Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
adrianr said:
I'll still be amazed if we beat Bayern, and I'd be very happy with a draw. We shouldn't be too quick to raise our expectations to beating Bayern levels, because they're the best team in Europe. Yes they have a new manager, but so do we. They still have the majority of a team that won the Champions League, very convincingly too.

Beating CSKA away would be a much better and achievable short term CL target. In fact picking up 6 points off them and beating Plzen at home would be fantastic, regardless of results against Bayern.

I tell you what though mate, we need to take a leaf out of Dortmund's book.

Two seasons ago they finished bottom of their CL group consisting of Arsenal, Marseille, Olympiacos and themselves, for the German Champions that year you would think that was a bit of a failure for them.

The season after Klopp seemed to have got that team so hungry for the success in the Champions League it got them to the final, and this is the area in which I hope Pellegrini can excel us in, if we can replicate the hunger, desire and motivation that Dortmund showed last season I feel confident we could have a great year in the CL this season, and for me we saw early signs against United yesterday.

I am not saying we will win it, but motivation goes a long way in the CL.

I feel that if we can show immense levels of desire against Bayern next week and possibly win that game, can you imagine the confidence it will give the players? Not only could it kick start our CL campaign but it could also go along way in us possibly topping the group and sending a message out to the other European teams that City means business.

The only issue with us is that we are to easily prone to switching off in my opinion, we look immense one week then dire the next, if Pellegrini can rectify that and get us into a consistent motivated team then who knows??

It was too soon to anoint us Champions after Newcastle. It was too soon to write us off after Cardiff, Hull, and Stoke. We've now had two great results in the last week, but it's still too soon to make a final judgement on Pellegrini and this group of players. Yesterday was awesome, but the main issue in the disappointing games so far has been the lack of domination in the middle of the park and that was never going to be the problem against United's craptastic midfield. We also got some fortune with RVP's absence. On the other hand, we were unlucky not to have Kompany for those disappointing games, and it's been plain to see what a difference he makes to the team.

Once we've played a full range of teams with a full range of our own players and seen how they perform, and how Pellegrini deals with the various different challenges he faces, we might start to get an idea of where we are under the new regime. That'll probably be around the turn of the year, if you ask me. Until then, opinions will fluctuate wildly up and down at every goal scored and conceded and if we could harness all the emotional turbulence involved, we'd solve the energy crisis.

coxy16 said:
OB1 said:
Bayern are a very strong team but we have rarely lost at home in Europe; plenty of draws.

If Im right we are unbeaten at home in the CL, admittedly lucky with Dortmund last season but we are somehow, our away European form has cost us, napoli, ajax, bayern,dormund etc

We are.

Aren't the mighty FC Midtjylland the only overseas team to win a European game at City?

Chelsea beat an injury ravaged City at Maine Road in the Cup Winners Cup in 1971 (my first European game).

CaliforniaBlue said:
It was too soon to anoint us Champions after Newcastle. It was too soon to write us off after Cardiff, Hull, and Stoke. We've now had two great results in the last week, but it's still too soon to make a final judgement on Pellegrini and this group of players. Yesterday was awesome, but the main issue in the disappointing games so far has been the lack of domination in the middle of the park and that was never going to be the problem against United's craptastic midfield. We also got some fortune with RVP's absence. On the other hand, we were unlucky not to have Kompany for those disappointing games, and it's been plain to see what a difference he makes to the team.

Once we've played a full range of teams with a full range of our own players and seen how they perform, and how Pellegrini deals with the various different challenges he faces, we might start to get an idea of where we are under the new regime. That'll probably be around the turn of the year, if you ask me. Until then, opinions will fluctuate wildly up and down at every goal scored and conceded and if we could harness all the emotional turbulence involved, we'd solve the energy crisis.
Ya...I guess Arsenal/Chelsea/Liverpool/Spurs and everton wld be teams to beat this season...Arsenal with Ozil look like they can break through any defence...very lucky they didnt sign quality striker

toffee balls said:
Lancet Fluke said:
I just hope there's no wholesale resting of players for the villa match like there was at stoke before plzen. The best chance of getting a result against bayern is to go into it flying after a run of good results. Our strongest team is excellent but if we make too many changes then villa will become a tough match.

I disagree somewhat.

I would rest Silva, Yaya and Aguero at Villa and rotate the fullbacks (if possible).

Any news on Aguero limping off
I'm not so concerned about the more attacking players. We have enough strength in depth there to rotate. I'm thinking more about kompany and fernandinho tbh. We have a situation where apart from perhaps the league cup kompany has to play every match. Also if he rests fernandinho and brings in Garcia, I reckon that would be a mistake. He shouldn't rest yaya either IMO. It was a great result yesterday but we have to kick on now and we saw at stoke what happens when we change too many players. It's only September I'm sure they can cope.

Lancet Fluke said:
toffee balls said:
Lancet Fluke said:
I just hope there's no wholesale resting of players for the villa match like there was at stoke before plzen. The best chance of getting a result against bayern is to go into it flying after a run of good results. Our strongest team is excellent but if we make too many changes then villa will become a tough match.

I disagree somewhat.

I would rest Silva, Yaya and Aguero at Villa and rotate the fullbacks (if possible).

I'm not so concerned about the more attacking players. We have enough strength in depth there to rotate. I'm thinking more about kompany and fernandinho tbh. We have a situation where apart from perhaps the league cup kompany has to play every match. Also if he rests fernandinho and brings in Garcia, I reckon that would be a mistake. He shouldn't rest yaya either IMO. It was a great result yesterday but we have to kick on now and we saw at stoke what happens when we change too many players. It's only September I'm sure they can cope.
Point taken but we've got the new centre half to come back, along with Micah and clichy. For midfield cover/rotation we've got Rodwell and Milner too. They are good players.

I never thought we could play as well as that without two absolutely key players in silva and clichy, but we did.

I agree he needs to lose the Garcia obsession though.

Didsbury Dave said:
Lancet Fluke said:
toffee balls said:
I disagree somewhat.

Point taken but we've got the new centre half to come back, along with Micah and clichy. For midfield cover/rotation we've got Rodwell and Milner too. They are good players.

I never thought we could play as well as that without two absolutely key players in silva and clichy, but we did.

I don't like to have a go at are players, but have to agree Re Garcia

andyhinch said:
Didsbury Dave said:
Lancet Fluke said:

I don't like to have a go at are players, but have to agree Re Garcia

to be fair garcia has, nt got the legs to play in a 2 man midfield think he, s fine in a 3 like carrick for the rags looked out ov his depth in a 2 yesterday but much better when he hsd cleverleys legs to help him out garcia rodwell and fernandinho would be a good 3 to play when others need a rest.

Garcia and Fernandinho are both technically good, but limited players. They read the game well and because of that they are good at breaking up opposition moves. What they both lack is creativity.

Garcia is never going to be a superstar and neither is Fernandinho. But they are both decent players who can carry at a limited role in the team very well.

mammutly said:
Garcia and Fernandinho are both technically good, but limited players. They read the game well and because of that they are good at breaking up opposition moves. What they both lack is creativity.

Garcia is never going to be a superstar and neither is Fernandinho. But they are both decent players who can carry at a limited role in the team very well.

I'm possibly Garcia's biggest defender on this forum but to say Fernandinho suffers the same shortfalls seems absurd to me. His passing can be incisive and creative and his running and tracking are second to none in this squad. He even has a decent shot on him.

So impressed with him, linchpin of the derby win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.