nothing else has worked for you.

I'm quite interested in what happens for you (if you could report back if you decide to do it) as I've been told I have PTSD from my youth I've not ever processed.

I find your post are among the more interesting ones that I usually agree with and can relate to. So keep posting !

And keep cycling too!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.