Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think our deffensive problems have been coached into the players. They seem to overly use the offside trap to the point it's all they can concentrate on. It should be used to push sides out and hold a high a line as possible. We try and use it to the point the players can't concentrate on simple things like tackling getting tight to players and blocking runs or passes.

The mistakes are in the main down to him, just not in the way you think. He's the manager so he ultimately carries the can for poor performances, and even for individual errors if they lead to poor results. But the idea that Pellegrini's coaching is the reason Mangala inexplicably cleared the ball to an Arsenal player is really quite absurd.

I don't think we'll be chasing an automatic CL place. We'll be chasing the title. It's a fucking crazy season in which anyone can beat anyone, so I'm not overly worried that Arsenal are suddenly going on a long unbeaten run or that we can't overhaul a six point gap on them and Leicester.

I wish I could agree with you, but everything I've seen this season (bar the first 3 games) screams the exact opposite. 5 defeats, including 3 absolute batterings, 2 or 3 ill deserved wins in games where we've been truly awful, a 12 game run (equating to roughly a third of the season), which places us in 13th place in the form league, crazy team selections, formations that accentuate our weaknesses - you absolve Eliaquim Mangala there, but who repeatedly places him in a high defensive line with Ya Ya as his non-existent screen and opposition numbers bearing down on him, when he clearly and repeatedly lacks the composure and judgment to deal with immediate pressure? - Joe Hart called upon 4 or 5 times a game to save from point blank range, a tactical obstinacy that beggars belief, daft substitutions, 1 goal and no wins in our last 5 away games, an imbalanced squad that is both mentally and physically weak, we're getting to the point that unless the opposition are a naive lower mid table outfit like Bournemouth, foolish enough to try and play an open game on a bowling green of a pitch, I genuinely can't see where the wins are gonna come from.

You think we'll beat Leicester or Watford with their well documented aggression and pace on bobbly pitches, cos I'm fucked if I do? I'm resigned to the fact that we're stuck with a lame duck manager until (hopefully) Pep arrives, but Delph on the left flank last night with Ya Ya in the middle again was something close to the final straw. I'd take top 4 right now like a shot if it was offered, cos Pellers' management of the assets at his disposal this season has bordered on the criminal

I wish I could agree with you, but everything I've seen this season (bar the first 3 games) screams the exact opposite. 5 defeats, including 3 absolute batterings, 2 or 3 ill deserved wins in games where we've been awful, a 12 game run (equating to roughly a third of the season), which places us in 13th place in the form league, crazy team selections, formations that accentuate our weaknesses - you absolve Eliaquim Mangala there, but who repeatedly places him in a high defensive line with Ya Ya as his non-existent screen and opposition numbers bearing down on him, when he clearly and repeatedly lacks the composure and judgment to deal with immediate pressure? - Joe Hart called upon 4 or 5 times a game to save from point blank range, a tactical obstinacy that beggars belief, daft substitutions, 1 goal and no wins in our last 5 away games, an imbalanced squad that is both mentally and physically weak, we're getting to the point that unless the opposition are a naive lower mid table outfit like Bournemouth, foolish enough to try and play an open game on a bowling green of a pitch, I genuinely can't see where the wins are gonna come from.

You think we'll beat Leicester or Watford with their well documented aggression and pace on bobbly pitches, cos I'm fucked if I do? I'm resigned to the fact that we're stuck with a lame duck manager until (hopefully) Pep arrives, but Delph on the left flank last night with Ya Ya in the middle again was something close to the final straw. I'd take top 4 right now like a shot if it was offered

Some of the characterisations you make about what Pellegrini does are way OTT. I find it hard to discuss him with you for that reason. I'm simply not that negative and I can't get into a mindset where I'm giving up the league in December. I heard 90% of what you say the season we won the title under him.

The moment you realise that this isn't us attacking and it's actually us trying to defend...

CW0LauJXIAAuKzA.jpg
I was shocked at the time when this happened especially when you look top right and see Kolarov wheezing his way back whilst doing a warm down jog. Shocking defending and all too common since our defensive solidity was abandoned in favour of a Keegan-esque all out attacking ethos.

This isn't how a top team is supposed to defend.

Walcott's goal was from distance and Arsenal haven't scored from distance all season.

If that was most other premiership sides they were playing he wouldn't have had the time or space to get off a shot like that or at least it would have been blocked as is the case these days when sides actually set up to defend which says it all about our defence under MP.

Good strike yes but make it too easy for sides to comes at us applying next to no pressure on the man with the ball as was the case for their second goal as well.

Not compact , not organised and gifting goals to mediocre opposition.

Its a disgrace how easy we make it for opposition sides.

I think that's 2 cleans sheets in our last 21 games and we will struggle to make top four if we don't start keeping clean sheets.

Rather than playing to a " system " that clearly doesn't work in the premiership any more players should just use common sense and make Joe's job a little easier as plucking the ball out of his own net will become commonplace if it isn't already.

That above image is ridiculous, sums up our defending since Pellegrini got here.

The hierarchy are obviously willing to settle for hopefully a top 4 finish and thus guaranteeing Peps appointment in the summer. That being said like us they must be very disappointed with how the league is going. It's a shame as we have a few world class players in their prime who should be winning a league title this season. We may still win it if we get everyone fit but we have left ourselves a huge task.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.