"Disappointing" attendances

Big Mick's header that day ? No way would we have had 20k tickets unsold for a derby. Think the capacity was 48 by then maybe 44 but even so there must've been a reason for such a small crowd - one of the stands closed ?
I was there. There were big ticket selling restrictions beforehand due to crowd trouble. And those was the era of poor attendances across the board.

It’s no secret that he is frustrated by our home support, the early leavers, and the lack of atmosphere, and the lack of support his teams get at the Etihad.

It is a massive contrast to Bayern and German football in general.

As for Barcelona, we are talking about a ‘99,000’ seater stadium. Even with average crowds of 76,000 it’s impossible to fill it on a regular basis. I think Barcelona have filled it once this season in the CL? I’m sure it was full at times when Pep was Barcelona Manager.

Regardless if my opinions are right or wrong, Pep seems to have an on-going issue with our home support. In his defence he hasn’t said a bad word about our away support.

https://m.football-lineups.com/match/96006/

Copa Del Rey whilst Pep was managing Barca. Less than we had today.

Capacity was 65k for Charlton :-)
At least!

A fucking outrage that attendance. There were folk sat in the aisles in all the stands, most especially the Platt Lane, and the Kippax was so overcrowded it must have been unsafe. It certainly looked it. Swales was an absolute liberty taking cünt. A small-time chancer who blagged his way to getting control of our club.

Not sure if I've posted this before, but I was right next to the tunnel for that game. I was on Match of the Day when the teams came out! My dad sorted the ticket out about two hours before kick-off from a ‘business associate’ and slapped it in my hand. Made up, although I’d lost a little bit of interest in City after we got relegated in ‘83 if I’m being entirely honest. Not hugely, but City just became slightly less important. That game reignited my fire, which remained even when we went to shit. One of my favourite ever games. Brilliant day to be at the old stadium.

At least!

A fucking outrage that attendance. There were folk sat in the aisles in all the stands, most especially the Platt Lane, and the Kippax was so overcrowded it must have been unsafe. It certainly looked it. Swales was an absolute liberty taking cünt. A small-time chancer who blagged his way to getting control of our club.

Not sure if I've posted this before, but I was right next to the tunnel for that game. I was on Match of the Day when the teams came out! My dad sorted the ticket out about two hours before kick-off from a ‘business associate’ and slapped it in my hand. Made up, although I’d lost a little bit of interest in City after we got relegated in ‘83 if I’m being entirely honest. Not hugely, but City just became slightly less important. That game reignited my fire, which remained even when we went to shit. One of my favourite ever games. Brilliant day to be at the old stadium.

Brilliant day, my uncle (RIP) took me to the game as a late Birthday present.

I was there. There were big ticket selling restrictions beforehand due to crowd trouble. And those was the era of poor attendances across the board.
The mid to late 80 was a low point for crowds but even so 32 for a derby is an anomaly. As you say the restrictions must've been a big factor.

You might be right about 48k. I think it was a capacity of 52k for Charlton in ‘85, but Bradford might have led to the fire regs changing in stadiums. That’s certainly ringing a bell. it definitely went down around that time without the stadium changing.

Yes, Big Mick’s header. Fucking brilliant goal. It was a Sunday afternoon iirc and live on ITV. No other reason for the low crowd as far as I can remember. No stands closed, no. United fans were (inter alia) in the Platt Lane. Crowd of 32 to 35k seemed about right from what I recall. Definitely less than 40k.
I think the Kippax centre section was closed for some reason, a huge empty section of terrace and the biggest no mans land since WW1
ExhaustedWaterloggedAcornweevil-size_restricted.gif

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.