Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2014/15 (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
chesterbells said:
Damocles said:
I think the idea that grown men need to be bollocked to perform is ludicrous and a reflection of the fans frustration rather than their real opinions on modern management techniques

Do you people think that the best way of managing you at work is by shouting in your face?

Or would you just want to lamp the guy?

Depends what kind of job I did tbh. If I played professional sport, rugby for example, I might appreciate some lively words to get me in the mood before I went out
Many years ago I used to see Mike Summerbee fairly regularly and I remember him talking about Big Mal and his genius at man management.

He said that the players all needed a different approach to get the best out of them and that Malcolm knew just what pushed the right buttons for each player.

He admitted he needing a bollocking as Big Mal telling him he was shit, riled him and got his adrenalin flowing. He laughed about the number of times Malcolm would get under his skin and he'd go storming into see Joe Mercer.

Neil Young was quite a fragile character however and needed careful handling and an arm round the shoulder. I asked about my hero, King Colin, and he said that he needed nothing which is why he was such a great professional.

It's no surprise that Mourinho, who learned his trade at the feet of Big Mal, is so good at this as well. Baconface was a genius at this as well,knowing when to bollock someone and when they needed support.

A great manager has this range but I'm not convinced either Mancini or Pellegrini have.

chesterbells said:
Damocles said:
I think the idea that grown men need to be bollocked to perform is ludicrous and a reflection of the fans frustration rather than their real opinions on modern management techniques

Do you people think that the best way of managing you at work is by shouting in your face?

Depends what kind of job I did tbh. If I played professional sport, rugby for example, I might appreciate some lively words to get me in the mood before I went out

I competed at a half decrent level of sport and to be honest I responded to different appraoches at differnet times. Sometimes I needed a kick up the arse and some home truths, sometimes some understanding and empathy. A good manager should be able to know his charges and what they need at certain times. It would appear our current and last manager, were one dimensional opposites in this department.
65% of the time I'd probably have responded better to Mancini - would probably have hated him but would have been hungry to impress him and prove him wrong.

Prestwich_Blue said:
Many years ago I used to see Mike Summerbee fairly regularly and I remember him talking about Big Mal and his genius at man management.

He said that the players all needed a different approach to get the best out of them and that Malcolm knew just what pushed the right buttons for each player.

He admitted he needing a bollocking as Big Mal telling him he was shit, riled him and got his adrenalin flowing. He laughed about the number of times Malcolm would get under his skin and he'd go storming into see Joe Mercer.

Neil Young was quite a fragile character however and needed careful handling and an arm round the shoulder. I asked about my hero, King Colin, and he said that he needed nothing which is why he was such a great professional.

It's no surprise that Mourinho, who learned his trade at the feet of Big Mal, is so good at this as well. Baconface was a genius at this as well,knowing when to bollock someone and when they needed support.

A great manager has this range but I'm not convinced either Mancini or Pellegrini have.
Spot on PB - man management is what it is all about and Big Mal was superb at that.

I suspect the present incumbent is just too nice with everybody and tries not to upset anybody, that is why we get sod all from the referees.

Prestwich_Blue said:
chesterbells said:
Damocles said:

Absolutely PB 100%. I think it's that more than anything which puts Mourinho and Ferguson at the very top of the pile.

FanchesterCity said:
I'm sure they didn't do that. I'm sure that at 1-1 the mentality changed and we started to fear yet another disaster. By 2-1 we were in damage limitation mode, and by 3-1 a route looked on the cards.
Aguero's second had 'consolation' written all over it and yet, as unlikely is it was, it could have been 'comeback'.

I don't want to say the fight isn't in us, because for the first 20 minutes you could see it exists... but it dissipates too quickly.
Even clueless players not knowing the plan can run around like headless chickens with fury/enthusiasm/hopeless optimism. But when you're staring at your boots and walking back to the half way line after a goal that offers a glimmer of hope, it only means one thing. The fight has fled!

That explains it very well. Fragile is the word I would use to describe the players' state of mind and it comes from doubt and lack of belief in what they're doing. We know we're still a good side but the players also know we're not set up to defend properly and unless it's hunky dory like against Newcastle, the doubts start to creep in like on Sunday.

Italian papers all over the Benitez to City story. Whether this is a response to something in the press here I don't know. One things for sure it seems unlikely Rafa will be at Napoli next year.

I actually think he could come in and win something next year with us. What we are missing is organisation, not talent.

A bit of tinkering rather than the wholesale changes most seem to want.

Yaya would need to go as he doesn't really fit into any cohesive formation. And anyone else who is disaafected but overall we have a good squad with a couple of great players in Kun and Silva. Add a couple of top drawer midfielders and we are ready to go.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/feb/14/arjen-robben-bayern-munich-pep-guardiola-interview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... -interview</a>

Good interview, from a player notorious for being outspoken, he's the man if we can get him.

The slaughtered lamb said:
FanchesterCity said:
I'm sure they didn't do that. I'm sure that at 1-1 the mentality changed and we started to fear yet another disaster. By 2-1 we were in damage limitation mode, and by 3-1 a route looked on the cards.
Aguero's second had 'consolation' written all over it and yet, as unlikely is it was, it could have been 'comeback'.

I don't want to say the fight isn't in us, because for the first 20 minutes you could see it exists... but it dissipates too quickly.
Even clueless players not knowing the plan can run around like headless chickens with fury/enthusiasm/hopeless optimism. But when you're staring at your boots and walking back to the half way line after a goal that offers a glimmer of hope, it only means one thing. The fight has fled!

That explains it very well. Fragile is the word I would use to describe the players' state of mind and it comes from doubt and lack of belief in what they're doing. We know we're still a good side but the players also know we're not set up to defend properly and unless it's hunky dory like against Newcastle, the doubts start to creep in like on Sunday.

I don't think it has occurred to Pellegrini the psychological effects it could have on every single player by not paying attention to the defensive side of things. Clearly it has seen the defenders' heads completely go over time (I have no doubt that if Kompany moved to Chelsea today, he would look top class again relatively quickly) but also, what does it do to the attacking players who know that whatever they do, the opposition, no matter how shit they are, have to do very little to cancel out the goals they create/score.

robbieh said:
Italian papers all over the Benitez to City story. Whether this is a response to something in the press here I don't know. One things for sure it seems unlikely Rafa will be at Napoli next year.

I actually think he could come in and win something next year with us. What we are missing is organisation, not talent.

A bit of tinkering rather than the wholesale changes most seem to want.

Yaya would need to go as he doesn't really fit into any cohesive formation. And anyone else who is disaafected but overall we have a good squad with a couple of great players in Kun and Silva. Add a couple of top drawer midfielders and we are ready to go.

But which story is it they are all over - Benitez coming now, or in the summer? If it's the latter, I certainly hope they are looking at PV till then

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.