Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OB1 said:
FFS, Pellegrini quite clearly stated in his post match interview on Sky that we were not prioritising the UCL over the Prem.
Doesn't that go against what he said the other day after the Stoke match about CL being the target or something? Supposed to be working so not got the time to look for quotes.

Didsbury Dave said:
OB1 said:
Didsbury Dave said:
As City is a brand vehicle for Abu Dhabi, the additional worldwide exposure gained by Champions League success is worth much more than the cash generated alone. As the club develops it's sponsorship and commercial deals there are big financial benefits there too. Also throw in the worldwide recruitment of fans who are a potential ongoing revenue stream in future, and you can see why this club needs to start to do well in the CL.

I think The Sheikh wants us to win the thing in the next few years.

I bloody hope that's what he wants.

Whilst you can never predict cup competitions, I don't even think we are that far away. This squad is already close to the top ones in Europe. We are still behind Barca, Real Madrid and Bayern but we are in that "marzipan" group just behind them. If we maintain this core and add (or develop!) a couple more world class players then we just need to be blended properly into a unit to have a real chance.

I don't think it's beyond us to win it in the next 3-4 years.

The expectations are no different than last year or the year before. We've got a squad, and certainly a best XI which can beat anyone on it's day. Once you get through the group (which I won't be taking for granted) then it's about injuries and a bit of luck. Personally I think with the quality in the competition in general whoever you get, there's no easy route out of the knock out stages. You have to go and as Benitez said once "play the perfect game". (I do like the way Rafa's become the new go to guy in the thread).

The financial benefits are, as you say Dave, not just confined to the money you make from the competition. The knock on effects from a commercial aspect can be huge the further you go in the competition. I also standby the idea that it definitely helps attract players if you do well in the competition. Conversely doing poorly in it as we have done can often leave you looking incredibly undesirable.

St Helens Blue (Exiled) said:
Didsbury Dave said:
OB1 said:

Whilst you can never predict cup competitions, I don't even think we are that far away. This squad is already close to the top ones in Europe. We are still behind Barca, Real Madrid and Bayern but we are in that "marzipan" group just behind them. If we maintain this core and add (or develop!) a couple more world class players then we just need to be blended properly into a unit to have a real chance.

Dave..morning fella..would you put dortmund..psg in that marzipan group?
Personally I dont think we are anywhere close to that yet but time will tell.

Yes I would. But I think we would have absolutely nothing to fear if drawn against either team. In fact I'd fancy us to beat them.

If we get blended as a unit properly, like Bayern are, then I think we would even go head to head with the best teams in Europe.

We have the quality in the squad to achieve big things if the manager can do his job well.

adammck said:
Didsbury Dave said:
OB1 said:

Agreed with everything here. If Chelsea can win a CL, so can we... We almost have a squad to compete with those other clubs but you always need a little bit of luck on the way, like any cup competition.

I think Chelsea used every bit of luck going to win it,fair play I guess
Tough to get past Madrid/barca/bayern/Dortmund at the moment
As we improve so do they too.

FantasyIreland said:
blueinsa said:
FantasyIreland said:
Vinny is the foundation of our team,he's the platform for others to play and excel,its worrying that without him we are so less effective.

Obviously we are not a one man team,however,we are a more limited and less confident one when he isn't on the pitch.This isn't a sudden finding,it was evident in each of his previous abscences and i'm unsure it has been properly addressed.

Tbf fella, show me a side anywhere that can lose its talisman and not feel it?

If you dont miss them, they cant be that special in the first place and Vinny is very special.

I understand losing your talisman(excellent description....) would be detrimental to any side,however,he seems to be our heart beat,we just aren't the same team without him.

Anywhere else on the pitch we can afford to lose a player,we lose Vinny and were in the shite......that isn't right.
Despite the earlier holistic thing, I reckon we're on the same page with this. Not right at all.

BillyShears said:
Didsbury Dave said:
OB1 said:

The expectations are no different than last year or the year before. We've got a squad, and certainly a best XI which can beat anyone on it's day. Once you get through the group (which I won't be taking for granted) then it's about injuries and a bit of luck. Personally I think with the quality in the competition in general whoever you get, there's no easy route out of the knock out stages. You have to go and as Benitez said once "play the perfect game". (I do like the way Rafa's become the new go to guy in the thread).

The financial benefits are, as you say Dave, not just confined to the money you make from the competition. The knock on effects from a commercial aspect can be huge the further you go in the competition. I also standby the idea that it definitely helps attract players if you do well in the competition. Conversely doing poorly in it as we have done can often leave you looking incredibly undesirable.

Bang on about player recruitment Billy. And that ties in with my earlier post that with a couple of world class additions we could be favourites.

Interestingly, we are 4th favourites to win it at 14/1.

Didsbury Dave said:
Bang on about player recruitment Billy. And that ties in with my earlier post that with a couple of world class additions we could be favourites.

People were banging on in the summer, and actually still are, about us signing Reus for example. I don't get it - with the best will in the world - his team were in the final of the CL last season and finished runners up in the Bundesliga. Moving to City for someone like him, I'm sorry to say it, would be a joke. If he came he'd come for entirely the wrong reasons (money only). We need to go and prove ourselves at that level and then we can start praying on players who are already doing well in the competition.

It's difficult to see how anyone other than Madrid/Barca could be favourites whilst they have Ronaldo/Messi. However if one of those two were to come to City then we'd be talking :)

Didsbury Dave said:

We've been abt 8/1 -10/1 for the last couple of years
3rd favs at the start

Now we are not far off double those odds
15/1 biggest abt even aft a good opening win

Could be worth a punt.

The cookie monster said:
Didsbury Dave said:

3rd favs at the start

Could be worth a punt.

Lets get out ov the group first we, ll avoid bayern in next round and english teams think its important we win the group or its going to be bsrca or madrid

The cookie monster said:
Didsbury Dave said:

3rd favs at the start

Could be worth a punt.

Save your money on that one cookie. 15/1 sounds about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.