Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really important win for Pellegrini. At 0-1 I was thinking we were in for a hell of a shitstorm, but we came through well and thinks are looking much better.

Still a bit worried how we'll go against better midfields, hopefully he'll tweak that a bit against certain teams.

Interesting that MP gave Merlin a free role today, even with two forwards in the team. It was a very lopsided formation that left acres of space on our left and tbh I was surprised that Everton didn't try and exploit it with Mirallas and Coleman. One of Negredo or Sergio was expected to drift left to pressure that side and help AK out.

Worked, which is the main thing.

Rammy Blue said:
Interesting that MP gave Merlin a free role today, even with two forwards in the team. It was a very lopsided formation that left acres of space on our left and tbh I was surprised that Everton didn't try and exploit it with Mirallas and Coleman. One of Negredo or Sergio was expected to drift left to pressure that side and help AK out.

Will it work against better teams though? When we're leaving Oscar, Walcott, Lamela in acres of space. Will MP change if it doesn't?

BillyShears said:
Pablo1 said:
Exeter Blue I am here said:
Yup. Ya Ya ran the show and Dinho put in a great shift to support him. Barkley did nothing of note, 93% pass success rate or not.
YaYa certainly did not run the show. He had his moments but overall I didn't think today was him at his best, not even close.

Funny how people see games differently. I watched ours today with a Liverpool fan who's a good mate of mine. Halfway through the second half he turned to me and said "Toure's the best player in the league right now".
only city fans and bluemoaners, could nit pick ya ya , one of thebest midfielders I have seen in 50 years of watching football,

NQCitizen said:
Rammy Blue said:

Will it work against better teams though? When we're leaving Oscar, Walcott, Lamela in acres of space. Will MP change if it doesn't?

It will work in the Prem in the majority of games, I will be interested to see how we line up against the top sides away from home - Chelsea being the first of them soon enough.

Rammy Blue said:
NQCitizen said:
Rammy Blue said:

It will work in the Prem in the majority of games, I will be interested to see how we line up against the top sides away from home - Chelsea being the first of them soon enough.

This is what defines Pellegrini for me. If he can step away from the steamroller approach to deny big teams the space against us we'll do very well I imagine. If not I can't see us winning anything.

NQCitizen said:
Rammy Blue said:

I think you have to give him chance to get to know the prem

ped said:
BillyShears said:
Pablo1 said:
YaYa certainly did not run the show. He had his moments but overall I didn't think today was him at his best, not even close.

Funny how people see games differently. I watched ours today with a Liverpool fan who's a good mate of mine. Halfway through the second half he turned to me and said "Toure's the best player in the league right now".
only city fans and bluemoaners, could nit pick ya ya , one of thebest midfielders I have seen in 50 years of watching football,
It's what I saw on the pitch today, had he been his imperious best I'd have happily stated so. Today though he was far from his best. Other fans will point to him being this and that because they see his highlights where he does things that others can only dream of. Even today he produced flashes that leave you watching with a smile on your face but overall he was far from great today.

Ducado said:
NQCitizen said:
Rammy Blue said:

I think you have to give him chance to get to know the prem

I really hope he does and tbh I was confident he would but lining up 4-4-2 against Bayern really shocked me.

I don't see who in our squad is a top class option to be left of the 4 though while still offering solidity defensively.

If we line up 4-2-3-1 against Chelsea I think we'll be well on the right track.

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
Ducado said:
robbieh said:
I am going to put my neck on the line and say we will win nothing this year.

We play some very inventive stuff I have to admit but defensively we are a shambles.

What Mancini understood and Pellegrini doesn't is that leagues are built on solid defence. Why is that? So that when Kun, Edin or whoever have an off day you still pick up a point. These days we always look like we are going to leak a couple and against a better team than Everton that will happen.

For those going on that we haven't beaten Everton that often, well it is down to a change in management. Moyes didn't play an open game like Martinez. He played for a draw and hoped to nick one.

I am not complaining as it was a good game to watch, but just don't feel comfortable that we can keep a lead, we did today but not at Villa. Let's see where we are after the run of away games.

One thing to add. Negredo everytime over Dzeko.

What did we win last year with a solid defence?

We finished second and got to a final we never showed up for.
Right now I think I would take that all day long.
Apart from the not-showing-up-for-the-final bit.

Anyone else get the feeling that if we played an identical season to our last one it might be enough for first this year? I think based on what I've seen of the top clubs so far, I'd take last year's 78 points right now if offered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.