Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
BillyShears said:
adrianr said:
I'll still be amazed if we beat Bayern, and I'd be very happy with a draw. We shouldn't be too quick to raise our expectations to beating Bayern levels, because they're the best team in Europe. Yes they have a new manager, but so do we. They still have the majority of a team that won the Champions League, very convincingly too.

Beating CSKA away would be a much better and achievable short term CL target. In fact picking up 6 points off them and beating Plzen at home would be fantastic, regardless of results against Bayern.

I'm not worried by raised expectations ... particularly in light of posts along the lines of "we'll struggle to finish in the top 4 this season" ... I think expectations needed to be raised ... ;)
Confidence. It was worrying how much the Cardiff result seemed to weigh on the players. This and the CL match were perfect for their confidence.

taconinja said:
BillyShears said:
adrianr said:
I'll still be amazed if we beat Bayern, and I'd be very happy with a draw. We shouldn't be too quick to raise our expectations to beating Bayern levels, because they're the best team in Europe. Yes they have a new manager, but so do we. They still have the majority of a team that won the Champions League, very convincingly too.

Beating CSKA away would be a much better and achievable short term CL target. In fact picking up 6 points off them and beating Plzen at home would be fantastic, regardless of results against Bayern.

I'm not worried by raised expectations ... particularly in light of posts along the lines of "we'll struggle to finish in the top 4 this season" ... I think expectations needed to be raised ... ;)
Confidence. It was worrying how much the Cardiff result seemed to weigh on the players. This and the CL match were perfect for their confidence.

Absolutely ... confidence was key. Also think, simply put, losing your captain, having to play with a makeshift back four, whilst getting to grips with a new manager's system ... well teething problems are excusable. The question was how long would it be before we'd see a Pellegrini team. Well we certainly have seen one twice in a week now. If we take that into Wigan/Villa and do the same again, then yes, I even think we can go into the Bayern game with belief and positivity.

BillyShears said:
taconinja said:
BillyShears said:

Absolutely ... confidence was key. Also think, simply put, losing your captain, having to play with a makeshift back four, whilst getting to grips with a new manager's system ... well teething problems are excusable. The question was how long would it be before we'd see a Pellegrini team. Well we certainly have seen one twice in a week now. If we take that into Wigan/Villa and do the same again, then yes, I even think we can go into the Bayern game with belief and positivity.
I remember being depressed and angry after losing to United last season... not because we lost although that always ticks me off... but because I knew that they would use that result to kick off and surge ahead to take the league. I knew it in my bones. I'm having that same feeling for us after this result. I know it's early. I know. I'm also aware I could be flat wrong on this.

But I feel that barring major injuries, we have the initiative and the players are going to take the chance.

I just hope there's no wholesale resting of players for the villa match like there was at stoke before plzen. The best chance of getting a result against bayern is to go into it flying after a run of good results. Our strongest team is excellent but if we make too many changes then villa will become a tough match.

OB1 said:
Bayern are a very strong team but we have rarely lost at home in Europe; plenty of draws.

If Im right we are unbeaten at home in the CL, admittedly lucky with Dortmund last season but we are somehow, our away European form has cost us, napoli, ajax, bayern,dormund etc

Lancet Fluke said:
I just hope there's no wholesale resting of players for the villa match like there was at stoke before plzen. The best chance of getting a result against bayern is to go into it flying after a run of good results. Our strongest team is excellent but if we make too many changes then villa will become a tough match.

I disagree somewhat.

I would rest Silva, Yaya and Aguero at Villa and rotate the fullbacks (if possible).

Any news on Aguero limping off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.