Discussion: Potential Pellegrini Replacements {merged}

• Thread starter Deleted member 58678
  • Start date
tolmie's hairdoo said:
Txiki is following the same path as Marwood, scapegoat for everything.

Begiristain offered Klopp the job when he first arrived and was turned down.

He has a decent relationship with the guy, having been a virtual ever-present visitor to the club when scouting Gotze and Reus.

There was absolutely no reason for what Klopp decided to do today, unless he felt it necessary to send a message or cede to a request.

So you see us going back in for Klopp the Tolm?

I really hope we get him.

Lovebitesandeveryfing said:
sam-caddick said:
bugsyblue said:
Have I missed something? Why are people slating city? Have they officially ruled out Klopp?

Amy Lewis @SkySportsAmy · 1h 1 hour ago
Sources: Man City aren’t looking at Jurgen Klopp to become their next manager &, at this stage, have no plans to replace Manuel Pelligrini.

I think it's just your basic brief to the media to not destabilise the team with rumours whilst we are still in a battle for 4th.

If Manuel is here next season I think a lot on here will be holding Txiki out banners next season and ticket sales will be down.

This sounds like good sense to me. It's just your basic standard denial. It also might be just a question of common courtesy, something which clearly counts in Abu Dhabi. I think we'd be nuts not to be at least sounding out Klopp. But noboby's going to make that public at this point. It would something of a promotion for him. But Pep? Why on earth would he leave Bayern?

History will show the decision to remove MP was made some time ago and discussions have been taking place with other candidates sometime ago.

The good point has been made though that it won't be that easy to remove the deadwood in our side on high wages on longish contracts without selling them at cheaper prices which we would now be prepared to do to a point and that is what could assist MP's chances of staying in the job another 12 months in an indirect way.

If you cannot get anybody , MP was by no means the only person ( certianly not our first choice ) we would have spoken to after we decided to rid ourselves of RM again a decision that would have been at least unofficially sanctioned well before it went to press then you have to stick with who you have unless its patently obvious the manager has lost the dressing room.

He has placed very little faith in Sagna, Lampard ( especially since Jan ) , Mangala , Fernando etc for much of this season certainly since our quick demise and that tells you in part about his relationship with Txiki and his coaching style.

Let's not forget that City can't automatically choose who they want.
A manager has to choose us too.

We don't know what the hell is going on, but for all we know, City may have talked to Klopp and been told he's not interested. It's a courtship between two parties, and you just can't force one to love the other.

BlueDejong said:
@City_Watch: City will not go for Klopp even if they sack Pellegrini according to The Times. Well, that rumour was fun while it lasted.

Oh....Txiki....shit

I am not convinced by that, again it just sounds like a brief from City to the media.

How will all these media outlets know what we are thinking within a few hours of Klopp announcing he is leaving?

I want Txiki out though, the guy looks clueless to me.

You do wonder - if there is any truth in this Pep promised he will come in 2016 - rumour - if it was not some kind of wind up based on his familiarity with the people he was talking to and how much they might think his promise was sacred years ahead of time.

Because by accident or design Manchester City treading water for years hoping he will ride in like the cavalry could be very beneficial to the club he is at right now (or any other he might eventually go to) as it lowers the likelihood of City becoming a major champions league threat in the interim. Assuming they chose not to appoint any other top rank manager in the expectation that doing so would likely stop the chance of Pep in whatever year he has intimated that he might be willing to arrive.

Given the apparent desire to have Pep and only Pep being suggested any astute manager who actually was more interested in eventually going to a rival club might see this as a way to destabilise one of the biggest threats in the meantime.

Conspiracy thinking no doubt. But if it really is such an obsession and there is no cast iron guarantee (how can there be?) then it would make a weird kind of sense.

nellyonthewing said:
There is an almost fanatical belief amongst many on here that our hierachy are the fount of all wisdom. This near religious doctrine that they are sitting on their golden thrones out thinking all comers is dangerously skewed.
Just try questioning their infallible strategic planning and you will be subjected to self righteous rage at your blasphemy.

Personally I think they may just have fucked up quite a bit this past year.

People who do not even understand the corporate structure at City should have absolutely no opinion on the corporate performance of them. People who don't understand what their job is should not have an opinion on what type of a job they have done. This isn't associated just with our Directors but with everything in the entire world.

Do you know what I think our hierarchy are? Talented individuals with a great track record of success in football, and a vision for how best to run a football business. The people who appointed them in Abu Dhabi and gave them carte blanche over the entire City brand and direction seem to agree. Speak to people who know a lot about how the Sheikhs in Abu Dhabi conduct their business and they'll all tell you the same in that their specific talent lies in identifying talent at an executive level then getting out of the way whilst these people run it long term.

What they don't do is hire a talented executive team with a great track record and a specific vision then sack them because we got beat by Crystal Palace and the squad needs a refresher.

I and others like me feel the need to defend them from unfair criticism, not because it is critical but because it is unfair. Because Txiki came along I had no idea how many people on this forum didn't understand the role of a Director of Football or what their actual job is as this is constantly a source of argument. Txiki Begiristain does the same job that Brian Marwood has always done for us at a much higher level than Marwood did. In terms of DoFs in the world he's the Lionel Messi. Ferran Soriano came in to take over the position left by Cook as the manager of the whole business. In terms of CEOs he's probably a Yaya Toure in that he has tremendous vision and ambition but has lead him down bad paths now and again.

If half the forum decided to start criticising Joe Hart because he wasn't scoring enough goals then he'd also be defended with equal vigour. I have yet to see, and obviously I read almost every post made on the forum as a moderator, a single intelligent post that correctly identifies what the relative positions and responsibilities of these people are and tells me why they're anything but a complete success in that role. I think I might have seen about three that contain legitimate criticism in a specific direction that is fair.

This single issue is by far the biggest misconception that we have on the forum to the point where the moderators actually had to split threads because so many people don't seem to understand who does what and were blaming Soriano when we got beat or Txiki when somebody had a bad game. I don't think I've ever seen anything like the myths surrounding their job performance like this on any internet site before.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.