Discussion: Potential Pellegrini Replacements {merged}

• Thread starter Deleted member 58678
  • Start date
Re: If Not Manuel Pellegrini then who?

Marvin said:
It worked in the short term, but as Ferguson proved many many times, the manager has to run the club. The policy of City after Mancini was holistic management which is consent. That doesn't work when players back off. Then they have to be confronted and moved on if they can't respond. We have got a lot of senior players who have taken their foot off the gas and now they can't be bothered as literally half the team are half way out of the door.

Ferguson is just one example though and United's capitulation after he left is a great example of why that model is one of a bygone era. At Chelsea, Bayern, Dortmund, Real Madrid, Atletico, Barca, Milan, Juve, and basically every other top club in the world the club is ran long term by the executive staff.

Even Mourinho has a Director of Football; one whose resignation was rejected when Mourinho was appointed and Mou was told that he was essentially to work with him.

The club is ran by the CEO and the Director of Football over the longer term, and the manager is in charge of the first team squad of players. This is how every modern football organisation in the world is ran now.

Damocles said:
Marvin said:
It worked in the short term, but as Ferguson proved many many times, the manager has to run the club. The policy of City after Mancini was holistic management which is consent. That doesn't work when players back off. Then they have to be confronted and moved on if they can't respond. We have got a lot of senior players who have taken their foot off the gas and now they can't be bothered as literally half the team are half way out of the door.

Ferguson is just one example though and United's capitulation after he left is a great example of why that model is one of a bygone era. At Chelsea, Bayern, Dortmund, Real Madrid, Atletico, Barca, Milan, Juve, and basically every other top club in the world the club is ran long term by the executive staff.

Even Mourinho has a Director of Football; one whose resignation was rejected when Mourinho was appointed and Mou was told that he was essentially to work with him.

The club is ran by the CEO and the Director of Football over the longer term, and the manager is in charge of the first team squad of players. This is how every modern football organisation in the world is ran now.
I was not referring to the Football Director versus Football manager model. It does not follow that just because there is a division of labour amongst exeutives that players can't be moved on or a tough stance be laid down.

Marvin said:
Ric said:
Marvin said:
You're right. A lot said we'd regret it at the time. Turns out we should have backed the then manager.

I'm not sure there's much difference between 2012/13 and this season. On that basis, are you saying we should back the manager now?
Mancini didn't get the backing of his board and the players knew it and got him sacked in that never to be forgotten no show at Wembley.

If we'd have backed Mancini and shown some of the senior players the door then then we'd have been ok

I am not so sure about keeping Mancini as his style would only have made things more strained with the passage of time.

He served his purpose domestically at least likewise MP but I agree with you that many of our squad are at the crossroads.

Some of course need new challenges and will still play good football but I seriously doubt they are capable of taking us to the next level.

Its usually a combination of both , the players lack the belief and lose trust in the manager.

Either way its not an excuse and there is no excuse for our efforts this season in many of the games we should have performed and esnured we got results in which we didn't and you have highlighted a few and believe me there have many more and some of our victories have been flattering as well.

Last night probably showed us and the wider public that many of our squad have served there time with us , we will agree on some and maybe disagree on others but I think your point on leadership is well made as both of them are showing little at the most important time of the season.

If Vinny is captain of our side next season believe me will go backwards at a greater rate than would otherwise.

We will only improve next season if we bring in hungry , younger quality players over the summer irrespective of whether we finish in the top four or not.

Finishing out of top four to winning the title the following season is no longer as far a stretch as it once was.

There are at least 6 sides that could win the title next season which is good for the competition.

If we get our act together over the summer and its important we do then being out of Chumps League may not be as bad as many think it will be.

Marvin said:
Damocles said:
Marvin said:

I was not referring to the Football Director versus Football manager model. It does not follow that just because there is a division of labour amongst exeutives that players can't be moved on or a tough stance be laid down.

Almost seems like we are struggling to find a middle ground. If you believe everything you read, Mancini was too authoritarian and now Pellegrini seems to be almost the 180 from that, too soft with them. There has to be a middle ground manager out there who can kick some arse and make a tough decision when he needs to (Pellers did it to great effect with Hart but nothing (that has made sense) since) but also put an arm around the big fucking babies (there will always be some no matter how much we chop and change) and get them on the page when necessary.

Couple that with the fans and owners expectations and you have one of the toughest gigs in football management. Not many at all who can fit the bill.

sam-caddick said:
He will be sacked if we carry on the way we are and the only replacement would be Vieira.

We cannot risk dropping out often top 4, absolute no chance!

The players need motivation more than anything and Vieira would get them going all out in my opinion.

I admire Pellegrini but he has got be one of the most uninspiring managers I have ever seen and watching the players today I think they have lost touch with him.
Motivation doesn't come from a manager. It comes from the players themselves. If playing football for a living, earning millions of pounds doesn't motivate you to win football matches than nothing will. I'm motivated to win 5 a side matches that I pay to play.

However I don't see a lack of motivation it's more to do with a lack of form. This is a tough league. Bad runs will happen.

IH8MUFC said:
sam-caddick said:
He will be sacked if we carry on the way we are and the only replacement would be Vieira.

We cannot risk dropping out often top 4, absolute no chance!

The players need motivation more than anything and Vieira would get them going all out in my opinion.

I admire Pellegrini but he has got be one of the most uninspiring managers I have ever seen and watching the players today I think they have lost touch with him.
Motivation doesn't come from a manager. It comes from the players themselves. If playing football for a living, earning millions of pounds doesn't motivate you to win football matches than nothing will. I'm motivated to win 5 a side matches that I pay to play.

However I don't see a lack of motivation it's more to do with a lack of form. This is a tough league. Bad runs will happen.

Disagree pal.

Motivation is a huge part of man management nowadays.

I look at they way Simeone gets his players up for games and even I would run through brick walls for the bloke and I don't know him.

Pellegrini comes across as a nice man but a very dull character, he looks great to get a long but I wouldn't be inspired by him.

I would run through a brick wall if Simeone asked me to.
Mainly due to the repercussions if i do not, he looks a proper mean **** !

mancity1 said:
Marvin said:
Ric said:
I'm not sure there's much difference between 2012/13 and this season. On that basis, are you saying we should back the manager now?
Mancini didn't get the backing of his board and the players knew it and got him sacked in that never to be forgotten no show at Wembley.

If we'd have backed Mancini and shown some of the senior players the door then then we'd have been ok

I am not so sure about keeping Mancini as his style would only have made things more strained with the passage of time.

He served his purpose domestically at least likewise MP but I agree with you that many of our squad are at the crossroads.

Some of course need new challenges and will still play good football but I seriously doubt they are capable of taking us to the next level.

Its usually a combination of both , the players lack the belief and lose trust in the manager.

Either way its not an excuse and there is no excuse for our efforts this season in many of the games we should have performed and esnured we got results in which we didn't and you have highlighted a few and believe me there have many more and some of our victories have been flattering as well.

Last night probably showed us and the wider public that many of our squad have served there time with us , we will agree on some and maybe disagree on others but I think your point on leadership is well made as both of them are showing little at the most important time of the season.

If Vinny is captain of our side next season believe me will go backwards at a greater rate than would otherwise.

We will only improve next season if we bring in hungry , younger quality players over the summer irrespective of whether we finish in the top four or not.

Finishing out of top four to winning the title the following season is no longer as far a stretch as it once was.

There are at least 6 sides that could win the title next season which is good for the competition.

If we get our act together over the summer and its important we do then being out of Chumps League may not be as bad as many think it will be.

It will be as the caliber of players we should be signing should be in CL clubs so being in the CL will definitely affect signings

Further a drop ti Europa would mean that we will still be ffp limited on spending (even if we were to spend over the odds which I don't think we will)

And the resulting reduction in revenues will also decrease our transfer kitty

CelesteItis said:
Nick Cushing.

After reading all the doom and gloom this comment raised a smile! Also put Toni Duggan upfront, she'd show much more determination & bottle than Edin "Shithouse" Dzeko did yesterday.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.