Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
supercity88 said:
A great performance, we went and attacked and put out a team to stamp our authority. I stand by the fact that the managers confidence and knowledge of the Champions League counts for a lot. He knew we could beat them and made the players believe. He didn't tinker with formations or put out a defensive lineup, he didn't try three at the back. I know people hate the mention of Mancini but Pellegrini has been brought in to address our European form and so he will no doubt pop up in conversation, I have said previously I think Mancini put a lot of pressure on himself to perform in Europe, he was sacked from Inter for poor performances, the first season we did everything right and ultimately were unlucky. I think last season he mixed it up too much. Away at Ajax the side he put out was dreadful. He almost tried too much. But the draw was tough. Moving on, Pellegrini has taken the pressure off us completely. We play Bayern knowing that anything above a loss is a great result and it is a real test against a class side, the best in Europe most probably. Pellegrini knows their system and players well and indeed Guardiolas. Got a lot of confidence in him taking us forward when the players gel. Moving into the derby we will get a good idea of how he sets us up and what sort of mentality he has for the game. Given ours and the rags wins in Europe it means no matter what the result is the pressure will not build. I was hoping the rags would struggle and if we beat them Moyes would be in for a really rough ride.

Yes, the game with Munich is a fascinating one. last season against Dortmund Malaga struggled at home and were very lucky to get away with the draw. In the away leg though Pellegrini had obviously given great attention to Dortmund's preference to play on the break and slice through midfield, and he stopped them doing both completely in Germany. Dortmund never looked the slick passing Rolls-Royce they had done in other matches. Isco had an outstanding game there and we all know how close Malaga came to pulling off a shock. Munich obviously pose different problems, though they break very quickly too and go forward with great power and pace, but three points at home for City and the group would be looking very healthy indeed. A point at home and we might feel a bit twitchy with a date on Moscow's plastic pitch next up - just a thought, aren't they having work done on their ground and playing their matches elsewhere?

BillyShears said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
The second half last night was what I think we were all expecting to see from a Pellegrini team.

As many people have been saying, expecting to see everything from day one consistently was always going to be a tall order. As I said last night in the matchday thread, encouraging signs of improvement in what we saw in the 2nd half. Having Vinny back helped.

One thing which I think we very noticeable was that players' heads didn't go down when they made mistakes. Confidence is the word I'm looking for. In particular Nasri and Dzeko, two players who I've criticised in the recent past, looked hungry for the ball and hungry to work. Dzeko in particular - it was noticeable him encouraging from the front, applauding the players around him getting them motivated.

It's early days but for me Pellegrini's man management is what is going to get the best out of players like that. Encouraging signs last night. If they take that attitude into the derby then we won't lose.

-- Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:13 pm --

tolmie's hairdoo said:
I fear if we concede as many free-kicks and set-pieces situations as we did in that opening half, it won't matter against United.

They have van Persie with that flat delivery and another component to factor in will be Fellaini, who caught us on our toes last year at home.

Sounds like Clichy is really struggling and that means Kolarov once again. I think Plzen actually ran out of steam pretty quickly and we again looked overrun in the centre of the pitch.

A really positive aspect for me was Nasri, that was his best game in a City shirt and he showed plenty of desire to get on the ball.

That's the player I thought we were buying and he deserves to start ahead of Silva, regardless of whether he is fit to return.

I've been pretty confident on the last few occasions we have gone in to a game against United. Can't say the same this time around. We've looked stretched against even sub-standard opposition?

I thought the ref gave them far too many soft free kicks to be honest. And their players seemed happy to hit the deck like they were in the penalty area pretty much anywhere on the pitch.

What have you heard about Clichy? Are they saying he's definitely out?

Agree about Nasri. I'm sanguine about the derby if I'm honest. The onus will be on us to impose ourselves on the match. I think Moyes will pay us the kind of respect Ferguson did at our place in the title deciding derby. It's a game he simply won't want to lose.

I got sick of us giving away too many soft free kicks a long time ago. This is something that Pellegrini needs to address with the team. I'm hoping one upside of Gaz Baz going is less fouls being conceded. I did think the ref a bit generous last night but we don't want to be giving Webb any easy excuses to let RvP whip in dead balls.

I didn't think we were overrun last night although the commentary team wanted to make it sound like that, again. We had more possession throughout last night's game and decent pass completion stats; that does not happen to teams that are truly overrun. That is not to say there is not a whole load of room for improvement and, as I was - wrongly it turns out - tempted last night to start with J-Rod, Yaya and Fern, I'd be even more tempted to do so against the Rags. I think United will try to press us and Moyes will have them biting at us like a pack of rabid dogs. I think we have to win the battle for the ball first and then start to dismantle them.

Agree about Nasri, who was my MotM last night. I also thought he worked really hard against Stoke but was not as effective on the ball as he was last night, when he had more time and space. I did enjoy seeing him run up the middle and almost go past about six opponents. Pellegrini needs to get him to try that sort of thing more often i.e. drive at the heart of the opponents' defence and not turn back and make a safe pass.

Thought yaya was outstanding last nite would love to see him in a 3 man midfield making the kind ov runs like he did last night surley you have to play to your strengths and when u have a player like him u play to his strengths.

OB1 said:
I got sick of us giving away too many soft free kicks a long time ago. This is something that Pellegrini needs to address with the team. I'm hoping one upside of Gaz Baz going is less fouls being conceded. I did think the ref a bit generous last night but we don't want to be giving Webb any easy excuses to let RvP whip in dead balls.

I didn't think we were overrun last night although the commentary team wanted to make it sound like that, again. We had more possession throughout last night's game and decent pass completion stats; that does not happen to teams that are truly overrun. That is not to say there is not a whole load of room for improvement and, as I was - wrongly it turns out - tempted last night to start with J-Rod, Yaya and Fern, I'd be even more tempted to do so against the Rags. I think United will try to press us and Moyes will have them biting at us like a pack of rabid dogs. I think we have to win the battle for the ball first and then start to dismantle them.

Agree about Nasri, who was my MotM last night. I also thought he worked really hard against Stoke but was not as effective on the ball as he was last night, when he had more time and space. I did enjoy seeing him run up the middle and almost go past about six opponents. Pellegrini needs to get him to try that sort of thing more often i.e. drive at the heart of the opponents' defence and not turn back and make a safe pass.

I think there's very little chance of us changing our set up on Sunday. I'm going to be honest and say I really don't mind. The last thing I want to see is a conservative team selection at home this early in the season no matter who the opponent. As importantly I think the players need to be feel confidence in the system the manager plays and as much of a risk as it might seem, playing that way against the rags and beating them will do wonders for belief. Not just for the players but for the supporters too and for everyone associated with the club. For me, it would be criminal to start thinking about loading the midfield with Rodwell, Fernandinho, and Yaya, no matter how advanced Yaya can then play. We saw last night that when Vinny steps into midfield Yaya naturally has license to move forward.

On a general note - I think Pellegrini is going to be much less fluid with the way his team plays than Mancini was. What I mean is that whereas Mancini was happy to change his formation repeatedly during matches, Manuel IMO won't do that. I get the feeling he's more cut from the same cloth as someone like Wenger, who's teams have always played one way, and rarely does that change mid game.

OB1 said:
TGR said:
FantasyIreland said:
Its not,he's history,so why bring it up?

Move on,its not healthy.

Because he felt like it. Why is even the mention of the name M A N C I N I such a problem to some people on here?

You don't really need that explaining, do you?

For the record, it's not a problem for me. I was a confirmed outer for the last two months of his tenure but a big fan and staunch defender for much of it. Be nice if we could all stop arguing about him but that seems a fanciful idea.

But it doesn't have to be a fanciful idea. The Mancini tenure needs to be packed in a box with a nice blue ribbon and a 'thanks for all the memories' sticker on it. Maybe we can bring it out on special anniversaries for a rummage through but by and large it is over. So really what is with the constant sniping? Even that Ducado fella was at it barely a minute after the final whistle blew. Lets enjoy a good result and, in the 2nd half certainly, a good performance and the sort of performance we know that the players are capable of because we have seen it countless times before. That we saw it in the CL made it that much sweeter. Well for me it did anyway.

Does anyone think Moyes is going to come to the Etihad playing very conservatively looking for a draw like Ferguson was doing on a couple trips? I expect City to have 60% of the possession with United trying to score off counters and set pieces. Pellegrini seems aware that teams are going to try and score off counters.

BobKowalski said:
OB1 said:
TGR said:
Because he felt like it. Why is even the mention of the name M A N C I N I such a problem to some people on here?

You don't really need that explaining, do you?

For the record, it's not a problem for me. I was a confirmed outer for the last two months of his tenure but a big fan and staunch defender for much of it. Be nice if we could all stop arguing about him but that seems a fanciful idea.

But it doesn't have to be a fanciful idea. The Mancini tenure needs to be packed in a box with a nice blue ribbon and a 'thanks for all the memories' sticker on it. Maybe we can bring it out on special anniversaries for a rummage through but by and large it is over. So really what is with the constant sniping? Even that Ducado fella was at it barely a minute after the final whistle blew. Lets enjoy a good result and, in the 2nd half certainly, a good performance and the sort of performance we know that the players are capable of because we have seen it countless times before. That we saw it in the CL made it that much sweeter. Well for me it did anyway.

Bit rich coming from the guy who's spent the better part of two months telling us how Pellegrini is nothing more than a continental Roy Hodgson ... what was it you said "promoted two levels above his station". His achievements no better than Hughes' at Blackburn.<br /><br />-- Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:18 pm --<br /><br />
SkyBlueUSA said:
Does anyone think Moyes is going to come to the Etihad playing very conservatively looking for a draw like Ferguson was doing on a couple trips? I expect City to have 60% of the possession with United trying to score off counters and set pieces. Pellegrini seems aware that teams are going to try and score off counters.

Yeah I do actually. I think he'll be as conservative as Ferguson was in the title deciding derby season before last. Be difficult for him to leave it out Rooney or Van Persie but overall they play pretty deep IMO and look to hit us solely on the break.

Fuck I hope Clichy's back for it ...

BillyShears said:
On a general note - I think Pellegrini is going to be much less fluid with the way his team plays than Mancini was. What I mean is that whereas Mancini was happy to change his formation repeatedly during matches, Manuel IMO won't do that. I get the feeling he's more cut from the same cloth as someone like Wenger, who's teams have always played one way, and rarely does that change mid game.

I'm only doing this so for once I can agree with Billy. Er. Agreed.

Seriously though I enjoyed Mancini's tactical changes and fluidity especially during the game as it often got results but equally it could and did confuse the players at times and lead to disaster. Mancini's biggest strength and weakness was the need to control what was happening on the pitch. He was also a gambler whereas Pellers is more conservative and will establish a system (which if I am honest I don't think will be that much different from the old system in the long run) and stick with it rather than trying to control what is happening on the pitch. Its down to trusting the players. Mancini didn't trust them enough whereas Pellers will which should lead to a calmer and more stable environment which will prove beneficial in the CL at least.

Good night for him overall - never thought we were going to concede, even when they started brightly. As has been mentioned by Tolmie we still give too many silly free kicks away in fairly dangerous positions. There's no need, just stand your man up, keep him with his back against goal and be fucking patient! We do it a lot and fortunately don't concede too often because of shite deliveries. Against those rag cunts the quality of ball in wont be as easy to deal with so we need to cut it out.
The win was the most important part of last night, doing it well was a bonus that should hopefully carry into Sunday.
Couple of honourable mentions go to Kompany, different team completely with his leadership, you'd have to be batshit not to recognise it. Nasri,YaYa and Fernandinho much improved second half and good to see the big man allowed to push on whilst little man sat and picked up the pieces. Navas looked lively, happy to go at his man and win us corners or deliver dangerous balls then the little maestro himself Sergio. Class player who I'll never tire of watching.
More of the same Sunday please mr Pellegrini.

BillyShears said:
OB1 said:

I think there's very little chance of us changing our set up on Sunday. I'm going to be honest and say I really don't mind. The last thing I want to see is a conservative team selection at home this early in the season no matter who the opponent. As importantly I think the players need to be feel confidence in the system the manager plays and as much of a risk as it might seem, playing that way against the rags and beating them will do wonders for belief. Not just for the players but for the supporters too and for everyone associated with the club. For me, it would be criminal to start thinking about loading the midfield with Rodwell, Fernandinho, and Yaya, no matter how advanced Yaya can then play. We saw last night that when Vinny steps into midfield Yaya naturally has license to move forward.

I think you are right about Pellegrini and I agree that we have to play his system to perfect it. However I am torn on whether we should just go for it or be a bit more conservative at this stage in the transition and season: there's no prizes for losing in a blaze of glory against such a major rival; in fact, there would be no glory in defeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.