Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2014/15 (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
flb said:
I suppose its all you expect when your team hasnt a decent English theme running through it

We had the likes of Lescott,Richards, Barry, Hart, Milner in there-lads who know this league and that you cant fudge your way through it , it will be a case or rinse and repeat im afraid until this club realises that having a core of good English players gives you longevity and stability in the dressing room.

Dzeko,Kolorov, Jovetic,Dzeko, Nasri, Yaya, Fernando just dont have the spuds for it.

The likes of Vinny and Zabba have become English by default if you like.

Will feel a lot better about this if the powers that be buy some fucking English players-they may lack technically but you certainly would want them in the trenches when the shit hits the fan.

Who, for instance?

Agree on Lescot, by the way, never mentioned, but has been a massive miss.

Nothing too fancy, simply headed or kicked the ball as far away from our goal as he could whenever it came anywhere near him.

A great deal to be said for that sort of approach, at times, in my view

Prestwich_Blue said:
stony said:
LFC-Fans said:
A lot of papers are linking Rafa with the job which is interesting.

That would be like sacking Mr Bean and hiring Selwyn Froggitt.
I mentioned this in another post or thread but it was interesting to read Craig Bellamy's view of working with Benitez. He said he was a real cold fish but the most tactically astute manager he's ever worked with. They would work on specific routines relentlessly in training, rather than just play small or full size games and they would carry out those drills to the letter on the field.

The players didn't have the freedom to make ad-hoc decisions as Bellamy reckoned Rafa didn't trust the players on or off the pitch. He would also be meticulous about finding ways of nullifying the opposition attack.

So his hallmarks were meticulous preparation but with tactical awareness & flexibility, plus great awareness of the opposition. I'm not a huge Benitez fan but isn't that what we want from Pellegrini?
If European success is what we're after then we couldn't do a lot better than Benitez, his tactical nous in working towards big matches, particularly in Europe, has been proven to be outstanding. It's his longevity over the course of the season domestically to keep relentlessly picking up points towards the title that would be the worry, but then when has he been in charge of an elite club in recent years to have the chance to demonstrate this anyway?

cookster said:
Paulmcfc2703 said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
I mentioned this in another post or thread but it was interesting to read Craig Bellamy's view of working with Benitez. He said he was a real cold fish but the most tactically astute manager he's ever worked with. They would work on specific routines relentlessly in training, rather than just play small or full size games and they would carry out those drills to the letter on the field.

The players didn't have the freedom to make ad-hoc decisions as Bellamy reckoned Rafa didn't trust the players on or off the pitch. He would also be meticulous about finding ways of nullifying the opposition attack.

So his hallmarks were meticulous preparation but with tactical awareness & flexibility, plus great awareness of the opposition. I'm not a huge Benitez fan but isn't that what we want from Pellegrini?
I think the biggest issue for Benitez at Liverpool were the number of mediocre signings.

As it seems Txiki does the signings and at best Rafa would be involved in the committee to come up with names maybe he would be a good fit.

If it comes down to Rafa or Pelle for next season well I'm quite partial to a Spanish omelette

Benitez is a huge upgrade on Pellegrini. You only have to look at the C.V.

Agreed. I'd take Vieira till end of season then either Ancelotti or Benitez next season over another year of MP

Lancet Fluke said:
Paulmcfc2703 said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

I think the biggest issue for Benitez at Liverpool were the number of mediocre signings.

As it seems Txiki does the signings and at best Rafa would be involved in the committee to come up with names maybe he would be a good fit.

If it comes down to Rafa or Pelle for next season well I'm quite partial to a Spanish omelette

Agreed, we have Txiki to make the mediocre signings so they'd get along famously at the committee.
I was hoping for a 2 wrongs make a right scenario towards the transfers to be honest

To be honest, I've been pondering this for a while, but I'm going to toss my hat into the ring.

I believe I can do as well as Pellers. Give me 150m and a shotgun with 6 rounds then judge me at the end of the season.
I believe I can learn from Brendan Rogers and improve on his technique...

"On these 6 bullets are 6 names.... don't let it be your name on one of them"

Damocles said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
stony said:

We want Pellegrini to win. And when he does that we bestow meaningless cliches on him as a form of praise.

When Pellegrini loses, we then bestow different meaningless cliches on him as a form of damnation.

Essentially managers need to win games and they're a genius or lose games and they're a moron. The reasons for which are never really defined very well and even a small prodding into the realm of the specifics shows loose logic.
I agree that a manager can do as much as he can to prepare a team to play in a match but that may not result in a win for reasons that are beyond his control.

But the central question is, do we look like we're going into games fully and properly prepared? I certainly don't get that impression.

cookster said:
Paulmcfc2703 said:
Prestwich_Blue said:

Benitez is a huge upgrade on Pellegrini. You only have to look at the C.V.

Not as nice a bloke obviously and his football can be very pragmatic but if your life depended on us qualifying for the CL this season Benitez some way ahead of Pellegrini. And as you say his CV is very impressive.

2 La Ligas, 2 UEFA Cup, a Champions League and an FA Cup.

Paulmcfc2703 said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
stony said:

Benitez style football is hardly one for the purist though is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.