Discuss Pellegrini...(cont)

Status
Not open for further replies.
de niro said:
lol at this thread. we are MILES away from where we should be. we've had money long enough now to be much further up the football ladder than we are. I'd even say we are going backwards. the sad thing is its there for the taking, it was from the moment we won the league. We've managed to tread water since. evidence of this was scrimping over a few quid and so missing our targets in January.

cue the deluded.

I totally agree with this, whilst we have played some nice stuff this season and won the league cup, overall we are no further on than we were in May 2012 despite spending a lot of money since then.

If we don't win the league which let's face it is unlikely now, then one league cup in two seasons isn't really kicking on is it?

For fucks sake! Mancini wanted to run the club HIS way, was never gonna happen in a million years. The good sheikh wants City to be run the right way and we're on the right track now with the higher management and infrastructure in place. If we have to take a step back to take two forward then that has to be the way. We are looking at building this club on stone, not sand.

de niro said:
lol at this thread. we are MILES away from where we should be. we've had money long enough now to be much further up the football ladder than we are. I'd even say we are going backwards. the sad thing is its there for the taking, it was from the moment we won the league. We've managed to tread water since. evidence of this was scrimping over a few quid and so missing our targets in January.

cue the deluded.

Did someone call me?

Not getting into the manager argument but it has to be said - this season we should be completing our Premier League winning hat trick. It was there for the taking last year and this. Still a slim chance of making it 2 out of three - fingers crossed.

the blue panther said:
de niro said:

cue the deluded.

Did someone call me?

Not getting into the manager argument but it has to be said - this season we should be completing our Premier League winning hat trick. It was there for the taking last year and this. Still a slim chance of making it 2 out of three - fingers crossed.

We have been profligate. When you have a chance you have to take it and we haven't. Just got back after a week in Spain.

The consensus on Pellegrini is, he's a great guy but at the end of the day some way short of the type of manager who is going to win league titles or the CL. They said he'd done well at Villareal and Malaga but that it is very different managing the big clubs. We already know that from our own experience with Hughes. He'd overachieved with Blackburn. But was out of his depth with us.

karen7 said:
I sense an evening of bans on here coming up lol
Right I'm getting my tin hat on............. Don't want to be an innocent bystander caught in the crossfire.... Lol :-)<br /><br />-- Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:05 pm --<br /><br />
johnson28392 said:
Dribble said:
johnson28392 said:
Yes, it would stop them from being isolated. A narrow 4-3-3 could work. Navas wouldn't fit in because can't play as a inward winger. But I also think that the front three have to be capable of scoring goals and I don't know if Milner and Nasri can do that. Mancini actually wanted to play with three forwards after our title winning season, that's why he wanted Van Persie. Imagine a forward line of Aguero, Van Persie and Tevez.

Yeah I think a narrow 4-3-3 can work.

It would have to look likes this:

980192_Football_Manager_Team.jpg

It's how PSG play. They do it with Zlatan , Cavani and I think Lavezzi or Pastore.
Yes I agree that could work. I'm not adverse to having two strikers, it's losing control of the midfield I don't like so for me I'd happily sacrifice one out and out striker for a No 10 deep lying striker/attacking midfielder. My main worry would be out wide, your diagram looks like a closed motorway lane and if I was the opposition that would look like the route of least resistance to me and would put serious pressure on Kolorov and Zabaleta to stay put and defend in case they are doubled up on.

I suppose our formation issues would be settled overnight if we had Bale and Ronaldo on the either side of Aguero as that front 3 as that would frighten any team to death, but I reckon a front three of Aguero, Negredo and Jovetic wouldn't allow any opponent to sleep much easier anyway. :-)

The fullbacks have the freedom to attack. They provide the width. When you lose the ball you first try to win the ball high up the pitch, if you can't , the formation collapses into a 4-1-4-1, if the wide forwards can't defend you could be in trouble.

Going forward, the football is very fluid , it's easy to keep the ball and circulate it ..it's almost impossible to lose possession. If you're a midfielder, there's always options, there's always someone you could pass it to..and upfront you got your agile and technical strikers that can combine to create goals.

As for Bale and Ronaldo, none of these two are technical enough to play centrally.
Sorry I have to disagree there. Ok they're not intricate dribblers like Messi etc and are more high speed twist and turn merchants, but come on surely you wouldn't say no to any of them? :-)

robbieh said:
the blue panther said:
de niro said:

cue the deluded.

Did someone call me?

We have been profligate. When you have a chance you have to take it and we haven't. Just got back after a week in Spain.

The consensus on Pellegrini is, he's a great guy but at the end of the day some way short of the type of manager who is going to win league titles or the CL. They said he'd done well at Villareal and Malaga but that it is very different managing the big clubs. We already know that from our own experience with Hughes. He'd overachieved with Blackburn. But was out of his depth with us.
Pellers is perfect for us for the time being "holistically" until we get Pep in two years. Trust the sheikh, that's why he got Ferran and Txiki on board to make sure as a football club, we know what we need to be successful on the pitch as well as off it.

de niro said:

cue the deluded.

Unfortunately a lot of truth in this. We're now facing the possibility of yet another 'transitional' season when we ship out the players unable to play the latest system and bed in new ones. It sounds like Mancini's departure in the end was necessary but it's still interesting to think where we could have been had we signed Van Persie, De Rossi and Hazard the summer after winning the league. Perhaps we would have won the league again but be in an even worse position now though? Who knows. I dont think it's unfair to suggest however that with the investment we're not as far along as Khaldoon and Mansour envisioned in 2008.

nobody can eat fifty eggs said:
For fucks sake! Mancini wanted to run the club HIS way, was never gonna happen in a million years. The good sheikh wants City to be run the right way and we're on the right track now with the higher management and infrastructure in place. If we have to take a step back to take two forward then that has to be the way. We are looking at building this club on stone, not sand.
I think I'm right in saying nobody's disputing this, my issue is what was the summer transfer window of 2012 about?

It seriously set us back imho and I still think we're suffering the effects of it now. Whether Mancini had a future or not, the club (which is the most important thing) has a future irrespective of who the manager was/is, and as such I think we should have protected and progressed our status as champions further by cementing our place with the transfer window of transfer windows to hammer home our slim goal difference advantage over ManUre and the rest.

We missed a golden opportunity imho........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.