Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2014/15 (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
tolmie's hairdoo said:
I am sensing a disturbance in The Force.

Txiki and Soriano replaced by Vader and the Emperor!

Lots of firepower but occasional defensive lapses let them down. Still should give us 18 years or so at the top.

[quote="Wanchope n me Dickov"]Rafa is a busted flush, nowhere near good enough. One jammy comeback in the champions league final and he let Fergie get to him in the one year he challenged for the title. The scousers can have him back when Brenda moves on.[/quote]

I wouldn't go that far but he is nowhere near the manager her was ten years ago.

He hasspent a shed load at Napoli and has failed quite significantly with them.

He only won the Europa League with Chelsea because they had by far the most outstanding squad in the competition and went into it as Champions League winners, in fact they should never have been anywhere near that competition, how they failed to get out of the CL group stage I don't know.

Don't even get me started on his time at Inter, that nearly finished him.

leech said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
stony said:
That would be like sacking Mr Bean and hiring Selwyn Froggitt.
I mentioned this in another post or thread but it was interesting to read Craig Bellamy's view of working with Benitez. He said he was a real cold fish but the most tactically astute manager he's ever worked with. They would work on specific routines relentlessly in training, rather than just play small or full size games and they would carry out those drills to the letter on the field.

The players didn't have the freedom to make ad-hoc decisions as Bellamy reckoned Rafa didn't trust the players on or off the pitch. He would also be meticulous about finding ways of nullifying the opposition attack.

So his hallmarks were meticulous preparation but with tactical awareness & flexibility, plus great awareness of the opposition. I'm not a huge Benitez fan but isn't that what we want from Pellegrini?
If European success is what we're after then we couldn't do a lot better than Benitez, his tactical nous in working towards big matches, particularly in Europe, has been proven to be outstanding. It's his longevity over the course of the season domestically to keep relentlessly picking up points towards the title that would be the worry, but then when has he been in charge of an elite club in recent years to have the chance to demonstrate this anyway?
I often joked that I'd have Benitez as our European manager and Mancini as our PL manager.

Whoever said he'd stifle creativity was correct in my view. I wouldn't want him but I do want someone who sends a team out that looks like it's prepared properly for games and a manager who could make tactical adjustments during the course of the game.

Yesterday, when it was clear we were getting ripped to shreds down our right, he should have moved Milner over there to back up Zab and Navas and nullify the threat. Yet he did nothing and watched it all unravel.

FanchesterCity said:
Liverpool fans and Benitez are like we are with Mancini.... we're in a spot of bother and we look back at the good times, and think he's the answer.
We did that with Big Mai, and arguably he set us back 20 years.

If we want to be amongst the VERY best, we need to bring in one of the very best. That's not Benitez.
Arguably, we've focused so much on the players and paid handsomely for them, but tried to do management 'on the cheap'.
Ancelotti please.

Agreed Ancelotti is the right age and has the profile. As long as Soriano and Tixixi are here its going to be difficult to get who we want, or need.

Don't shoot the messenger
Just heard from someone who works on the rags groundstaff at Carrington that the talk all day at Carrington is that Pellers will not be in charge against West Ham on Sunday

FanchesterCity said:
Liverpool fans and Benitez are like we are with Mancini.... we're in a spot of bother and we look back at the good times, and think he's the answer.
We did that with Big Mai, and arguably he set us back 20 years.

If we want to be amongst the VERY best, we need to bring in one of the very best. That's not Benitez.
Arguably, we've focused so much on the players and paid handsomely for them, but tried to do management 'on the cheap'.
Ancelotti please.

Ancelotti has huge credentials but he isn't the man to rebuild a team with predominantly young players coming in.

He is the man you give a close to if not ready made squad to get the best out of and get them over the trophy line.

His league title record is pretty shocking compared to his cup achievements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.