"Disappointing" attendances

Just watch it back,pep talks about th fans first,spoon fed them

To be fair Karen whether he was spoon fed or not , the club should instruct him to refrain from making comments about our attendances , he might be a god but he's also an employee and he is also an intelligent guy , surely he has witnessed the crap our fan base has endured , he should be speaking positively about the third highest attendance of the round ,not worrying about our numbers for Wednesday night against the Rags. He wouldnt do it to Barca or Bayern fans and we deserve the same respect.

Capacity was 65k for Charlton :-)
No chance. The biggest crowd I was ever in at Maine Road was 63500 in 1971 vs the rags and I was stood up in the newly opened North Stand. So 2 stands out of 4 were standing, only the Main Stand and Platter Lane were seated.
When the North Stand became all seats in 1972 the capacity was reduced to 52500.
And it stayed at that capacity for about 20 years.

Last edited:
The mid to late 80 was a low point for crowds but even so 32 for a derby is an anomaly. As you say the restrictions must've been a big factor.

I think I remember it now. We had three games fairly close to each other which I think were Leeds (or was it wolves?), Chelsea and United. Chelsea fans and maybe wolves too had been banned from away games. The turnstile operators gave you three vouchers when you went to Maine Road at one game and you needed that voucher to buy a ticket. So lots of people couldn’t buy tickets even though they wanted to go.

There was still loads of trouble at that derby particular outside after.

To be fair Karen whether he was spoon fed or not , the club should instruct him to refrain from making comments about our attendances , he might be a god but he's also an employee and he is also an intelligent guy , surely he has witnessed the crap our fan base has endured , he should be speaking positively about the third highest attendance of the round ,not worrying about our numbers for Wednesday night against the Rags. He wouldnt do it to Barca or Bayern fans and we deserve the same respect.
I think he's just being smart. He's in charge of getting results. It's important that there's a full house against Utd and a good atmosphere, and it will happen now. I'm glad Pep raised the topic. The supporters are important and matter.

I think the Kippax centre section was closed for some reason, a huge empty section of terrace and the biggest no mans land since WW1
ExhaustedWaterloggedAcornweevil-size_restricted.gif
Good spot. Apologies, @Thomas Hearns if I stand corrected.

No chance. The biggest crowd I was ever in at Maine Road was 63500 in 1971 vs the rags and I was stood up in the newly opened North Stand. So 2 stands out of 4 were standing, only the Main Stand and Platter Lane were seated.
When the North Stand became all seats in 1972 the capacity was reduced to 52500.
And it stayed at that capacity for about 20 years.
I don’t think he was being entirely serious, mate :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.