Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
jrb said:
He was tasked with doing it, and he's done it.

Got City through to the knockout stages.

Yep you can't argue with people meeting their targets. I also think psychologically we needed it as another failure would have started eating away at us again plus it shuts everyone up which is always a plus point. The draw this year definitely helped but it still had to be done and it was. Another thing crossed off our 'To Do' list.

BobKowalski said:
jrb said:

Yep you can't argue with people meeting their targets. I also think psychologically we needed it as another failure would have started eating away at us again plus it shuts everyone up which is always a plus point. The draw this year definitely helped but it still had to be done and it was. Another thing crossed off our 'To Do' list.

I have noticed that certain sections of the media are yet again inappropriately gutted and finding it difficult to disguise the fact.

Champions League draws are so rigged it's untrue... not only we can't get other English clubs in the group so have 60% chance of getting Bayern, Madrid and Barcelona from top pot but also can't get them in 2nd round so usually have another 50% chance of getting two of top three we missed in a group as English clubs usually top their groups.

MSP said:
Champions League draws are so rigged it's untrue... not only we can't get other English clubs in the group so have 60% chance of getting Bayern, Madrid and Barcelona from top pot but also can't get them in 2nd round so usually have another 50% chance of getting two of top three we missed in a group as English clubs usually top their groups.
We can't get Bayern either.

Chelsea v Schalke is a big game for us, although it's difficult to see Chelsea lose after the job they did on them away. They'll top the group IMO.

Dortmund have two home games remaining then one away against Marseille - can't see them not topping their group.

So with that and the current trajectory of the group stage overall we're pretty much looking at one of:

Real Madrid
PSG
Dortmund
Atletico Madrid
Barcelona

My order in confidence of beating them (highest to lowest) is

PSG
Dortmund
Atletico Madrid
Real Madrid
Barcelona

I've put Dortmund above Atletico for the fact that Pellegrini got within a bees dick of beating them last year with Malaga, and that they're currently not looking as good as they were last season. Atletico are of course in fine form this season.

Real Madrid might seem beatable to some (arguably more than last season) as their squad feels slightly unbalanced but with Ronaldo in his ridiculous form and Bale settling down I can't see beating them over 2 legs.

BobKowalski said:
jrb said:

Bang on Bob.
It also raises the confidence of the players the manager and the club in general.
OK it was a pretty easy group but to be the first English club to qualify and to do it with 2
games to spare is no mean achievement.

I had to miss the game last night due to family reasons and didn't even find out the result until around 11.00pm.
However, the change in the tone of the media towards us was noticeable from what I heard and saw on both
TV & radio late last night. We have the headlines for all of the right reasons this morning.
It is a good day to be a Blue!

I am not sure who I would prefer to play out of the potential sides, based on likely group finishes. Ideally we either win the group (unlikely) or the other English teams fail to win theirs (unlikely with both United and Chelsea). You do never know though. Whilst Atletico are looking good, I think as we get into the middle of the season the games come thick and fast and I think they may lose form. They haven't the strength in depth other teams have, although right now I would not look forward to playing them. We will wait and see, on current form I would worry about our defensive capabilities, again however, Pellegrini will play an extra midfielder away from home I would imagine to keep it tight and then open up at home.

I am happy to see City stealing some positive headlines in Europe. It is nice to see the players performing with confidence and showing their true ability. Cannot really name individuals as nearly everyone was brilliant, just the touch and desire to get on the ball was so good to see. It has been what is lacking in previous seasons, that moment of class that we know we have. Defence remains the key to consistent success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.