Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the problems seem so obvious though.
We carry a number of skilful players who don't do enough work to try and win the ball back (Aguero, Silva, Toure, Sterling, De Bruyne etc.) then we ask our full backs to bomb forward at every opportunity.......its no wonder we are stretched at the back, there's often only the two CBs left to fend of 4-5 rampaging opposition attackers.
In the short term I would adapt our style and keep the full backs in position to make us more 'solid', let the attacking players get the opportunities themselves for a bit

Despite spending 70 million on centre backs we still can't defend. The midfield obviously takes major responsibility for this but the back four look as if they have received no coaching at all.

Pellegrini took over a top side who had lost the league but still managed the FA cup final. At times they ran out of ideas but due to defensive discipline we never looked shambolic.

Now we seem to have run out of attacking ideas so when you throw in the laughable defending it's obvious we are in deep trouble. Pellegrini's fans are just burying their collective heads in the sand. This is a major downward trajectory and he is incapable of sorting it out.

Despite his magnificent goal last night Yaya should not be starting any games never mind being captain. We are going to need legs against Leicester and Watford. Two poor results and in my view Pellegrini's position becomes untenable.

The man is an absolute Clown, his pre match spiel about the team that had the most possession would win the game proved to be his usual naive nonsense.

Arsenal now have a plan for us, which funnily enough is the same fucking plan that everyone else has, keep it tight and wait for the inevitable mistake in our shambles of a defense. We haven't got the technical quality in defense to execute this plan , yet time and again our defenders are receiving the ball looking flustered and gift possession which means the opposition are in behind with no cover.

How the fuck can he not see this, he just sends out the same team , time an again hoping for a result rather than expecting one.

Why didn't we go there last with a view to keeping it tight and playing on the counter?

Why dont we try and play just the one play maker that offers no defensive qualities rather than the three we had in there last night, especially away from home?

Why play Aguero from the start when he's nowhere near match fit?

Why play Delph on the left when its not his position, especially when we needed his energy in midfield to plug the gaping chasm that is our central midfield

It was telling that Carragher mentioned they spoke to Lampard off Camera last week and he said that Pellegrini prefers to have Yaya in the side as he doesn't trust our other midfielders in posession. If he needs to accomodate him then set the system up around him, play him at the base of a midfield three in a Pirlo type roll. Play Delph and Fernandinho ahead of him to do his running. The reason he doesn't is because the club bought another player in the summer that we didn't need , namely De Bruyne. We already had two similar Attacking midfielders in Nasri and Silva, we didn't need another. What we needed was a world class centre midfielder, someone to take up the slack from when Yaya is gone. Our team is completely unbalanced because of this lack of foresight. He is trying to get all our best players on the pitch at the same time rather than playing the best team, but his had has been forced by the choices of the DoF

I agree that a lot of the teams are better than they have been historically, but looking just at City, we haven't played well for a while now. In fact, apart from the odd game, we have barely played well since the first 4/5 games of the season. Out of a possible 18 points, we have picked up 7.

Just as it was clear something was wrong in Mancini's final season, it appears something is wrong this season. We should not be putting in the level of performance we are at the moment (although we were slightly better last night).

We are way, way below the sum of our parts at the moment, way below. Apart from the odd player (Fernandinho springs to mind), we don't look motivated - hart suggested as much in his post match interview against Swansea. I'm not suggesting the players have fallen out with him the way they did Mancini, but something isn't right. Furthermore, our record against the "top clubs" this season is very, very poor - and hasn't ever been particularly great under Pellegrini. If I was being really critical, I could argue whether we class Chelsea as a "top team" for this season, and therefore dismiss that win - but that seems a bit harsh as I'm not quite sure when the Chelsea rot set in. Plus, that was a gray win. Apart from that, though, you look at Spurs, United, Liverpool and Arsenal, and it makes pretty poor reading.

As someone said earlier, a few seasons ago I would go into games very rarely thinking we would lose. It doesn't seem like that anymore. I don't hold much confidence going into Leicester away, and that could adult out us 9 points behind them, depending on what happens in the respective Boxing Day games.

I accept the only way is up, really, in terms of our performances, and we still have players to come back into the team and regain fitness, which is at least a positive.

It's disappointing at the moment watching city, especially when you consider the amount of money we have pumped into our CB position, and we still look lost without kompany.

I do question whether he would still be in a job if we weren't confident about pep?

I think people are vastly overstating how poor we have been since our first 5 games this season. There have been pockets of poor performances, but then there have also been terrible individual performances which have seriously effected certain results. I can't agree that this is similar to Mancini's last season in charge because that season ended trophyless and I'll take anyones money that this season won't.

Having said that I fully agree that the bad, has been awful, abject, and woeful. Stoke was a joke. Villa at home a rinse and repeat of so many lazy performances from that core group of players. It's a problem that we have had for a long time, and it certainly predates Pellegrini. For how many years have we been talking about a mentality issue within this group of players?

I'm as disappointed as anyone that we're not top of the league and we've had some poor performances. However I guess I have a VERY different perspective to a lot of people on here. They're obsessed with this idea that because we've spent so much money we must be fully functioning all the time and if we aren't then heads must roll (not just the managers - we're once again sacking half the board as well). It's just all a bit much and a bit tragic in comparison to the reality of where we're going and who the next manager will be. Disappointment should be tempered rather than overstated in our circumstances.

Couple of questions...

Of those who were here when Pellegrini took over, who has improved?

Of those who have come in since he got here, how many have improved from what they showed at their previous club?

Somehow, Pellegrini has taken us backwards. A remarkable feat considering some of the class players we have & how much we've spent .

Have to say I'm struggling to see past this now. First season was superb. Second season was naff. Third season gives you the chance to prove the second was a hangover - We heard all the same talk from all the same players about being 'hungry to win the league back'. We started like it, then Chelsea fell away and we seem to have taken that as cue to put our feet up and fuck about.

I always think the sign of a good coach is his backline and motivation.
There's so much involved from marking, set-pieces, how high they play, how unified are they when they move.

Magical players will always have the potential to do something special but the defence always has to play as a unit and as a team.

When you look at Mancinis team his defence and motivation was top-class. Players ended up not liking him because he forced them to get results but that's another story.

When you look at what MP has done to us - and the players, it truly is shocking.
We look like a Sunday 11 side.

He settled the squad down with his damp squid attitude after Bobbys aggression and maybe it was needed - hence MP first decent title - when to be fair he tried to throw the title away then as well.
But we have steadily declined and so have the players.

You only need to look at KDB. When he got here he was full of passion and desire. He was immense but it's slowly been killed and now along with most of the squad he's struggling.

Whoever comes in the summer - hopefully Pep - needs to have the balls to drop Yaya too.

I think people are vastly overstating how poor we have been since our first 5 games this season. There have been pockets of poor performances, but then there have also been terrible individual performances which have seriously effected certain results. I can't agree that this is similar to Mancini's last season in charge because that season ended trophyless and I'll take anyones money that this season won't.

Having said that I fully agree that the bad, has been awful, abject, and woeful. Stoke was a joke. Villa at home a rinse and repeat of so many lazy performances from that core group of players. It's a problem that we have had for a long time, and it certainly predates Pellegrini. For how many years have we been talking about a mentality issue within this group of players?

I'm as disappointed as anyone that we're not top of the league and we've had some poor performances. However I guess I have a VERY different perspective to a lot of people on here. They're obsessed with this idea that because we've spent so much money we must be fully functioning all the time and if we aren't then heads must roll (not just the managers - we're once again sacking half the board as well). It's just all a bit much and a bit tragic in comparison to the reality of where we're going and who the next manager will be. Disappointment should be tempered rather than overstated in our circumstances.
The point regarding money was directed mainly at the defence. When we have piled in as much money as we have into that position, and still rely on kompany, it's very disappointing.

Who knows how this season will turn out, but at the moment it looks like the players have switched off, and we will trundle on until we get Pep. I think there have been more poor performances than good, since the first 5 games.

Can anyone remember the last time we went at a time from the first minute and showed our intentions?

Was it Sevilla away?

Sick of watching this team decide to start playing catch up in the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.