Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
blueinsa said:
I gave it Bob in spades when i felt it necessary and its only right i give it to Pellegrini also.

Last night was a debacle and capitulation both on and more worryingly, off it as well.

Unforgivable for a professional football manager to think he could get away with 2 against 3 in midfield in the first place at this level and worse still, to not react when every man and his dog can see its going tits up after 5 mins was inexplicable and a complete brain fart on his part.

Bayern where magnificent and we could have played a blinder and still lost to them such was their quality but we didn't have a blinder, we were absolutely fucking shocking and that is definitely not good enough in my book.

I think he has what it takes to turn it round and i still think we will win the PL but fuck me, performances like last night don't have ramp the pressure up and if he didn't know the size of the task beforehand, he certainly does now.
A good post blueinsa

BillyShears said:
blueinsa said:
I gave it Bob in spades when i felt it necessary and its only right i give it to Pellegrini also.

Last night was a debacle and capitulation both on and more worryingly, off it as well.

Unforgivable for a professional football manager to think he could get away with 2 against 3 in midfield in the first place at this level and worse still, to not react when every man and his dog can see its going tits up after 5 mins was inexplicable and a complete brain fart on his part.

Bayern where magnificent and we could have played a blinder and still lost to them such was their quality but we didn't have a blinder, we were absolutely fucking shocking and that is definitely not good enough in my book.

I think he has what it takes to turn it round and i still think we will win the PL but fuck me, performances like last night don't have ramp the pressure up and if he didn't know the size of the task beforehand, he certainly does now.

Just playing devil's advocate for a moment .... what were Pellegrini's options at half time if it's true that Silva couldn't play more than 20 minutes?
Milner for Dzeko?

BlueAnorak said:
Pellegrini isn't up to the job.
A total brain fart on the tactics front against Byern.
I can understand why he tried what he did but not to change things around for 75 minutes is just incompetent.

That said Byern were awesome and rightly applauded by the City faithful.

Every team in the Prem will no pack central midfield and overload on YaYa and Fernandiniho. I wonder how long it will take Pellegrini to come up with an answer? It had better be fairly quickly or the Prem title will be gone and possibly CL qualification as well.
He didn't wait 70 minutes.

He changed the shape after the half by dropping Aguero deeper to press. As I've said, it worked a bit until we conceded again.

I think he really wanted to put Silva there as he would hold the ball but wasn't fit enough according to Pellegrini.

Sure there were other midfielders but I don't think Pellegrini thought Garcia or Milner in midfield would change the dynamics enough so he tried to hold out for Silva.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
Milner for Dzeko?

Well Milner or Garcia ... but yeah, that's pretty much it. At 1 - 0 down it's a difficult call to make. Milner isn't renowned for his speed of thought or his technical ability so yes he would've provided more cover defensively, but it would've also meant that if/when Silva was needed one of our other creative players would've had to have made way ... I think as soon as the first goal went in it made the manager's job more difficult. Do you play to win or play to keep the result respectable.

It's just another point of view for those who think it's unthinkable that Pellegrini didn't make the change. Not necessarily one I entirely agree with but it's a point of view.

BillyShears said:
blueinsa said:

Just playing devil's advocate for a moment .... what were Pellegrini's options at half time if it's true that Silva couldn't play more than 20 minutes?

He had Milner on the bench mate and for me, his best position is as a CM and we just had to match them as it was men against boys.

It was the no contest that got to me, it was a capitulation and so basic a thing to put right, its indefensible to even try and make an excuse for him not altering it very, very early in the game.

that said, we could have had the game of our lives last night and still got dicked they are that fucking good but at least we could hold our heads and hands up rather than us having to bow our heads this morning.

Will he get it right? yes, i honestly think he will and ive seen enough to make me excited for the future but he surely has to see that the high line and 2 in midfield against quality opposition is a no fucking go from now on?

As for Silva, if he only had 20 mins in him then surely its not the right game for him to make his comeback in?

Exeter Blue I am here said:
Jumanji said:
Rabbit in the headlights? I don't think that's fair.

The manager obviously realized we were being outnumbered.

In the second half, he made Aguero play deeper to match their numbers in a 451. It was a noticeable position shift so it was the manager's doing.

It wasn't going to be that effective attacking wise because Kun can't distribute and carry the ball like a true AM. Now Pellers knows, I hope.

It helped marginally and we started the half well until the shock 2nd goal put the player's head in the sand.

Silva was the real game changer in that position but was only fit enough for 20 min according to Pellegrini.

Whilst I would lump the lion's share of the blame for last night's debacle on the manager's head, there's no question he was let down by some of his players as well. Hart, Clichy, Nasty and, inevitably, Dzeko, all turned in error strewn performances too

Errors have been a feature of our CL games. Barry against Napoli, Rodwell against Dortmund. Errors against Madrid, Villareal, Ajax. The previous manager was still blamed for our CL results despite the individual errors.

I just thought Pellegrini was incredibly slow to react to their overwhelming dominance in midfield. It seemed blindingly obvious that we needed to remove a striker and bring on another midfielder. That change should have been made after 20mins. The change to Aguero's position seemed like no more than a token gesture when drastic measures were sorely needed. I accept that he was limited by Silva's lack of fitness. But he could have brought Milner on, on the left, and switched Nasri central.

Exeter Blue I am here said:
Jumanji said:
Rabbit in the headlights? I don't think that's fair.

The manager obviously realized we were being outnumbered.

In the second half, he made Aguero play deeper to match their numbers in a 451. It was a noticeable position shift so it was the manager's doing.

It wasn't going to be that effective attacking wise because Kun can't distribute and carry the ball like a true AM. Now Pellers knows, I hope.

It helped marginally and we started the half well until the shock 2nd goal put the player's head in the sand.

Silva was the real game changer in that position but was only fit enough for 20 min according to Pellegrini.

Whilst I would lump the lion's share of the blame for last night's debacle on the manager's head, there's no question he was let down by some of his players as well. Hart, Clichy, Nasty and, inevitably, Dzeko, all turned in error strewn performances too

We are going to disagree badly for once: I blame the players far more than the manager. The formation was wrong but he is a manager that wants to let his players show their intellignece in games. Nothing stopped Dzeko or kun dropping deeper of their own accord in the first half for instance. I don't for one minute believe that the players not matching their opponents work rate was Pellegrini's doing: there was a reason he was working them so hard in preseason...

I do agree that he will need to be more pragmatic because some of his players may not be up to the task he requires of them and some may still be adjusting to what he wants. gleghorn was right on BBC manc when he said we were caught in between two styles. Problem for Pelle is that it is easier to teach people to park a bus than drive a formula one car.

Jumanji said:
BlueAnorak said:
Pellegrini isn't up to the job.
A total brain fart on the tactics front against Byern.
I can understand why he tried what he did but not to change things around for 75 minutes is just incompetent.

That said Byern were awesome and rightly applauded by the City faithful.

Every team in the Prem will no pack central midfield and overload on YaYa and Fernandiniho. I wonder how long it will take Pellegrini to come up with an answer? It had better be fairly quickly or the Prem title will be gone and possibly CL qualification as well.
He didn't wait 70 minutes.

He changed the shape after the half by dropping Aguero deeper to press. As I've said, it worked a bit until we conceded again.

I think he really wanted to put Silva there as he would hold the ball but wasn't fit enough according to Pellegrini.

Sure there were other midfielders but I don't think Pellegrini thought Garcia or Milner in midfield would change the dynamics enough so he tried to hold out for Silva.

Yep he definitely moved the deckchairs around after 45 mins. It was obvious it wouldn't work after about 5 mins. Why it took him 45 mins to even do that is beyond me.

As someone said last night he's looking like the Chilean Stuart Pearce
Three good games out of eight is piss poor

Roll on saturday,lets hope he can get a shift out of the players.

One thing for Mancini is that if he saw it going wrong after 20 mins he wasn't afraid to admit a mistake and make a tactical sub, granted it wasn't always the right one but he sought to change it up. Last night we were so open from the first minute, it was glaringly obvious we were bring over run in midfield and they were attacking 5/6 on 4 from the get go, yes they are a brilliant team with world class players but to not bring a body on to at least reduce the space is tactical suicide at best. He can't account for things like Joe Hart forgetting how to be a goalkeeper but he could have foreseen the obvious that Joe is not in good form and needs dropping - if he never recovers his form he's gone - I want him to do well and feel he's one of 'ours' but he isn't irreplaceable and there's numerous goalkeepers I'd rather have right now and most are obtainable (Begovic, Butland, Cesar to name 3).

MP's got a fair bit to fix about this team and we can't afford to drop away while he gets it right and seemingly doesn't want to change his 4-2-2-2 tactic is just stubbornness personified - he needs to learn and fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.