Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didsbury Dave said:
BillyShears said:
Its interesting so many people think it was a deliberate ploy to play on the break yesterday - I don't think it was. I think Clichy was told to sit because of Lennon's pace - simple as that. Otherwise the reason we played on the break so much was because of the early goal and Spurs' early dominance in central midfield.
Exactly how I saw it mate.

By design or by accident it worked a treat.

Less possession equalled more room for the truly gifted to perform and the comparison with the way Real play is an accurate description.

Seriously though you two who call most things correctly tactically and performance wise need to give your heads a bit of a wobble if you keep dismissing Arsenal so lightly. They haven't changed Managers for a start and they are only intergrating one new player - and a World class talent at that. They do look a far greater threat than United or Chelsea to me.

ifiwasarichfan said:
Seriously though you two who call most things correctly tactically and performance wise need to give your heads a bit of a wobble if you keep dismissing Arsenal so lightly. They haven't changed Managers for a start and they are only intergrating one new player - and a World class talent at that. They do look a far greater threat than United or Chelsea to me.

I'll remind you of this when Arsenal can't buy a win for love nor money in the spring time when it matters! :)

Seriously, if they go and spend well again in January, i'll revisit my prognostication that they're not going to win the title. For the moment though, I don't see it even taking into account the lead they currently have.

Skashion said:
ifiwasarichfan said:
Either way Pellegrini would be a fool not to take heed of its lessons.

I think the problem is that whilst Spurs at least tried to attack, when we go away from home there's no guarantees that even if we invite lesser opposition onto us, that they'll obligingly push forward.

ifiwasarichfan said:
Didsbury Dave said:
BillyShears said:
Its interesting so many people think it was a deliberate ploy to play on the break yesterday - I don't think it was. I think Clichy was told to sit because of Lennon's pace - simple as that. Otherwise the reason we played on the break so much was because of the early goal and Spurs' early dominance in central midfield.

Less possession equalled more room for the truly gifted to perform and the comparison with the way Real play is an accurate description.

Except our gameplan is to play possession based football. Conceding possession to a team is fine if the team in question possesses neither the wit or creativity to hurt you which given Spurs recent form and lack of goals to date was precisely what we had. If we face a team that dominates the midfield and possession and has the creativity and firepower to hurt us then where does that get us?

Sunday has posed some interesting tactical considerations. The high line. Largely absent. Possession conceded and playing on the counter. Was Sunday a one off dictated by events or something that we can employ more often. Fascinating to see how this pans out.

ifiwasarichfan said:
Didsbury Dave said:
BillyShears said:

I'm not dismissing them at all, fella. They are a good side. I just think that we are a better side and we will overtake them as the race gets long haul. I think they are in the mix with us and Chelsea.

Didsbury Dave said:
ifiwasarichfan said:
Didsbury Dave said:

I'm not dismissing them at all, fella. They are a good side. I just think that we are a better side and we will overtake them as the race gets long haul. I think they are in the mix with us and Chelsea.

Tempting to dismiss the Rags but if nobody else puts a run together they will help themselves again no doubt. Every season they are written off but they always seem to be top 2. I think they will buy in January too.

Its going to be so close and in these circumstances its usually the side that makes the least mistakes that will take it. Right now that's not us but if Kompany comes back soon we have as good a chance as anyone.

I think we are a better side also.

Just a really big worry that due to a combination of a new Man at the helm, injuries, kamikaze defending by top quality International defenders, the best keeper in Europe having a crisis, a couple of bad calls from Refs, high lines, two man midfields, English players not being good enough and anything else that has come up on this thread over the past weeks that we have given them a bit of a head start ..)

If Arsenal are still top, or 2nd, at the end of the year they'll spend, and spend big, in January.

George Hannah said:
Didsbury Dave said:
BillyShears said:
Hardly a sheet of bronco as usual ;-)

Thought it was deliberate myself and exactly how he wanted the Bayern game to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.