Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone mentioned this earlier and it got me thinking, I remember not so long ago when we stepped out on the pitch I never expected us to lose and the draw was the least we'd get in the main. Fast forward 3 seasons and now I feel like I did pre takeover that we stand a good chance of getting beat in every game we play which is crazy considering the squad we have at our disposal.

Boy, how times and perceptions have changed. Every match I go to now no matter who we play my heart is pounding away nervously as I'm expecting the worst. Those days of us bossing Arsehole-nal and ManUre seem a long distant memory now.... What the fuck have we done to ourselves to allow them to close the gap on us so rapidly FFP or no FFP.

I wish I could agree with you, but everything I've seen this season (bar the first 3 games) screams the exact opposite. 5 defeats, including 3 absolute batterings, 2 or 3 ill deserved wins in games where we've been truly awful, a 12 game run (equating to roughly a third of the season), which places us in 13th place in the form league, crazy team selections, formations that accentuate our weaknesses - you absolve Eliaquim Mangala there, but who repeatedly places him in a high defensive line with Ya Ya as his non-existent screen and opposition numbers bearing down on him, when he clearly and repeatedly lacks the composure and judgment to deal with immediate pressure? - Joe Hart called upon 4 or 5 times a game to save from point blank range, a tactical obstinacy that beggars belief, daft substitutions, 1 goal and no wins in our last 5 away games, an imbalanced squad that is both mentally and physically weak, we're getting to the point that unless the opposition are a naive lower mid table outfit like Bournemouth, foolish enough to try and play an open game on a bowling green of a pitch, I genuinely can't see where the wins are gonna come from.

You think we'll beat Leicester or Watford with their well documented aggression and pace on bobbly pitches, cos I'm fucked if I do? I'm resigned to the fact that we're stuck with a lame duck manager until (hopefully) Pep arrives, but Delph on the left flank last night with Ya Ya in the middle again was something close to the final straw. I'd take top 4 right now like a shot if it was offered, cos Pellers' management of the assets at his disposal this season has bordered on the criminal

The football has become very droll as well and its clear a number of players don't care too much for the way we go about our game any more or failing that are uncomfortable coping with it.

Some of the characterisations you make about what Pellegrini does are way OTT. I find it hard to discuss him with you for that reason. I'm simply not that negative and I can't get into a mindset where I'm giving up the league in December. I heard 90% of what you say the season we won the title under him.

Fair enough, although I would question your motivation for the highlighted part. Not everyone who expresses doubt about MP on here is a moron with no understanding of the game, and the fact that I have voiced unfounded concern in the past (whilst broadly backing the bloke - you will recall that I too was on the receiving end of St Helen's Blue's final demented rant), doesn't automatically invalidate those concerns now. Very obviously others have also been culpable for the current slump, but ultimately he's in charge and IMO his management of the team has been shockingly poor at times this season. Would he still be in charge if we weren't locked into the current Pep impasse? I'm not convinced he wouldn't be more than a couple more defeats from the sack to be honest, Chimps League group winners or not. A couple of confidence boosting wins against Leicester and Sunderland wouldn't go amiss

Last edited:
I hate to say it because he's been a legend for us, but Yaya should not start in away Premier League games. Get the the young energetic players to absorb the work rate of the opposition for an hour and then unleash Toure for the last 30 mins when they start tiring and he will have a major impact.
Of course this is far too radical so will never happen

Fair enough, although I would question your motivation for the highlighted part. Not everyone who expresses doubt about MP on here is a moron with no understanding of the game, and the fact that I have voiced unfounded concern in the past (whilst broadly backing the bloke - you will recall that I too was on the receiving end of St Helen's Blue's final demented rant), doesn't automatically invalidate those concerns now. Very obviously others have also been culpable for the current slump, but ultimately he's in charge and IMO his management of the team has been shockingly poor at times this season. Would he still be in charge if we weren't locked into the current Pep impasse? I'm not convinced he wouldn't be more than a couple more defeats from the sack to be honest, Chimps League group winners or not

Notwithstanding the fact that I agree that in 2015 he has made some poor decisions, I still can't bring myself to give up on the title in December when the league is as topsy turvy as it is right now. I personally also think there's an incredibly arrogant viewpoint which is fostered all over this forum whereby we're supposed to accept that the league is shit. It isn't. It's the most competitive it's been for years. There are top players in almost every side in the top half of the table. Match winners galore. And the promoted sides who have come up are doing the damnedest to stay in the league by playing football in the right way as well. The only teams really struggling are the ones who's football is dated.

None of that absolves Pellegrini of his responsibilities. It's just getting a bit much now the way people are saying that we should be walking the league. We shouldn't. This isn't the Bundesliga or La Liga and we aren't their equivalent of Bayern or Barca. Yet.

Notwithstanding the fact that I agree that in 2015 he has made some poor decisions, I still can't bring myself to give up on the title in December when the league is as topsy turvy as it is right now. I personally also think there's an incredibly arrogant viewpoint which is fostered all over this forum whereby we're supposed to accept that the league is shit. It isn't. It's the most competitive it's been for years. There are top players in almost every side in the top half of the table. Match winners galore. And the promoted sides who have come up are doing the damnedest to stay in the league by playing football in the right way as well. The only teams really struggling are the ones who's football is dated.

None of that absolves Pellegrini of his responsibilities. It's just getting a bit much now the way people are saying that we should be walking the league. We shouldn't. This isn't the Bundesliga or La Liga and we aren't their equivalent of Bayern or Barca. Yet.

The only teams really struggling are the ones who's football is dated.

Pellegrini?

The only teams really struggling are the ones who's football is dated.

Pellegrini?

Cracking riposte mate. Not entirely sure what it makes those serial winners Mourinho and Van Gaal but hey ... lets not get involved in having a bit of perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.