Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pablo1 said:
Exeter Blue I am here said:
Didsbury Dave said:
He was totally ineffective. As were Everton after the first 15 minutes.

Yup. Ya Ya ran the show and Dinho put in a great shift to support him. Barkley did nothing of note, 93% pass success rate or not.
YaYa certainly did not run the show. He had his moments but overall I didn't think today was him at his best, not even close.

Funny how people see games differently. I watched ours today with a Liverpool fan who's a good mate of mine. Halfway through the second half he turned to me and said "Toure's the best player in the league right now".

Just can´t see enough away wins this season - think we´ll be lucky to win 6 tbh. Even Toon have a better away record than us now - lets hope with our strong home form that´s enough for CL

TGR said:
Ducado said:
robbieh said:
I am going to put my neck on the line and say we will win nothing this year.

We play some very inventive stuff I have to admit but defensively we are a shambles.

What Mancini understood and Pellegrini doesn't is that leagues are built on solid defence. Why is that? So that when Kun, Edin or whoever have an off day you still pick up a point. These days we always look like we are going to leak a couple and against a better team than Everton that will happen.

For those going on that we haven't beaten Everton that often, well it is down to a change in management. Moyes didn't play an open game like Martinez. He played for a draw and hoped to nick one.

I am not complaining as it was a good game to watch, but just don't feel comfortable that we can keep a lead, we did today but not at Villa. Let's see where we are after the run of away games.

One thing to add. Negredo everytime over Dzeko.

What did we win last year with a solid defence?

Without a solid defence we will nothing in any year.

Sure we didn't but that was because we crap further forward. But that doesn't negate my original comment. At the moment we look like Keegan's Newcastle.

robbieh said:
TGR said:
Ducado said:

Sure we didn't but that was because we crap further forward. But that doesn't negate my original comment. At the moment we look like Keegan's Newcastle.

I am not sure that is a fair comparison to be honest, but it's all about opinions

Ducado said:
TGR said:
Ducado said:

True, but what I have seen of the defence a lot of the conceded goals have been down to individual errors

Cause and effect?

Doesn't a solid defense lead to fewer individual errors. Better concentration, less sloppy play?

noticed there was more of a tendency to just have 1 up top with Negredo or Aguero interchanging, which was better.

Width had to be provided by the full-backs and they did a decent job, particularly AK.

Silva makes a big difference to the flow and his movement is excellent.

You can see the players want to play for the team, it's down to setup as to why we have struggled.

Nastasic was excellent against Lukaku, had him in his pocket whereas Vinnie had struggled a little.

Goal came from what I believe to be another mix-up in stepping up. Lescott moved up, Vinnie didn't which meant Lukaku had a pocket of space, and from then it was soft defending and soft keeping that again let in a soft goal. Need to work on when to step up and when not to as the defence are clearly confused, it nearly lead to a second Everton goal in the 2nd half and I believe it was behind Villa's first and Bayern's 2nd as well.

Everton gave it a good go in the first half and had a fair chunk of the ball and put pressure on us. When we keep the ball we look great and when we don't we looked panicked and stretched, it needs work but we won and that's all I asked 3 days after Bayern.

We grew as the game went on, equalising straight away was key after the mistakes that let them score, would have been a very different game if we hadn't.

Ducado said:
robbieh said:
I am going to put my neck on the line and say we will win nothing this year.

We play some very inventive stuff I have to admit but defensively we are a shambles.

What Mancini understood and Pellegrini doesn't is that leagues are built on solid defence. Why is that? So that when Kun, Edin or whoever have an off day you still pick up a point. These days we always look like we are going to leak a couple and against a better team than Everton that will happen.

For those going on that we haven't beaten Everton that often, well it is down to a change in management. Moyes didn't play an open game like Martinez. He played for a draw and hoped to nick one.

I am not complaining as it was a good game to watch, but just don't feel comfortable that we can keep a lead, we did today but not at Villa. Let's see where we are after the run of away games.

One thing to add. Negredo everytime over Dzeko.

We finished second and got to a final we never showed up for.
Right now I think I would take that all day long.
Apart from the not-showing-up-for-the-final bit.

When MP came, I remember watching an old interview in which he stated that his role was really one of preparation, and that there was very little that he could do once the team crossed the line. That's the first time we've won from being behind, but I'll reserve judgement until I see us play our 6 CL fixtures, and until he makes a change (tactical or substitutional) during a match that turns round the game and result.

Evening everyone.

Well done to the boss today. Great team selection so a big respect to Pellegrini.

Please can we sort the away form out now......

May sound a little controvertial this but I thought the team looked so much better when Kompany went off. Lescott and Nastasic for the first time looked a reasonable partnership.

Fernandinho had his best game in a blue shirt

Negredo-awesome-Dzeko needs to learn from him how to lead the line on his own.

Away form next

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.