Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
strongbowholic said:
BillyShears said:
OB1 said:
I would think Rafa was passed over for the other factors that you have regularly highlighted. Whatever the reasons, he was clearly passed over it is a fact that he would have crawled up the M1/M6 on his knees for the City job (I assume in reality he has a home on the Wirral but...).

Must admit that I could not bring myself to plump for Rafa for City; although he was my first choice for the England job. I would not trust the guy with a cheque book but that should be less of a concern with a DoF. I am certain Rafa would win things at City.

I'm a big fan of Rafa's ... so much so that I once started a thread calling Mancini the Italian Benitez. I was of course completely wrong because whereas I naively assumed Mancini would do well in the cups but never win a league ... the opposite in fact turned out to be true. I digress though ... yeah I like Rafa a lot, and yes I suspect we'd have won things with him. However ultimately I don't think there's a great deal of difference between Rafa and Pellegrini other than that Pellegrini's probably a much better man manager.

Before anyone pipes up ... yes I know Pellegrini hasn't won a trophy in Europe (how could I forget when I get to be reminded each time I open this thread) but Rafa's won the CL, UEFA Cup, La Liga, etc. However when football clubs look for managers trophies is not the only box which needs ticking ... otherwise Rafa wouldn't have spent so much time in the footballing wilderness and Mancini wouldn't currently be sunning himself in Sardinia.
It's a relief to hear he is ok.

its a weight off my mind. Can concentrate fully on the match now.

mancity1 said:
OB1 said:
mancity1 said:
LOL but you may be Skating Away on the thin Ice now BK.

I agree he isn't but I wish he wouldn't troll who he perceives on here to be the RM's finest gathering of bluemoooners.

He needs a dose of Crispian St Peters BK.

See if you can get the gist in that one?

If you get it in one you get 5 bertie points.

Let's just hope Pellers can get City to play with passion today.

That's two bertie points OB1 it would have been three if it had of read lets show passion and play with pride today.

Jenny Anderson would be proud of you.

I'm still not sure if you have got the hang of the Bertie level system.

Jimmy Anderson is a fine swing bowler, not sure what he has got to do with anything.

BillyShears said:
OB1 said:
I would think Rafa was passed over for the other factors that you have regularly highlighted. Whatever the reasons, he was clearly passed over it is a fact that he would have crawled up the M1/M6 on his knees for the City job (I assume in reality he has a home on the Wirral but...).

Must admit that I could not bring myself to plump for Rafa for City; although he was my first choice for the England job. I would not trust the guy with a cheque book but that should be less of a concern with a DoF. I am certain Rafa would win things at City.

I'm a big fan of Rafa's ... so much so that I once started a thread calling Mancini the Italian Benitez. I was of course completely wrong because whereas I naively assumed Mancini would do well in the cups but never win a league ... the opposite in fact turned out to be true. I digress though ... yeah I like Rafa a lot, and yes I suspect we'd have won things with him. However ultimately I don't think there's a great deal of difference between Rafa and Pellegrini other than that Pellegrini's probably a much better man manager.

Before anyone pipes up ... yes I know Pellegrini hasn't won a trophy in Europe (how could I forget when I get to be reminded each time I open this thread) but Rafa's won the CL, UEFA Cup, La Liga, etc. However when football clubs look for managers trophies is not the only box which needs ticking ... otherwise Rafa wouldn't have spent so much time in the footballing wilderness and Mancini wouldn't currently be sunning himself in Sardinia.

I think BK hit it on the head when he said that our director of football was most likely the main instigator in bringing MP to City.

Don't forget Rafa was dealing with a hostile Chelski "fan base" at the time we were looking at MP when Roman couldn't deliver the Grumpy One as he is now calls himself upon sacking RD.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if the Grumpy One fell on his sword now.

Roman wouldn't lose any sleep nor would the Sacked One for a second time but the fans would (LOL).

Maybe then the Spanish drinkwaiter will be offered his old job back on a more " permanent basis ".

Nothing would surprise me with Roman.

Rafa's football is pretty bland... effective, but bland. Our chiefs want a beautiful brand of football they can sell to the world. Yes, it's nothing like that right now but in a year's time it probably will be if Pellegrini can get these players playing his way. If he can't then I wonder who actually might, since Pellegrini got the egos at Real Madrid functioning very well as a unit. With the attitudes of some of our players towards non-marquee games, you have to wonder if even Klopp dancing and screaming on the touchline would inspire them for the 'small' games.

BillyShears said:
OB1 said:

It might not be the only box but it's a pretty important one and that's why I was quite shocked that we went for him and the rags for Moyes. IMO both were employed for similar reasons in that they are unlikely to rock the boat.

As for Mancini, I'm sure he's enjoying himself after receiving a few million from us while waiting for a job that tempts him. Managers that have proven track records have that luxury.

BobKowalski said:
Agreed. The signing of players would still require Txiki's nod of approval so there would be few fears on that score. I think Mourinho is even worse at identifying and buying players he needs but in both cases give them a squad that marries up to their respective strengths and philosophies and you have something that will win trophies. And Rafa is a big advocate of a strong youth policy.

Obviously Mourinho politically was a non starter but I reckon Rafa would have worked provided the parameters of his role were clearly outlined and there was a bit of give and take on Txiki's part. As you say Rafa would have cheerfully drowned a sack of cute kittens to get the gig so the basis for negotiation was there. Loaning Gareth Barry may have been a deal breaker though.

I've a suspicion that if Pellegrini had turned the job down, Rafa might have ended up next in line. He probably would have kept Baz...<br /><br />-- Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:45 pm --<br /><br />
Paul Lake's Left Knee said:
mancity1 said:
OB1 said:
Let's just hope Pellers can get City to play with passion today.

That's two bertie points OB1 it would have been three if it had of read lets show passion and play with pride today.

Jimmy Anderson is a fine swing bowler, not sure what he has got to do with anything.

Are you sitting on a park bench (watching cricket)?

mancity1 said:
BobKowalski said:
mancity1 said:
Jethro Tull = Living in the Past.

You need to go to Tolmie Hairdoo's school of cryptic's mate.

Damn. I thought it was 'Thick as a Brick'...which personally I thought was harsh given that Billy isn't. Now if it had been DD I'd have nailed it.

LOL but you may be Skating Away on the thin Ice now BK.

Probably. Lucky I ain't a fat man

mancity1 said:
I agree he isn't but I wish he wouldn't troll who he perceives on here to be the RM's finest gathering of bluemoooners.

He needs a dose of Crispian St Peters BK.

See if you can get the gist in that one?

If you get it in one you get 5 bertie points.

I'll pass. I ain't dancing to your tune.

LoveCity said:
Rafa's football is pretty bland... effective, but bland. Our chiefs want a beautiful brand of football they can sell to the world. Yes, it's nothing like that right now but in a year's time it probably will be if Pellegrini can get these players playing his way. If he can't then I wonder who actually might, since Pellegrini got the egos at Real Madrid functioning very well as a unit. With the attitudes of some of our players towards non-marquee games, you have to wonder if even Klopp dancing and screaming on the touchline would inspire them for the 'small' games.

I think it'll be typical city if City are the first team in Pellegrini's managerial career to not be able to play the way he expects them to ... ;)

BillyShears said:
OB1 said:

I don't know the latest with his fathers condition but I believe he is his greatest mentor and role model and RM's greatest sense of pride throughout his tenure was when he directed his gaze towards him against QPR.

It was a great moment that went largely unnoticed in the euphoria and if you are really close to your father its not easy to juggle the pressure on personal and professional fronts.

Its apparantly nailed on that RM will be the next manager of Italy and should that be the case its a job he deserves and is well credentialed for.

As they say Billy good things come to those who wait.

As for Rafa I am more convinced of him in a two year deal at City than MP but we will never know so its futile speculating.

I naturally am in the camp that hopes like hell that MP meets his targets in the time he was here as the previous manager by and large did outside his second tilt at the knockout stage.

OB1 said:
BobKowalski said:
Agreed. The signing of players would still require Txiki's nod of approval so there would be few fears on that score. I think Mourinho is even worse at identifying and buying players he needs but in both cases give them a squad that marries up to their respective strengths and philosophies and you have something that will win trophies. And Rafa is a big advocate of a strong youth policy.

Obviously Mourinho politically was a non starter but I reckon Rafa would have worked provided the parameters of his role were clearly outlined and there was a bit of give and take on Txiki's part. As you say Rafa would have cheerfully drowned a sack of cute kittens to get the gig so the basis for negotiation was there. Loaning Gareth Barry may have been a deal breaker though.

I've a suspicion that if Pellegrini had turned the job down, Rafa might have ended up next in line. He probably would have kept Baz...

-- Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:45 pm --

Paul Lake's Left Knee said:
mancity1 said:

Are you sitting on a park bench (watching cricket)?

Unfortunately not. I am however finding wonder, that a manager can be ruled out within 4 matches but a clown who did a lot of harm at Liverpool, is being hailed as the next best manager and one we should have got.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.