Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to put my neck on the line and say we will win nothing this year.

We play some very inventive stuff I have to admit but defensively we are a shambles.

What Mancini understood and Pellegrini doesn't is that leagues are built on solid defence. Why is that? So that when Kun, Edin or whoever have an off day you still pick up a point. These days we always look like we are going to leak a couple and against a better team than Everton that will happen.

For those going on that we haven't beaten Everton that often, well it is down to a change in management. Moyes didn't play an open game like Martinez. He played for a draw and hoped to nick one.

I am not complaining as it was a good game to watch, but just don't feel comfortable that we can keep a lead, we did today but not at Villa. Let's see where we are after the run of away games.

One thing to add. Negredo everytime over Dzeko.

Blankomania said:
NQCitizen said:
Didsbury Dave said:
He was totally and utterly ineffective because of the way we defended. They as a team created absolutely nothing in the game and he was the playmaker. It doesn't matter that he received the ball to his feet a few times, it matters that he wasn't able to use it.

I can't believe I'm having this discussion and that Ribery is in it.

He made 93% successful passes and had more touches on the ball than any of their attacking players?

Why can't you believe you're having a discussion about it being a bad idea to let creative players pick up the ball with only one flat row of players to beat? It seems like a fairly obvious discussion to have.

Also Everton had 6 shots, 4 on target.

Thats because he dropped deep to pick up the ball. He hardly ever had a run at our back four. 4 shots on target isn't impressive, especially when they were far out and pratically back passes.

Just wait for the highlights and you'll see how little everton created

Even though they scored first with their first real chance on goal and we were a bit edgy in the first 15 minutes after that other than one incident in the second half Everton created next to nothing in terms of chances.

Hart had nothing to do after he deflected their only goal.

robbieh said:

We play some very inventive stuff I have to admit but defensively we are a shambles.

What Mancini understood and Pellegrini doesn't is that leagues are built on solid defence. Why is that? So that when Kun, Edin or whoever have an off day you still pick up a point. These days we always look like we are going to leak a couple and against a better team than Everton that will happen.

For those going on that we haven't beaten Everton that often, well it is down to a change in management. Moyes didn't play an open game like Martinez. He played for a draw and hoped to nick one.

I am not complaining as it was a good game to watch, but just don't feel comfortable that we can keep a lead, we did today but not at Villa. Let's see where we are after the run of away games.

What did we win last year with a solid defence?

Didsbury Dave said:
NQCitizen said:
Didsbury Dave said:
He was totally and utterly ineffective because of the way we defended. They as a team created absolutely nothing in the game and he was the playmaker. It doesn't matter that he received the ball to his feet a few times, it matters that he wasn't able to use it.

He made 93% successful passes and had more touches on the ball than any of their attacking players?

Why can't you believe you're having a discussion about it being a bad idea to let creative players pick up the ball with only one flat row of players to beat? It seems like a fairly obvious discussion to have.

He was totally ineffective. As were Everton after the first 15 minutes.

Ok, so we can afford Barkley a world of space. What do we do when that extra man is Ozil, Mata, Eriksen or Coutinho, as it will be thanks to the 4-4-2?

Ducado said:
robbieh said:

Without a solid defence we will nothing in any year.

TGR said:
Ducado said:
robbieh said:

Without a solid defence we will nothing in any year.

True, but what I have seen of the defence a lot of the conceded goals have been down to individual errors

Exeter Blue I am here said:
Didsbury Dave said:
NQCitizen said:

He was totally ineffective. As were Everton after the first 15 minutes.

Yup. Ya Ya ran the show and Dinho put in a great shift to support him. Barkley did nothing of note, 93% pass success rate or not.
YaYa certainly did not run the show. He had his moments but overall I didn't think today was him at his best, not even close.

Code:
robbieh said:

The rags were shocking defensively last year

crystal_mais said:
NQCitizen said:
Didsbury Dave said:

No disrespect - let's enjoy this win. We basically tore Everton apart at will. More or less The same lot we have struggled against and were unbeaten so far this season.

Give the team some credit. I feel you are trying to pick some holes to have a crack at the boss. We sort the away form out and carry on improving we will be hard to stop simples!!!!

I really don't want to have a pop at the manager. I just don't want to pretend we've solved any of the tactical problems we had. We just benefitted from improved individual performances.

I'm delighted with the result, don't get me wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.