Did City ever have any Southern Hooligans?

mancityvstoke said:
erast fandorin said:
(Daffy?? From The Clarence?)
Yes mate,same lad

mad fucker[/quote]
I went for a small discrete city tattoo about 30yrs ago and Daffy came with me, had mine done and then he went in, came out with the comic character Daffy Duck done right up his arm,it looked mental but he loved it, guys mad as fuck

Ive known Daffy donkeys years .was with him coming back from Leicster in the 70s the buffet car was trashed & we just helped ourselves Daffy ended up getting nicked for eating a sausage roll

Daffy, Donald and Mickey.

Sound such friendly names don't they.

Seen Daffy do some mental things in my time. Part of The Clarence vault lot.

mancityvstoke said:

I saw him wade into 3 or 4 Leeds fans outside Elland Road once....flying in with Kung Fu kicks...!

Sky Blue said:
mancityvstoke said:

I saw him wade into 3 or 4 Leeds fans outside Elland Road once....flying in with Kung Fu kicks...!

Yeah and wading into robocops in town after a Derby game..they leathered him with batons but he wouldnt stop.

Blue2112 said:
Ian said:

+1. Well said.
One of the names mentioned on this thread has had me thinking back many years,to a character i,d forgotten about..a big blue who was around when i first started watching city,lots of memories of city in the 80s.....all because i saw the name on this thread.happy days.
Agreed mate

-- Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:32 am --

dennishasdoneit said:
fuck off.

Well said mate. If he don't like it "Fuck Him"

It's very easy when your sat in nice cosy comfortable 2012 to say that what lads got up to in the 80's was juvenile but that's what it was like then. Fuck me I remember so many times being in pubs in town after games and you never knew when it would go off or with who. You could walk in a pub and never know who might be in there, reds or blues and you had to at least be aware of that otherwise the other choice was to fuck off home and watch Dallas with your mam and dad. I was certainly no hard man and never ran with a crowd but I mixed with lads that were game as fuck because I wanted to have a drink and be amongst other Blues and if you did that then you at least had to stand by them if it happened. Usually it was nothing more than handbags, a few fists thrown and you were out of there. Nothing to be proud of and nothing to boast about and I don't think anybody ever thought that but it was just a part of growing up and going to games at that time.

Loads of away trips I was shiting myself beforehand but it never stopped you going and you knew that sometimes you might have to get involved. Thankfully with a bit of nouse you spotted it before it started and got out but on occasions you didn't, thankfully they were only few and far between. Don't understand why so many people get so precious about lads talking about a part of their City supporting past. It happened just like the inflatable craze, the fancy dress and other stuff which equally gets discussed with fond memories.

Well said, a cracking post. Couldn`t have put it any better myself.

bainy said:
Bilboblue said:
BL2blue said:
Incorrect use of (sic)

Anyway, I know of a few lads from down south in the 90s who formed a "hooligan" group to combat the cockney rags who used to populate the train stations up & down the country. Not sure of numbers or success in fighting. Named themselves Blue Suede Crew which probably deserved a beating in itself!

Weren't they the 'Similar Shoe Crew'?

As for the original question, I would say not exactly hooligans, but there was indeed a group of Blues who while not going looking for it, would certainly dish it out if met with hostilities, and they held their own, trust me.

"Anyone who was at Euston station would remember the battle with the cockney reds which followed months of provocation, they backed off after that".[/quote]

Bilblo, without naming names, tell us more.

I had to laugh when my nephew put this link on my Facebook page. We were The Similar Shoe Crew and were a group of lads who met in the late 80s. We were members of the official London Supporters Branch, but always paid the extra three quid to go first class on the trains. I was from Canterbury, there were a couple of Manc and Knutsford lads who lived in London, then a few Winchester and Southampton based blues. As the train worked its way north, there were a few lads from Milton Keynes and one from Stoke who joined us. We also had a couple of mates from Warrington who joined forces with us. We weren't a firm, we just took it for what it was. City were shit, we were into Manc music, boozing and having a laugh. We were standing on a platform on the way to Forest away in '89-90 and we were getting looks from mobs arriving in London. We realised that they may think we could be seen as fair game, so started joking about naming ourselves. Nobody could think of anything until as we looked at the ground pondering, someone said; "Our shoes are all similar". We all had suede shoes on and The Similar Shoe Crew was born. That day ended in disaster as after the Dibble/Crosby incident, all hell broke loose and I was one of many blues dragged out, charged and bailed to reappear.

The main incident occurred after a game in London. I can't remember the exact date, but it would have been '92ish. I wasn't there myself, but before a trip to a home game, a few of our 'mob' were attacked by cockney reds inside Euston. As I said, we weren't an actual mob, but somehow, one of us managed to talk the rest into a revenge attack. The date was picked and after we'd played at Spurs or Arsenal we decided to hang around and wait at Euston for the Cockney reds to get back into London. We saw other mobs arriving back in London and in drunken, idle chit chat, they said we were nuts to even contemplate it. However, it was now or never. We made our way to the ramp that led down to the platform as their train came in and as they started walking up, a few digs were thrown and at first, those first off the train didn't want to know. Then word got back to the rest of them. There was a big roar, then they were running towards us. We were hopelessly outnumbered, but there was like a two step drop to where they were on a slightly lower level. Everyone was swinging air punches, then someone in their ranks shouted; "Get that c***". It became apparent that he meant me. They'd just got back from Leeds, so had their most lethal there. We were screwed and backed off, then regrouped outside. I got a kicking eventually and had to make my way back to Canterbury with only the collar on my shirt holding it together. It was the most ill conceived ambush ever, but nobody was seriously injured and we collared a couple of them outside later in the night.

It's not big and it's not clever, but that's how it was. Several years later, I was watching an episode of The Bill where they infiltrated a fictional hooligan firm. The name they used for that firm was The Similar Shoe Crew.

blue underpants said:
spam1967 said:
blue underpants said:
He was the man, me and Dicko only blues around Ordsall Salford area early 70s, had to run the gauntlet of scum fans every day, but like i said he would never back down.
RIP mate, still think about those days often, you would have loved the last few years, i know you will be tormenting Kippax Debbie as you used to do in life, say hello to Big Mal, Joe, and Mickey Doyle

he'll be sat there with his can of breaker in his hand mate, don't worry blueunderpants!

you don't know how happy you'de made me mentioning dicko.

spike was one his top pals. i remember spike and dicko taking a coach to leeds in the 70's , slabs of concrete through roof an allsorts, spike was a rum **** as well back then.

nice one pal.
His cans of breaker, i used to take the piss out of him for drinking that pisswater but he never bothered, any club in town there he was strutting his stuff on the dance floor can of breaker in hand, me and Daffy used to be in fits of laughter, but what a cool cool guy and top blue

He gets a good write up in The Undesirables. If you don't want to read a book from one of our' red friends' then the photos may bring back one or two memories for the more active old blues...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.