Did anyone on here attend the ECWC Final in 69?

Always Ali

Team supported
The Champions of Everything
As the title suggests, Did you go? I asked this on another thread but it will be missed in there!
I would love to know what it was like to see City triumph in Europe. I am sure most of us have seen the highlights but the game was so poorly attended (under 8000!!!!) and played in terrible conditions but never heard a 1st hand account of the night!

BOMBER7967 said:
As the title suggests, Did you go? I asked this on another thread but it will be missed in there!
I would love to know what it was like to see City triumph in Europe. I am sure most of us have seen the highlights but the game was so poorly attended (under 8000!!!!) and played in terrible conditions but never heard a 1st hand account of the night!

Nah, I was there in 1970 though.

liamctid said:
BOMBER7967 said:

Nah, I was there in 1970 though.

Ok, for the terminally pedantic, 69/70 season! ;-)

BOMBER7967 said:

Before my time by about 12 months :(

I was there:
vienna1t.jpg

Left of picture, the next two lads hitch-hiked all the way there the rest of us went on a package organised by one of the travel companies.

vienna2j.jpg

The two teams line up prior to the kick off, shortly after the heavens opened and we all got pissed wet through (no cover in the stadium). Had a great night in a club in Vienna after the game, it was so good I don't really remember it.

Gray said:
I was there:
vienna1t.jpg

Left of picture, the next two lads hitch-hiked all the way there the rest of us went on a package organised by one of the travel companies.

vienna2j.jpg

The two teams line up prior to the kick off, shortly after the heavens opened and we all got pissed wet through (no cover in the stadium). Had a great night in a club in Vienna after the game, it was so good I don't really remember it.

Thanks, that 1st pic is just awesome! I would love to have had that "City Experience" and seeing them lift a trophy!

i was there. open seating & pissed down all night so some of us sheltered under the stand access tunnel where we could stay dry & still see the game. only 10,000 there but mostly blues. very few gornik fans. back home the game wasn't on tv because the cup final replay between chelsea & leeds took priority. just city's luck to reach a euro final & it not being shown on tv.

but hey, we won. nelly young scored one & won a penalty which lee converted. gornik pulled one back but city looked pretty comfortable. mike summerbee missed the game through injury & ian bowyer took his place.

the plane i was on was delayed for hours because of a technical problem & was the last city flight to leave vienna. by that time half the passengers were arseholed after breaking into their duty free bottles while waiting.

Yes, I was. 12 years old (old git I know) first time I went abroad, thought abroad was always hot so I went in my city top and shorts, absolutely poured down all day and night and no cover on the stadium, police at the airport kept us on an enclosure outside at the airport to boot. But I will always remember the game. Fantastic trip, came back to school and asked everyone if they watched it only to find out the FA cup replay was shown on ITV and BBC and not us, probably the only European (type) final not to be shown live. Been waiting for another chance ever since.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.