Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last season I had a number of frustrations with Pellegrini. The facts are we underachieved and his obsession with 442 and yaya in a midfield 2 cost us in a number of games.

This year something has happened and changed his thinking. At times of course he can play his favoured formation but in the big games he has been much more tactically astute. The best evidence of this the game at the swamp and the one v Seville in mid week.

Me personally, I've been very impressed by what I've seen this season. The way he has managed the squad without a single word of negativity from any player in the press is an absolute credit to his man management skills.

Indeed if he could teach kolarov to stop crosses coming in we would have the perfect manager lol.

The next big challenge will be how he combats liverpools high pressing tactics. Last season I think he'd have just sent us out 442 and hope it worked. This season i think he will have a specific plan to counter. Can't wait and hope he carries on and takes us on to our best ever season.

In my view silva replacing navas in that 4 3 3 is not a good idea, I think you need both navas and sterling to make it work, could he play the ya ya role? Not in the same way but we haven't seen it yet, the 4 2 3 1 using silva as the number 10 is ideal for him the problem is the 2 deeper midfielders, would he drop either silva or toure in the knock out stages or would he weaken the system to get them in, I have a feeling it will be the second but we shall soon see

For the majority of games it doesn't matter as much and we will do fine with whatever he goes with, winning the league is the number one priority for me but I am desperate to knock out one the the big boys in Europe, only then have we arrived, I think the owners will be of the same mindset

I couldn't agree more mate. 4231 with Silva as 10 is our best shape, and certainly gets the most out of him.

I agree we'd miss Navas's pace if we played 433 and swapped him for Silva. However, Silva has won a couple of European Championships with Spain playing in that position, so he's more than capable of playing there.

I've also seen him play through the middle for Spain in the (cringe) False 9 role against Scotland, and he was absolutely unbelievable. In fact it was the best I'd ever seen him play until the West Brom game.

I don't thibk either of them are his best position, but I fully expect Pep to play 433 when he comes, and I'm sure he'd want to fit him in somewhere.

In my view silva replacing navas in that 4 3 3 is not a good idea, I think you need both navas and sterling to make it work, could he play the ya ya role? Not in the same way but we haven't seen it yet, the 4 2 3 1 using silva as the number 10 is ideal for him the problem is the 2 deeper midfielders, would he drop either silva or toure in the knock out stages or would he weaken the system to get them in, I have a feeling it will be the second but we shall soon see

For the majority of games it doesn't matter as much and we will do fine with whatever he goes with, winning the league is the number one priority for me but I am desperate to knock out one the the big boys in Europe, only then have we arrived, I think the owners will be of the same mindset

Now we have seen that 433 4141system work, we should experiment with it & refine it imo. If that means one or two of the big players have to be left out in certain games, then so be it.

I think Silva & DeBruyne can play in that, but not with Yaya as well. We would also have to be more cautious with the fullbacks. Or in Kolarov's case, find one.

It wouldn't be the exact same thing as v Seville, as Silva & DeBruyne would likely float about more, but that would potentially be even more dangerous, with Aguero involved. It would still have the crucial element of overunning the oppo in midfield & pressing the ball. The downside would be a little bit less pace & not as much cover for the fullbacks.

I think there are a bunch of lineups that could work with that system, & all would be a different problem for the oppo.

I couldn't agree more mate. 4231 with Silva as 10 is our best shape, and certainly gets the most out of him.

I agree we'd miss Navas's pace if we played 433 and swapped him for Silva. However, Silva has won a couple of European Championships with Spain playing in that position, so he's more than capable of playing there.

I've also seen him play through the middle for Spain in the (cringe) False 9 role against Scotland, and he was absolutely unbelievable. In fact it was the best I'd ever seen him play until the West Brom game.

I don't thibk either of them are his best position, but I fully expect Pep to play 433 when he comes, and I'm sure he'd want to fit him in somewhere.

Silva can play anywhere long the 3 no problem, genius of a player, just causes a problem defensively as we've seen the past when silva and nasri have occupied wider positions, I just feel if we play one of the big European teams one of silva or ya ya should be dropped and which one depends on the formation, how well that would go down with them especially toure could be a problem

Now we have seen that 433 4141system work, we should experiment with it & refine it imo. If that means one or two of the big players have to be left out in certain games, then so be it.

I think Silva & DeBruyne can play in that, but not with Yaya as well. We would also have to be more cautious with the fullbacks. Or in Kolarov's case, find one.

It wouldn't be the exact same thing as v Seville, as Silva & DeBruyne would likely float about more, but that would potentially be even more dangerous, with Aguero involved. It would still have the crucial element of overunning the oppo in midfield & pressing the ball. The downside would be a little bit less pace & not as much cover for the fullbacks.

I think there are a bunch of lineups that could work with that system, & all would be a different problem for the oppo.

I think as a supporter it comes down to how you like to see a team set up, I tend to look at the defence first, the pleasing thing about the Sevilla game though was the amount of good chances we created, second highest in the comp I read somewhere, it shows you don't always need to throw all your creative players on at one time to play entertaining football, I have always thought balance is the most important part of any team

I think as a supporter it comes down to how you like to see a team set up, I tend to look at the defence first, the pleasing thing about the Sevilla game though was the amount of good chances we created, second highest in the comp I read somewhere, it shows you don't always need to throw all your creative players on at one time to play entertaining football, I have always thought balance is the most important part of any team

I agree.

I think this City team has always lacked balance, even moreso in Mancini's time but made up for it with sheer quality. Even when we have had cover in midfield, they have tended to be slow or just not good enough. The two Ferns plus Yaya. Is different. Maybe it would still have balance if DeBruyne or Silva played Yaya's role. Worth a try if we are a few goals up v someone.

I agree.

I think this City team has always lacked balance, even moreso in Mancini's time but made up for it with sheer quality. Even when we have had cover in midfield, they have tended to be slow or just not good enough. The two Ferns plus Yaya. Is different. Maybe it would still have balance if DeBruyne or Silva played Yaya's role. Worth a try if we are a few goals up v someone.

The juve and Arsenal games will be interesting

Some of them are good enough & that point was passed quite some time ago. One or two should have been 'deemed' good enough, ages ago. In fact Rony Lopes was 'deemed' good enough two seasons ago, had a great game, proved himself worthy of consideration for the squad, had one iffy game in a shit team performance & his City career effectively finished that day. Meanwhile Kolarov can have as many iffy games as he likes & still be trusted season after season.

That's absolutely not right.

People can pretend it is, all they like, but it isn't.
Who in the club is saying they are good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.